• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any Good Door Seals Yet?

1buckeyefan1

Contributor
Dennis Carpenter revamped their door seals about a year ago. They are about as close to the old original Metro seal as your going to get. I have installed a few sets of the D.C. new redesigned seals and they seem to work very well.

Any recent feedback to this thread? I'm to the point of fitting my quarters, door and outer rocker. I've got a crappy old set of dennis carpenter and they frankly suck. My doors stick out a good 1/2" vs without any seal. I'm tempted to go after the Metro LM11B, or are the new DC's really that good?

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have 3 sets!

New Metro- Suck
East Coast Nick- Slightly less sucky

By far the best are the new Dennis Carpenters. They are the only ones I can actually shut my bronco door with:) Still suck

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Well I hope the WH seals I got work good. The install video they have showed no problems with closing issues. We'll see in a few months. Ken

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Well I hope the WH seals I got work good. The install video they have showed no problems with closing issues. We'll see in a few months. Ken

I'm sure they'll do the trick for ya..

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I have 3 sets!

New Metro- Suck
East Coast Nick- Slightly less sucky

By far the best are the new Dennis Carpenters. They are the only ones I can actually shut my bronco door with:) Still suck

That’s funny as hell! Probly not to you though...

Did you ask the manufacturer for any tips on installation, like heating up, keeping door shut as mentioned above? Are the DC made of softer material than the others or just less of it?

Thanks,
Jeff

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Seems like the trick is to have hollow seals with little air holes. I have noticed lately that many newer cars have seals like this too.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Seems like the trick is to have hollow seals with little air holes. I have noticed lately that many newer cars have seals like this too.

All are hollow.

I will bake them then use a conditioner on them. Then hopefully slowly they get better.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Many are hollow but have a rubber flap molded inside the core. I have split them open and cut out that extra flap. It allows to them to compress further and sometimes helps.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
Any recent feedback to this thread? I'm to the point of fitting my quarters, door and outer rocker. I've got a crappy old set of dennis carpenter and they frankly suck. My doors stick out a good 1/2" vs without any seal. I'm tempted to go after the Metro LM11B, or are the new DC's really that good?

I have installed (3) sets of the new D.C. Seals. They all worked very well. I also have perfect fitting doors to body before installation. The D.C. Seals are as close to the old Metros that I have found. I'm very happy with them.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
All are hollow.

I will bake them then use a conditioner on them. Then hopefully slowly they get better.

All door seals are not hollow.
The ones on my eb right now are aftermarket and are "not" hollow.

And they are not "great" but I have kept them since it seems like all the options suck....and I missed the old Metro's when they were available.

STalon89

The metro seals are noticeably softer, but still fitment isnt the best. I think softer the better so you dont have to readjust your doors or slam the shit out of them.

1buckeyefan1

Contributor
So for anyone considering ordering the metro seals lm11b from Amazon / the parts place, don't bother. I ordered a set for $72 and got an inferior set in the mail today. Seems like the parts place is up to the same bait & switch as they were doing on eBay when the advertised metro seals and shipped out lesser quality ones.

Needless to say, they are going back.
0693189dec44e44b2a65dc74db64869a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1buckeyefan1

Contributor
The metro seals are noticeably softer, but still fitment isnt the best. I think softer the better so you dont have to readjust your doors or slam the shit out of them.
So for anyone considering ordering the metro seals lm11b from Amazon / the parts place, don't bother. I ordered a set for $72 and got an inferior set in the mail today. Seems like the parts place is up to the same bait & switch as they were doing on eBay when the advertised metro seals and shipped out lesser quality ones.

Needless to say, they are going back.
63be3d7c3f8857a29532f38a3e081e9e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine came in a box with "Metro" all over it.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I stopped using that crappy old yellow weatherstrip adhesive and switched to black Right Stuff. A small bead is all it takes

1buckeyefan1

Contributor
Mine came in a box with "Metro" all over it.

did you happen to purchase them from The Parts Place? I read a few threads back that the same thing happened to another member. purchased Metro and received a different brand.

I called them and their illinois shop # only deals with GM parts. I also shot them a note. amazon will ultimately refund my $$ if I have issues, but I was really hoping for (new or old style) metro seals.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
did you happen to purchase them from The Parts Place? I read a few threads back that the same thing happened to another member. purchased Metro and received a different brand.

That happened to me and a few others a year or so ago. I called Metro and let them know what The Parts Place was doing. It didn’t seem to bother them since they had quit making Bronco seals at that time.

The guy did mention that their parts have the part number molded into the rubber block on the end and always ship in their copyrighted packaging.

75Denver

Good luck. I went through them all. My doors are perfectly gapped, plumb, true, etc and I made the mistake of pulling the stock ones off (they were perfectly fine just not visually attractive)...well, HUGE mistake. I went through every vendor with several of them backing their product, even a "not on the market yet" set. I tried the cutting trick, the heat trick, and then finely quick effing with it. Currently, my passenger door has to be slammed hard (Delconick) but they were the best. My driver door, it's without a lower seal and in the same state I left it after ripping off the last one. LUCKILY I found a NOS set for both sides after spending nearly $300+ on aftermarket crap. We can develop autonomous cars but can't figure how they made rubber seals 40yrs ago?!?%) Best of luck on your endeavor.