• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holley Fuel Injection Systems

josehpatrickgray

Loc.
Coatesville, Pennsylvania
I am getting ready to start working on my 69 Bronco after about five years. The fuel in the tank went bad thanks to ethanol. I am evaluating going to a fuel injection system rather than replacing the carb. For those that have gone through the conversion is it work the time and expense?

Thanks,

Joe

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are quite a few good options for converting to EFI theses days...so it's become a pretty wide ranging topic. Me...It's all I want to run. I like the Holley systems, but there are quite a few other options out now.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Holley has multiple generations of EFI over the 30 years they have offered stand alone EFI systems. From the early non-feedback analog system that you tuned with 5 knobs all the way up to the current crop. These started life under the Projection name. Almost 20 years ago another evolution came and you got the Commander line. All of those are now completely out of date and you should not be considering any of them

I am guessing you are looking at the Holley Sniper EFI. They also have a higher end version, the Terminator EFI. The Sniper is the entry level self learning EFI, about $1k plus fuel delivery.

While I have not bought one yet I did shop at SEMA last year. I looked at just about all of them. FiTech, FAST, Holley, something else. If you are after the absolute cheapest way to get EFI, FiTech. But for customer service, actually talking to people who knew stuff, and the little features to play with that I want, the Holley Sniper costs a few bucks more but I feel it is the better of the affordable EFI systems. Working on other issues right now and prepping for the new fuel system. Hoping for EFI by the end of the year.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Holley has multiple generations of EFI over the 30 years they have offered stand alone EFI systems. From the early non-feedback analog system that you tuned with 5 knobs all the way up to the current crop. These started life under the Projection name. Almost 20 years ago another evolution came and you got the Commander line. All of those are now completely out of date and you should not be considering any of them

I am guessing you are looking at the Holley Sniper EFI. They also have a higher end version, the Terminator EFI. The Sniper is the entry level self learning EFI, about $1k plus fuel delivery.

While I have not bought one yet I did shop at SEMA last year. I looked at just about all of them. FiTech, FAST, Holley, something else. If you are after the absolute cheapest way to get EFI, FiTech. But for customer service, actually talking to people who knew stuff, and the little features to play with that I want, the Holley Sniper costs a few bucks more but I feel it is the better of the affordable EFI systems. Working on other issues right now and prepping for the new fuel system. Hoping for EFI by the end of the year.

X2 on the above. I've been running the Terminator since it came out in 2013, during that time changed the O2 sensor but no other issues. The only reason I have the Terminator is because the Sniper didn't exist at that time.

RODRIG3911

Loc.
Tucson
I have the Holley Sniper and it took like 3 months of battling RF/EFI interference, but FINALLY it is running fantastic!!! I and running a MSD6AL ignition box and MSD Blaster coil with a Holley dual sync Dizzy. THe Holley Sniper is controlling my timing and now that it's finally working, I'm loving it :cool:

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Mitch has been running the Holley 2 barrel Sniper. Worked great for us right out of the box. We have not had to do much of anything other than let it run. Amazing the difference from the old carb. We are not using the timing control. Like bowsher said Holley has been in this for a long time but you can thank Fitech for competitiveness and bringing the cost of these systems down.

Jim

marshall godron

I put the Holley sniper on mine three weeks ago. Awesome no problems I’m running a intake pump n no timing control. I was going to get there distributor. But after taking it on the rubicon last week. I don’t see a need for it. It was amazing how much better the bronco was compared to my last trip running the TA carb. No re jetting no loading up one other bronco brother with Me got his from WH two days before we left N was pissed he dint instal it before we went after seeing how good mine ran

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the Holley Sniper and it took like 3 months of battling RF/EFI interference, but FINALLY it is running fantastic!!! I and running a MSD6AL ignition box and MSD Blaster coil with a Holley dual sync Dizzy. THe Holley Sniper is controlling my timing and now that it's finally working, I'm loving it :cool:

r
RF interference issues drove me nuts at first too...Holley HP system. Love it now that I got those sorted.

