• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Harbor Blue Build Thread

OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Whoever ended up with that crawler is one lucky person. Even more badass now than when I had it. :cool:

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great thread! Now I want a Casita camper for my '74. But I would need to put a hitch on it... Also like the zinc coating you did.

I went with KBS on the frame but yours looks better than mine. I ran a little short as I coated a couple other items prior to the frame. My brush strokes are more visible on the top coat. I could have sanded it and put another coat but I was on a time constraint.

OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I haven't done much to report on the Bronco other than cleaning up the wiring harness. The harness was in pretty good shape and not a lot of PO hacks or cuts.

I did remove the original harness wrap and fixed a few areas with crimpless connectors and shrink wrap. I also purchased some harness wrap off Amazon that I will be using to re-wrap prior to going back in.

Attachments

• IMG_3707[1].jpg
    IMG_3707[1].jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3708[1].jpg
    IMG_3708[1].jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3709[1].jpg
    IMG_3709[1].jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 93
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Mocking up and installing the BC 2 into 1 exhaust. I like the way it turned out. Can't wait to hear how it sounds.

I need to finish the brake lines and frame wiring and then I will move onto the body.

Attachments

• Exhaust 1.JPG
    Exhaust 1.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Exhaust 2.JPG
    Exhaust 2.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 93
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
A little more progress to add to the thread. Cleaned up the lower steering shaft and purchased a new u-joint off Ebay.

For reference, the Spicer part # is 5-92X. Interesting thing is the OE u-joint didn't have needle bearings. At first I was thinking what happened to the bearings, but it appears the caps were sleeved and wasn't designed with bearings. Either way, it had slop at all four corners and the new one is much tighter.

Attachments

• Installed 2.jpg
    Installed 2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Installed.jpg
    Installed.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Old Ujoint.jpg
    Old Ujoint.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Lower .jpg
    Lower .jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I never drove this bronco before beginning the build, but I do want to rebuild the steering box. I will use West TX Offroad, but I wanted to check in with the group to get your thoughts on 6 turn vs. 4 turn.

For my other bronco, I did the 4x4x2 conversion and have never driven a bronco with a 6 turn box. Last time I checked West TX charges an additional $100 to convert your box to a 4 turn.

I'm thinking I will go this route but please share any feedback on 6 vs 4.

Thanks!

OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Spicer box with part # for lower steering shaft.

1974 style steering.

Attachments

• Spicer.jpg
    Spicer.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
A little more rust repair. I almost missed this area on the passenger door post.

I was going around the tub to see if I had missed anything and saw a tiny pinhole at the lower part of the door post. I pocked a screwdriver through and sure enough it was weakened by rust from the inside. Cut out a small section to replace with new sheet metal.

Attachments

• RH Door Post.jpg
    RH Door Post.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Also, I saw on another post where someone was asking about the lower "caps" at the bottom of both door posts. Someone commented on removing and not replacing if not a show build.

I would have to agree as I popped the passenger side off prior to repairing the rust and there was quite a bit of junk that came out. Blew the rest out with air hose, but I think I will leave it open to prevent moisture getting trapped.

OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I haven't yet decided on a paint shop, but I plan on taking care of all panel replacement and as much as I can on my own.

Here is a pic of the passenger rocker panel. The panel is very solid with no signs of rust, but it has dent toward the front. The dent is near one of the drain holes. Any advise on how to fix a dent like this? I can't get behind it to hammer/dolly it. Plus, the rocker is thick material.

I may leave this one for the paint shop unless I can figure out a way to pull it out. Perhaps weld a bolt or nut on it and use a slide hammer on it?

Thanks.

Attachments

• RH Rocker 2.jpg
    RH Rocker 2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 77
  • RH Rocker.jpg
    RH Rocker.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 63

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Where ever you have a clear access point to the dent. I would try and do it through the backside on the inner rocker and pry the dent out. I have done it through the top of rocker too and weld up hole when done. Ken

OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Got a little more progress this past weekend. I'm not sure what year my tub is, but it had a rubber plug covering the hole where some have the plastic bottle venting the gas tanks. My '69 didn't have this so maybe PO added the plug or it was destined for a location that didn't require it?

Either way, I will be filling in that hole.

Attachments

• IMG_3816[1].jpg
    IMG_3816[1].jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3817[1].jpg
    IMG_3817[1].jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
My old man picked up a sweet aluminum gantry crane at an auction awhile back. It has what looks like military lettering on the legs. I was hoping it would fit in my garage to help me with heavy lifting when no one else is around. Worked great to lift the tub.

Attachments

• IMG_3820[1].jpg
    IMG_3820[1].jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3819[1].jpg
    IMG_3819[1].jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 103
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
The crane allowed me to mount the tub to the rotisserie by myself. I had a few stressful moments, but in the end it all worked out.

I could just see the tub falling from 4 feet in the air and crashing on the concrete floor! %)%)

Attachments

• IMG_3822[1].jpg
    IMG_3822[1].jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3823[1].jpg
    IMG_3823[1].jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
JeffG

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Didn't realize the pics were so dark. By the time I finished, the sun was going down. I will take better pics in the daylight.

Next step is to remove the gunk from the bottom of the tub and tend to any areas that need fixing from the floor pan install. One area is where PO cut a hole through the floor brace for what looked like a PTO lever.

Luckily I have some pieces of another donor tub so that I can graft that in.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Them gantry cranes are one of the best tools anyone can have in their shop. Most people work by themselves and they sure come in handy. Ken

Attachments

• body 5.jpg
    body 5.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 125
  • body marry1.jpg
    body marry1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 109