• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Powdercoating

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can engine parts such as intake manifolds be powdercoated and will they hold up to the heat ?

KBUCK1

Ive seen intakes done. Powder coating is baked on or cured around 400 degrees so I would think the intake would be fine. Also I believe they make specific powders for high temp applications. You may want to let wait and here from somebody who knows for sure. Like I said ive seen it done but I couldn't say if it would hold up or not

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
Broncosam.. we need a get together. After Derby hit me up. Love to see what you are up too. I need motivation.. :)

OP
OP
B

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I will do that. Am getting ready to start putting the engine back together, it's been at the machine shop for quite awhile. But when you're getting engine machine work done for nothing you can't call and complain about what the hold up is.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Just can't do exhaust with powder coat. Some intakes can get very hot at the exhaust crossover ports, that will burn off powder coat as well. There are some high heat exhaust coatings available that are baked on and done by powder coating shops.

But intake, valve covers and the like can be coated. Just have to watch that nothing heat sensitive goes into the oven. I have a few reservations about doing EFI upper intakes as the typical first step by any good powder coater is to sand blast the part for both cleanlyness and give the part enough tooth for the plastic to melt in. Upper intakes can hold the sand and release it once the engine starts running. And it is very abrasive sand used to gouge the metal so the powder can have the tooth to hold onto the metal.