Cooter_76

I installed the 4-barrel Sniper a little over a year ago. I didn't have the RF interference issues that others have dealt with. It runs really well, but my engine has some overheating issues that I just can't seem to resolve. With the old carb, the engine would get up to about 215 degrees, then start running rough, so I'd be forced to shut it down and wait for it to cool off. The Sniper runs well all the way up to at least 240 degrees, where the radiator boils-over. %)
I'm fed-up with my old 302 and C4, so I'm slowly working on an Explorer 5.0/4R70W swap.

Dbarnes72

Loc.
Eastern Wa.
For those running the Holley Sniper with in-tank pump, any recommendations for a pump to retrofit the WH Sherman Tank?

KyddsPly

Running almost the same set up, with exception of a terminator. Do you have a long start on the initial with the Holly dual sync dizzy? I know before I switched out to the dual sync I was running the MSD. It would start immediately on cold start. Just curious if it’s at me issue.

To respond to the OP. I love the Holly. Enough that I switched it out after a year and a half from an MSD atomic. Night and day difference, I would recommend this to anybody switching to injection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Edelbrock ProFlo4 system is what I'm eyeing. holley made a similar product but now only make it for LS motors. Bring your checkbook

KyddsPly

Edelbrock ProFlo4 system is what I'm eyeing. holley made a similar product but now only make it for LS motors. Bring your checkbook

Unfortunately, that’s the case for most all after market now. A friend of mine got the composite intake manifold that sold by AFR for his small block Chevy. He loved the overall fit and performance. Unfortunately they only make it for the Chevy. Small block Ford after market is so untapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
One thing to consider is that in the past when Holley brought out a new generation of EFI they dropped all support for the older stuff.

Attac

Contributor
DBarnes
Get the kit from WH. I believe it is a walbro pump (I got all excited and just installed mine when I got it without really studying it). But it comes with the install bracket for the Sherman tank and all the hoses and sock.
I don't think I saw it on the site but I called them and they told me it was a kit just for the Sherman. I had bought another pump from jegs but that is just a spare on the shelf now since I found the complete kit.
Chuck
Oh and Jose
Get the sniper. You will love it and the support from Holley.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For those running the Holley Sniper with in-tank pump, any recommendations for a pump to retrofit the WH Sherman Tank?

Get the kit from WH. I believe it is a walbro pump (I got all excited and just installed mine when I got it without really studying it). But it comes with the install bracket for the Sherman tank and all the hoses and sock.

Thanks Attac. Exactly.
Part #9811 listed on the "EFI Tanks" page here: Sherman in-tank retrofit pump kit should be everything needed for the conversion.

I don't think I saw it on the site but I called them and they told me it was a kit just for the Sherman.

I see that it's not on the "Fuel Pump" page for some reason. It is listed on the EFI tank page however, so you can find it that way for now.
I'll try to get it added to the pump page by tomorrow as well.

Thanks for mentioning that.

Paul

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One thing to consider is that in the past when Holley brought out a new generation of EFI they dropped all support for the older stuff.

?? I'm having absolutely no issues with either parts or tech support for the Commander 950 systems...that stuff is about 15 years old at least.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin

Dusting this thread off, did you end up getting one? I'm considering it also.

Also wondering what the OP decided.

Attachments

• ProFlo4.jpg
    ProFlo4.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 34

Broncobowsher

Total hack
?? I'm having absolutely no issues with either parts or tech support for the Commander 950 systems...that stuff is about 15 years old at least.

ProJection 4Di at about 5 years the software would only run on DOS 3.1 or early Windows 95 that had not had any updates done to it. At one point I was forced to find an ancient laptop with a half dead display that was old enough to run the software.

I could upgrade to a better ECM that would run the newer Windows software but the cost was almost as much as I paid for the EFI to start with. So they still support the Commander 950 stuff? That's a better experience then I had.

And I am jumping into the rabbit hole again with a new Sniper ready to go on.

jagbucket

just ordered the pro flo 4 for my new build . It is pricey but if you consider the cost of carb or throttle body , manifold and distributor end cost is about a wash. summit sealed the deal when they included air cleaner and $100 off . I wont have it running until this summer