• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anybody used Ospho than Rusty metal primer

Gatordog

Loc.
Rio Hondo, Texas
Just wondering if anybody has used Ospho, than Rusty metal primer and than tractor paint for the frame and body panels underneath. The reason I am asking is most people used a thick coating like a Bedliner, but it has been my experience that these thick coatings will trap moisture and create rust that you can’t see because of the thick coating. I was also considering Chassis Saver or Por 15, but I have never used them.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I use Ospho a lot as a rusty surface treatment. Then a Sherwin Williams industrial epoxy primer over that.

I also use Por 15 on some projects..

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I have been using POR for years and have had good results. It is a little labor intensive but the extra effort is worth it. Same with KSB coatings. When done properly they are a good choice. If you ever have to do any repairs they are easy to touch up. Ken

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Just wondering if anybody has used Ospho, than Rusty metal primer and than tractor paint for the frame and body panels underneath. The reason I am asking is most people used a thick coating like a Bedliner, but it has been my experience that these thick coatings will trap moisture and create rust that you can’t see because of the thick coating. I was also considering Chassis Saver or Por 15, but I have never used them.
When I lived on the coast everyone used it for marine applications. I used it when 8 rebuilt a rusty car trailer, it's been at least 8 years and no sign of rust reoccurring.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I have used Ospho on cast iron parts like steering box and transfer case housing. Then I hit it with some Eastwood cast iron.

American180

Loc.
Mount Washington, Ky

I was thinking about using POR 15, then bedliner over that. Has anyone tried this?

KeithKinPhx

Using Ospho right now on my 68 restoration. Since it is water like I am flooding it into the seams between the sheet metal. Ford put zero protection between those spot welded panels. I'm working on a YouTube video on it.

Any other rust on the columns etc will be sprayed with Ospho out of a bug sprayer. I might shoot some Eastwood frame paint and sealer as well.

If using near a painted surface be careful as it is an acid. One guy on YouTube treated the driver side of the roof of his car but let it run onto the passenger side. That paint will never be the same.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
and really should use a respirator, I never did but should of lol. we used to use it all the time at work until the safety/enviro Nazis said we couldn't any longer:(

agboy91

Loc.
Bishop, GA
I have used it with good results. I'd suggest I wipe of excess as it can develop a white Chaulky powder when it dries.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Sherwin Williams often sells a product called Tex-Guard. Seems to work just like Ospho except it is blue instead of green. Like Ospho it is low viscosity like water and can really creep into places.

I usually used a combination of Naval Jelly and Ospho on my stuff. They both have their place in the world of rust.

Attac

Contributor
I was going to use raptor on the underside of my sons bronco but decided on por. Bed liner is harder to wash and por looks like powder coat when done correctly. You can thin it and spray it and it works into all of the seams. I also did my engine compartment. It is supposed to be inpregnatable to most all fluids. I have had a leak of brake fluid before and it completely ruined my paint on the driver inner fender.
It claims you can beat it with a sledgehammer after it cures and it will not chip. I can tell you this is absolutely true. My auto twirler was never painted so it had light rust all over. I hit it with a D A and then washed it and painted it. 3 weeks later I decided to test it. It doesn't chip. It really works. It has been painted for about 9 months now and still looks wet. Just my experience
Chuck