• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need your advise, buy or run!?

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I looked at what I believe is a true '66 U14 today. Rusty, rusty.:(

Wants several thousand for it anyway. Does NOT run. Last time it ran was several years ago. And then it was off a bottle of gas under the hood. Radiator was leaking and pulled out, never replaced, etc, etc. He does have the original hubcaps, and I noticed the chrome horn ring laying inside interior. Original bench seat is missing, some LTD (maybe?) seat is in it now. Has some hardware store hinges outside to open/close doors. From the VIN below what can you tell me about it? Is it rare enough to try to restore? Or better off as a source for some unique '66 parts? Has the "eyebrow" grill. Has sun visors.

YU14FL753549

originally a light yellow color

What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• U14 transfer case shifter knob.jpg
    U14 transfer case shifter knob.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 211
  • U14 tailgate.jpg
    U14 tailgate.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 223
  • U14 interior.jpg
    U14 interior.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 225
  • U14 horn ring.jpg
    U14 horn ring.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 203
  • U14 eyebrow grill.jpg
    U14 eyebrow grill.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 232
  • U14 as found.jpg
    U14 as found.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 210

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It would all depend on the price and your level of commitment. What's the goal...restore and flip? Restore and drive until death do you part? Resto-mod that bad boy and convert into a hardcore rock rig?

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
A '66 U14 isn't really that rare. And it's a September build so not super early. Most likely was Springtime Yellow if it was a light yellow color.

As much rust as there is, to me it wouldn't be worth a whole lot more than a U15 in the same condition. Obviously it would hold a little more value but not tremendous. Of course it would be worth restoring and there is some added value with the hubcaps, grill, and horn button present. But it also needs a lot of work to make it road worthy and presentable. Hard to put an exact value on it without seeing it or at least more detailed pics.

What is the price and we can tell you if it's possible.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Wants several thousand for it anyway.?!

It will need several thousand more after that to restore or rebuild it.

As a source of unique '66 parts?
Those parts are available for less elsewhere.

Better deals can be found.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If it was around the corner from me and there were no title issues and the frame stamped vin matched the title I would give $2000 bucks for it. The whole thing that works for me is I can do all the work on it myself. The thing with it is there are no cheep used parts any more so any parts you need that are not included with the truck or destroyed by rust are going to cost you dearly. This is a ride down the rabbit hole and you just may regret it. You have to really want a 66 U14.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The hardware store hinges really scare me. That tends to say there is a lot of structural rust issues. And with what rust I can see in those pictures, there is a LOT of rust hiding under that paint.

A restoration on will be a can of worms. I honestly think the best option for that truck is to part it out. Sell off the '66 bits and the half cab. After that make a trail beater out of it and watch the rust fly.

More than likely he is asking WAY too much for it. Restoration will be very labor intensive and expensive. You will just about have to do a frame off just to address the rust issues. Hinge posts, floor pans, those I can see. Judging from the tailgate I know the rocker panels are going to be shot as well as the cowl having issues. At this point you are rebuilding or replacing the tub.

I'm going to say the $2k offer is very appropriate. The owner who has been pricing stuff compared to craigs list and ebay will think it is worth gold. Given time he will probably find his sucker and sell it for too much.

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks very much for the advice. I'm not really looking for a '66 U14, it just kind of found me. I am looking for an automatic '76 or '77 with little or no rust for my wife to drive. Was running a "wanted" ad on local Craigslist for the automatic when this owner contacted me. I had to go look since it was a '66 (thought it might be a super early one or in some other way special) and price "seemed" fair before I saw it in person. Then after looking I decided my best bet was to reach out to you before I made any offer. Think now I've decided to pass on it, unless he is willing to come way down on price. Thanks again!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Since we are no longer risking breaking a deal, can we have a good laugh and tell us what he wants for it? Entertainment value.

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sure, he said "I'd have to have $7500 for it", and that was interesting to me since I already knew it had the half top, and he said "I have the original hub caps".

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A couple of questions I have, to help me learn.

1) I thought I read that the eyebrow grill was fazed out and later '66's didn't have those. So is this a later '66 that does have the grill, yet is late enough to have the taillight lens with backup light ? I was thinking the lens change was in '67, guess not?

2) Also it has sun visors, and again I thought they were not available till '67. Am I wrong?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Eyebrow grills phased out in November 65', and it has the wrong tail light lenses, shouldn't have the reverse light. It should have silver visors.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Eyebrow grills phased out in November 65', and it has the wrong tail light lenses, shouldn't have the reverse light. It should have silver visors.

Yes, since the later lenses are easier to find sometimes they will be found as replacements on '66s also.

Some '66s had visors and some were "visor delete" but like mentioned they would be silver.

Don't get me wrong, a September build is still early enough to have the eyebrow grill, just not first day of production crazy money early like a couple have been lately.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks very much for the advice. I'm not really looking for a '66 U14, it just kind of found me. I am looking for an automatic '76 or '77 with little or no rust for my wife to drive. Was running a "wanted" ad on local Craigslist for the automatic when this owner contacted me. I had to go look since it was a '66 (thought it might be a super early one or in some other way special) and price "seemed" fair before I saw it in person. Then after looking I decided my best bet was to reach out to you before I made any offer. Think now I've decided to pass on it, unless he is willing to come way down on price. Thanks again!

You'll be alright, just remember to be patient right one will come along

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Sure, he said "I'd have to have $7500 for it", and that was interesting to me since I already knew it had the half top, and he said "I have the original hub caps".

Just a Hmmm to that one :)