• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

U13 with a top?

Jaxgtc

I ran across this ad and there clearly is a lot going on with this 66 that would give anyone pause. Too many oddities and irregularities to mention.

My question is this, was it possible to get at U13 with a full top? Never seen or heard of it, but then again I didn't know about the delivery version until a few years ago either.

What is the deal in front of the gas filler?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bronco-U13...ash=item520d6c7903:g:yGgAAOSwr8hbVcUG&vxp=mtr

Attachments

• EBay u13.JPG
    EBay u13.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 174

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Could be ordered with doors instead of inserts or both, but not sure where I've ever seen in the literature where you could get a hardtop, that's not a 66 top either. Whitco soft tops were available though. Not sure what that is by the fuel cap.

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
I like how the Ebay post brags about it being uncut, but fails to mention that nonsense skid plate thing welded on the quarter by the fuel cap.
I hope somebody smarter than me has an explanation for it being an "option XXX1234" super rare package or something. Otherwise, it takes the trophy for making an uncut U13 hardtop look even dumber.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
I have a 66 (aug 65 build) and don't claim to be expert, but the seats aren't like what's in mine and IIRC aren't they supposed to be a silver/gray color? Also mine doesn't have knobs next to the speaker vent?

Something doesn't look right with the front bumper but then again mine came with a PTO.

The overspray on the pedals, boots, seals and shifter strikes me as being sloppy

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I don't know about that one, but my U13 originally came with full doors and hard top. there are no screw holes where inserts would be mounted and all the top stuff looks original. It's a rangoon red october 65' build and has a DSO of Boston, so with the winters around here I can see were one might not want a topless roadster.
The DSO does have the four extra numbers after it so maybe it was special ordered this way, though I don't know why one wouldn't have just purchased a U15 wagon model unless it was somehow cheaper to do it that way?

Here's a few pictures of it, a couple before the tear down, and how it pretty much sits now awaiting restoration.

Attachments

• old 1.jpg
    old 1.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 82
  • old 2.jpg
    old 2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 76
  • attachment2.jpg
    attachment2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 63
  • attachment3.jpg
    attachment3.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 68

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I don't know about that one, but my U13 originally came with full doors and hard top. there are no screw holes where inserts would be mounted and all the top stuff looks original. It's a rangoon red october 65' build and has a DSO of Boston, so with the winters around here I can see were one might not want a topless roadster.
The DSO does have the four extra numbers after it so maybe it was special ordered this way, though I don't know why one wouldn't have just purchased a U15 wagon model unless it was somehow cheaper to do it that way?

Here's a few pictures of it, a couple before the tear down, and how it pretty much sits now awaiting restoration.

I've got a 10/65' Rangoon u15, we'll have to compare vins sometime and see how close they were :cool:

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
66 seats were silver, yes.

The U13s were available with hard doors, but didn't come from the factory with a hard top to my knowledge. However, since they were so hard to sell it's possible that dealerships installed hard tops to help them sell. It's really not that hard to drill some holes and bolt one on.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
There was a 66 U13 running around here with full top and doors, one family owned. I talked with the lady that owned it and she said it was all original from the factory. She said the inserts were at home and they swapped things around with the seasons. I was impressed that she really did know her Bronco and the 66 oddities.

chuckyb

Contributor
Rear seat is nice. Provides easy access for the passengers through the tailgate.

mrdrnac

Contributor
Is it just me, or is the front bumper too long for a bronco?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Nice.......

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
With the hacking on the tranny tunnel, the extended frame horns and newer model bumpers I suspect this Bronco had a PTO on it at some time in its life. Or maybe a snow plow. The aerodynamic fairing for the gas cap was made because of the whistle coming from the gas cap handle when the truck was up at ludicrous speed on a steep down hill run.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I have one of the 66 Columbian export broncos in my shop. It came with the original order and build sheets. At some point in time they converted the back into dutch doors and we are working to make it look more like Ford did it vs using whatever they could find. It is a U13 factory ordered with a hard top and doors as well as a low compression export motor and 4.56 gears. So yes, you could order a U13 however you wanted it. I am thinking they may have been done this way to obtain a bench seat perhaps or they were simply pulling stock orders and changing them to fit the customers needs after they had already been serialized.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I have one of the 66 Columbian export broncos in my shop. It came with the original order and build sheets. At some point in time they converted the back into dutch doors and we are working to make it look more like Ford did it vs using whatever they could find. It is a U13 factory ordered with a hard top and doors as well as a low compression export motor and 4.56 gears. So yes, you could order a U13 however you wanted it. I am thinking they may have been done this way to obtain a bench seat perhaps or they were simply pulling stock orders and changing them to fit the customers needs after they had already been serialized.

Is it Chris's?

Those Colombian Broncos went through FIGESO, Ford's export group at the time and were modified there. I believe they built tops, cut the tops of the wheel tubs and shortened them, and some got the "barn door" tailgate. There have been a few surface with those tailgates.

The U13 had all the same seating options as a U15.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Is it Chris's?

Those Colombian Broncos went through FIGESO, Ford's export group at the time and were modified there. I believe they built tops, cut the tops of the wheel tubs and shortened them, and some got the "barn door" tailgate. There have been a few surface with those tailgates.

Yes it is Chris's. We cut the gate open, the work done looked ok but far from what I would expect anything production to be. It contained parts from several different vehicles and in its life we can tell it has gone through 2 modifications post the original dutch door modification. We will be working to make them look more like Ford would have done it is the end goal for the tailgate but everything else that they did or grafted on is being removed and reverted back to original bronco parts or bronco pattern parts. We have sent the vehicle out for media blasting and will be interested in seeing what is actually hiding behind all of the filler and caulking.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Is it Chris's?

Was FIGESO more than a sales office? I've seen plenty of references to it with regards to export Mustang sales but I've never seen anything that would have indicated they did body work like the Colombian Broncos.

Todd Z.