• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'78-'79 Broncos -what do you think?

DAN42

Loc.
Santa Maria
I have read in places that there are people that think the '78 and '79 Broncos are the best ones because they only came with one motor, the 351C, and they were the last years that had the solid front axle. But in California, they are a PITA to smog and I can't see the allure. Are there any other benefits to those years that would make people think that these are the best Broncos ever? (I know you guys don't think that);)

GoFish

Loc.
Phoenix West Valley
High pinon Dana 44 front axle and one of the strongest steering gear boxes are 2 pluses.
They were also the last good looking Broncos, in my opinion, as the 1980 Bronco looked like a packing crate compared to the previous years. As I said my opinion.;)

Hefty

Loc.
Monument, CO
I love mine and have had it for 12 years. They are tough as nails! Very hard to find in good shape. They came with 2 engine choices tough the 351 and the 400. The only other thing that would make people believe that they were the best broncos ever is well....They were!

Don't stone me yet.

For an off the dealer lot bronco they were absolutely the best package that ford put out. Not that any of the bronco models is bad (except 87's) but from the factory it had great looks, could haul a decent trailer, had good payload capacity, had the horse power to back it, was strong in every aspect from the engine, transmissions, t-cases, axles, and so on. The biggest change besides the body in 80 was the introduction of the TTB front axle, which would be the weak point from then on, and they dropped the 400 in favor of the 302 and the 300 strait 6

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
I have read in places that there are people that think the '78 and '79 Broncos are the best ones because they only came with one motor, the 351c, and they were the last years that had the solid front axle. But in California, they are a PITA to smog and I can't see the allure. Are there any other benefits to those years that would make people think that these are the best Broncos ever? (I know you guys don't think that);)

engine options were 351m and 400m
we all know that 77 was the best year for the bronco...;D

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I owned a stock 78 that I got for 500 I beat the crap out of it for years and it was worth every penny I just got another one for the wife and I've been driving it for the last week and remember why I loved the old one so much

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
I've got a 79 400, C6, California smog legal.
I love it, try to avoid the NP203 transfer case though, I blew mine up.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
I've had 3 79s and 2 78s. My last one (79) had a 460, C6, and a NP205. In my opinion the are great trucks! Just getting alot harder to find in good condition for a decent price. Like stated, they either came with a 351M or 400, C6 or a 4 speed, and either a NP203 (chain drive) with full time hubs or the part time 205. The 460 swap is super simple due to the C6 bolt pattern being the same for 351M, 400, and 460. Over all I think it came with about the stoutest drive train you could get in a half ton (ish) truck and next to the EB about the coolest Ford made. And since it was only produced for two years they are probably only going to go up in value and desirablility

Case

even though they were produced for 2 years i thought that many more were made compared to the first generation bronco.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I'm fixing up a '78 right now. They're great and they're cheap! You can pick up a really nice 78-79 for $5K or so. EBs in the same condition would go for $15-20K.

Also I am gaining repsect for the 351M/400 engine. It's Cleveland based and can be woken up pretty well with a little bit of work (cam and airflow).

I still like the EB better for it's size, boxed frame and simplicity - especially for a trail rig. But the 78-79's are great trucks! I actually think they have more in common with 66-77s than they do with 80-96 FSBs. ;D

Ford had originally intended to introduce the FSB as a 73 or 74 model at the same time they redesigned the F100. But they held off due to the 73 gas crunch which kept the EB alive for a few more years. 78-79's look cool with 73-77 F100 grills on them (pretty much a bolt on) - the way Ford originally intended!

(LOL - I see several posters here are also regulars on FullSizeBronco.com!)

OP
OP
DAN42

DAN42

Loc.
Santa Maria
It sounds like they would be a great buy - but most of you guys are not in California, where we have the darn smog issues - you are supposed to have the original smog equipment for the vehicle going back to '75, and that makes it tough to register here, and brings the value down.

OP
OP
DAN42

DAN42

Loc.
Santa Maria
...maybe that's why there so cheap out here- I just did a craigslist search and found 3 or for for 2000-2500, one for 500 that ran!

Hefty

Loc.
Monument, CO
Then look for a 78. The smog equipment was changed in 79. 78's still didn't have Cats from the factory. The emissions equiptment was very minimal on the 78 model. Like it was stated earlier the 78/79s had more in common with the classics than later model broncos.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
I bought a $501 '78 while I was in college. It was definitely a love/hate relationship for the few years I had it. I hated the fact that the truck was a total POS beater and loved the fact that it took me anywhere I wanted to go and never left me stranded or stuck.

I'm not a big fan of the 351M, but to its credit it is a rock solid reliable engine in stock form. Mine had either 185K or 285K miles on it when I bought it more than 10 years ago and I know for a fact that its still rolling around with the same stock unrebuilt engine.

78/9 vintage broncos really got the best HD running gear and suspension that ford had available for passenger trucks at the time. If you are looking for a reliable and capable vehicle, they fit the bill nicely.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Then look for a 78. The smog equipment was changed in 79. 78's still didn't have Cats from the factory. The emissions equiptment was very minimal on the 78 model. Like it was stated earlier the 78/79s had more in common with the classics than later model broncos.

I'm not sure that was true for the Cali Broncos.

But in any event, yes, the 78/79 Broncos were the ultimate in factory off-road machines. I've proven that..or at least I'm wrking on proving it..my '78 only has 320,000 very hard street and trail miles on it and is almost broken in. I'll let ya know when it hits 500,000 if I still feel the same way.;D