• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Narrowing truck 9 inch to 77 bronco size

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
By the time you pay parts and labor, you could pay for most of a floater kit.
Brand new housing any width you want, hubs, bearings, seals, drive plates, axles and brake rotors for 850.
Use your 3rd member and buy a set of common oem calipers. Sell your old parts and you will be all new for 700ish.
http://9inchfloater.com/CompleteRrEnd/CmplteRrEnd_28_31.htm

When I was looking at putting a rear end together this was the way to get a better rear end with new parts. When I called about it they recommend a going with a beefier housing if youre running bigger tires and or lockers. It adds a couple hundred bucks to the Internet price but still a good deal compared to other options.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
By the time you pay parts and labor, you could pay for most of a floater kit.
Brand new housing any width you want, hubs, bearings, seals, drive plates, axles and brake rotors for 850.
Use your 3rd member and buy a set of common oem calipers. Sell your old parts and you will be all new for 700ish.
http://9inchfloater.com/CompleteRrEnd/CmplteRrEnd_28_31.htm

Sort of... but 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern (Bronco) is call for quote.
35 spline is at least an additional $1049 which is more than double.
All the added on costs make it nowhere near a good deal.

68ford

Bronco Guru
Sort of... but 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern (Bronco) is call for quote.
35 spline is at least an additional $1049 which is more than double.
All the added on costs make it nowhere near a good deal.

5.5 on 5 is the same price, no extra. The 35 spline is alot more because it uses CNC alloy big hubs and larger brake rotors.

35 spline is not as necessary with a full float die to zero weight being on the axles. Not fighting load and torsional stress.

I went with they large 3.5 diameter tube fabricated and trussed housing, but 31 spline axles and steel hubs. But I did larger rotors. Slightly offset doff so both axles are the same length. His prices are almost impossible to beat.

68ford

Bronco Guru

suckerpunched

i talked to a buddy of mine in your area who is very involved in the hotrod scene over there. he suggested Hanks Welding in San Luis call Hank Van Gaale at 805-709-3328. or Hot Rod Ranch in Lompoc. Gil Muro 805-757-1765

I have done a half dozen myself over the years. It is not difficult but there are a few tricks to it. I prefer to cut the housing on a big lathe but lots people do it without the lathe. As far as how much to remove, I suggest getting a new pair of axles and figure out the difference between the new and old, cut that much out. The width of the brakes is not something you generally factor in. the backinig plates for wider brakes have a deeper pocket where it bolts to the housing and provides the extra room for the wider brakes, so the backing plates, drums and some of the hardware are matched for each specific width.

OP
OP
B

broncochevy

Loc.
Orcutt, CA
i talked to a buddy of mine in your area who is very involved in the hotrod scene over there. he suggested Hanks Welding in San Luis call Hank Van Gaale at 805-709-3328. or Hot Rod Ranch in Lompoc. Gil Muro 805-757-1765

I have done a half dozen myself over the years. It is not difficult but there are a few tricks to it. I prefer to cut the housing on a big lathe but lots people do it without the lathe. As far as how much to remove, I suggest getting a new pair of axles and figure out the difference between the new and old, cut that much out. The width of the brakes is not something you generally factor in. the backinig plates for wider brakes have a deeper pocket where it bolts to the housing and provides the extra room for the wider brakes, so the backing plates, drums and some of the hardware are matched for each specific width.

Thanks for the contacts. I have heard of them and actually google searched Hit Rod Ranch and found no number or info...,now thinking back, I think I asked Siri. Dang her, she doesn’t listen well. I thank you much friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Check the axle housing trueness before spending any money ...so many of them are bent like Apogee mentioned.

I have a jig that's why I didn't have any issues. I wouldn't do it without one mainly because if you're OFF at all, you will prematurely wear out the brg and then your axle walks out of the housing with your drum brake, wheel and tire... this is what caused SO many roll overs. My buddy in one year bought 4 rolled Broncos...all from rear axle failures...just something to think about.

I went thru 3 housings over the decades and finally eliminated the possibility of it happening again by putting 14 bolt spindles on a custom DOM housing. I run FF axle now.