• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Paint

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Finally got the fenders, doors and grill painted. The body and tailgate are done. Just have the hood and roof to do before the cold weather comes. It's been a hot muggy and wet summer this year and not too good for painting without a booth.Ken

Attachments

• paint 5.jpg
    paint 5.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 197
  • paint 6.jpg
    paint 6.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
looking great! what steps / color order you went about to mask grill? i want to do basically the same when i get back from vacation

keep after it!

Hank

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Looking good Ken! What color is your grill inset...Argent or gray? Can't wait to see it in person.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking great Ken. Quite an accomplishment. Mark

OP
OP
bronkenn

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
looking great! what steps / color order you went about to mask grill? i want to do basically the same when i get back from vacation

keep after it!

Hank

Thanks Hank. I sprayed sealer on the grill then painted the argent color on first just over lapping the edge where the trim will be. Waited about three hours then masked off the edge and center of grill. Sprayed the body color then waited a few hours and removed the masking. The next morning I tacked everything and sprayed the clear. Thanks everyone for the comments. Ken

snoddas

Amazing! Ken, the color looks really nice. Will be great with the uncut quarters and skinny wheels.

/Anders

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
So is this the better method for rookie painter, that is paint individual parts prior to assembly rather than shooting assembled tub ? Assume all sheet metal has been previously assembled for fit. Thanks.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, Ken, looking good.
Many pros paint the pieces. It is much easier to do a good job, especially on hard to reach spots like the door bottoms.
I have seen plenty of nice cars with expensive paint jobs, but the door bottoms are practically bare and the pinch welds are dripping.
Good luck

OP
OP
bronkenn

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
So is this the better method for rookie painter, that is paint individual parts prior to assembly rather than shooting assembled tub ? Assume all sheet metal has been previously assembled for fit. Thanks.

Yes all parts have been mocked up and fitted before disassembled for paint. I prefer to do it this way since it is a complete frame off redo. If it were a repaint I would do it assembled. Ken