• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tailgate handle

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Has anyone ever relocated the tailgate handle to the inside? Any input welcome. Thanks. Howard in beautiful West Michigan

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I've never seen it done on a Bronco. It would be uncomfortable when your sitting on the tailgate eating lunch.

OP
OP
Howard2x4x4

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Legit question, just to clean it up a little. As I see it, the handle is recessed and would interfere with sitting on the tailgate.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Until more recently, the "custom" Bronco touches like that were a rarity at the best. I'm sure more and more are thinking like that, with the door handles and perhaps the tailgate handle as well.
It would certainly take some skill and/or money for someone to do it, as the tailgate's shape is not symmetrical in that area and there is no off-the-shelf kit to make it happen.

And even with so many wanting to change things about the tailgate, they were mostly revolving around making it quieter on the road. Not making it cooler.
But it's an interesting idear.
Those of us with hard tops would not likely find it handy, but not a deal-breaker. Those with soft tops from Kayline/STC/Rampage might not find it any different as they have to unsnap the back window to open the tailgate anyway. Bestop owners with their crossbar might find it more finicky. Or not...

But without a top, as more and more Broncos are finding themselves these days, it would be an interesting endeavor. And definitely a conversation starter at the car shows.

Good luck finding an existing one. It might be YOURS that future builders reference if you make it happen!
Probably have to look into the custom pickup world for references. And if possible, the '67 to '72 pickups, since those have basically the same tailgate as we do. Not sure about the older ones.

Paul

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Might look slick if handle "shaved" and use electric actuators as side pins. Would remove a lot of rattle.

OP
OP
Howard2x4x4

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just sent in my nickel to allow me to post pics and I reckon I'll have a go at it! It'll take me a while, but I'll do my best to keep y'all informed, amused, entertained and challenged! Paul, you have to be one of the nicest, most helpful guys on this site, along with Englewood cowboy and few dozen other talented over-achievers! Thanks for all the encouragement. Howard in beautiful west Michigan

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Howard. Looking forward to updates as you can make them. On any part of the build really. Not just the uber-custom stuff.
But that cool stuff is more fun to check out!

Best of luck with tailgate mods.
And thinking further along, since you don't really need to use the Bronco's original handle I wouldn't think, you might find it easier to graft in one from a pickup truck, or maybe even a full-size Broncos with it's odd-shaped tailgate for having the window roll down into it.

Or go full electric actuator and not have to worry about the shape of things.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Just sent in my nickel to allow me to post pics and I reckon I'll have a go at it! It'll take me a while, but I'll do my best to keep y'all informed, amused, entertained and challenged! Paul, you have to be one of the nicest, most helpful guys on this site, along with Englewood cowboy and few dozen other talented over-achievers! Thanks for all the encouragement. Howard in beautiful west Michigan

LOL, that's why we here... Good luck

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Just a suggestion but the inside if the tailgate is flat and the part where the handle is on the outside is curved so you wont be able to just transfer the handle to the inside but places like tractor supply have flat handles that are toolbox replacement handles that may be modified to work and they are flat or if you have an old set of jeep soft doors laying around then its handle may work also. I think some of the newer bronco soft doors have a flat handle too if you have an extra one of them

OP
OP
Howard2x4x4

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Started the ball rollin, now that I'm an official contributor! Hmmm, guess I need to re-size the pics. Hmmm.... Btw, opted NOT to use an electric actuator because I might make the tailgate easy to remove by using a lift-off pivot like on the 70's Ford pick-ups. Hmm, resize, hmmm... Howard the Luddite

Attachments

• 20170815_145428.jpg
    20170815_145428.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 160
OP
OP
Howard2x4x4

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Golly, didn't need to re-size at all. Guess I really am a Luddite. Few more pics.

Attachments

• 20170816_093342.jpg
    20170816_093342.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 101

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You may want to ensure it works on the other side before closing up that side or did I miss that step?

OP
OP
Howard2x4x4

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not quite as easy as I thought.....

Attachments

• 20170816_110232.jpg
    20170816_110232.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 114
  • 20170816_112942.jpg
    20170816_112942.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 105
OP
OP
Howard2x4x4

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmmm, I'm sensing a 12 step program in my future..... Big yuppers on that, AZ73bronco