• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford six FI?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'm building a 200 CI inline six for my project.
A common mod is to mill a flat topped intake six cylinder head for an Autolite 2 barrel carb.

Now, Fitech and Holley both make a throttle body FI unit for a 2 barrel application.
So, has anyone used one of these FI units on a 170- 200 Ford six?

Give a call to Clifford Performance, they know how to make a 6 cylinder run right. You will save yourself a lot of time and money by using there advice. I have read about many expensive experiments that don't perform well. I have used there products in the past with impressive results. My next 6 cylinder project will have a Ford 300 6 with a Clifford manifold for twin weber carbs along with their headers, cam and a mallory unilite distributor. check it out. Their phone #951 471 1161 Good luck. Kerry

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I think one of my friends recently got some kind of Fitech set-up for his falcon/Ranchero pickup. I know it's a 6 cylinder. I try and remember to ask about it tomorrow. I see him most mornings.

mainsail09

Contributor
Loc.
Tuscaloosa
200 fi

I am using Affordable Fuel Injection system on my 200 with great results. It uses a single throttle body from GM and is simple and easy to install.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I'd give the Affordable offering a serious look for your 200. Their setup uses a lot more factory (GM) sensors than the aftermarket pieces like Holley and FITech. They had their system for the Ford sixes at the SEMA Show last year and it looked like a nice unit.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'm going to bring this back to the surface.
I'm starting the machining for my 200 six cylinder rebuild, and plan to have the head machined for a two barrel carb. Many replace the one barrel with a 2011/2150 carb, or a Weber. The Weber is actually a pretty neat idea since it works like a four barrel with its secondary barrel.
I'm wondering though if anyone has used the new FiTech or Holley Sniper two barrel throttle body carb for this application.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Only ones I know of so far are still on V8's. Just not as many in the gene pool building up their sixes as there are eights just yet.
I think more and more are coming down the pike, but so far you're an early adopter!

Paul

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Only ones I know of so far are still on V8's. Just not as many in the gene pool building up their sixes as there are eights just yet.
I think more and more are coming down the pike, but so far you're an early adopter!

Paul

I realize my 200 six performance will never match a V8. I'm just looking for a good functioning six. It just sounds like a good match to put a two barrel throttle body injection onto a six.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Holley has a small 2-barrel just for smaller 6-cylinder engines. Made for Jeeps. Sniper line. Saw at SEMA.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Most reliable car I ever had was a 65 ford van with a 170, one barrel, it would always start and run, always. Hot, cold, super hot, super cold, hi altitude, did not care. It was a cockroach.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
WH has a two barrel FI unit.

I think Johnny at WH has been running it on his own vehicle for a year or so.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Holley has a small 2-barrel just for smaller 6-cylinder engines. Made for Jeeps. Sniper line. Saw at SEMA.

Makes sense..Howell has been selling a TB FI package for the Jeep and Ford 6s for many years, so there is obviously a market there.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Is that a new line since it was at SEMA?

Yes, new this year. They also have a Quadrajet spreadbore replacement. I really like that it has a progressive secondary. That should make it more drivable at light throttle.

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I realize my 200 six performance will never match a V8. I'm just looking for a good functioning six. It just sounds like a good match to put a two barrel throttle body injection onto a six.

I put a sniper 2300 on a pretty much stock explorer 302 with just an edelbrock performer intake and adaptor to fit the 2bbl and it works so good I had the same thoughts about putting one on a tentatively planned 200 six build in the future.
With my experience so far with the sniper I wouldn't hesitate to try it, especially if I knew that the 200 would already run good with an autolite 2100.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well I'm following this too! After the race rig is finished the next project is my adventure Bronco with a 250 six.

t120r

If you're going through the work of milling the carb pad flat, why not mill the side of the log for injector bungs? I did it on my old 200 head. I'll try to find pictures. Looked great.