• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

$91 paperweight?(includes shipping at least

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
Ok-So I have asked this forum about the retrotek, SD EFI system and got great feedback. Then I thought, why not build one? how else will I learn how to build and if need be repair?....Winter project, etc..I have a mod 302 crate(gt40), patriot heads(60cc), HYD roller cam, ..........So i found a cheap EFi off a mustang, 1987 upper/lower, dizzy, most sensors-no harness, paid $56 +35 bucks to ship....only 38k miles on it, havent gotten it yet, looks clean.....However I read trhe BCB sites discussion on EFI, and discovered that 87' mustangs are based on SD not MAF, is that correct, and if so do I want to use the parts as a base or start over?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
'87 would be SD. The good news though is that the dizzy, manifold and most sensors are still useable in a MAF system. The additional parts you need are the MAF sensor and MA computer.

OP
OP
N

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
Viperwolf, If i want to run 24lb injectors, would I need to find a MAF sensor for that application, or reprogram the EEC? which would be most economical(btw, 24lbs is what the engine builder suggests)

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Swapping either the MAF sensor or injectors would require reprograming to run correctly.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
You will not need 24 lb injectors for your setup. Save yourself the time, trouble and expense.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
19 lb injectors are good to about 300 hp which is more than you'll make with the stock intake manifold.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As viperswolf stated, 19lb will be fine. The manifold is the limiting factor. If you bump up to a junkyard Explorer 5.0 intake then I could see running out of injector. But stock 5.0 upper is too restricted.

Larger throttle body will make the engine snappier (less throttle movment needed to let more air in). but a side effect can be a touchy throttle off idle and reduced low speed control.

OP
OP
N

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
As viperswolf stated, 19lb will be fine. The manifold is the limiting factor. If you bump up to a junkyard Explorer 5.0 intake then I could see running out of injector. But stock 5.0 upper is too restricted.

Larger throttle body will make the engine snappier (less throttle movment needed to let more air in). but a side effect can be a touchy throttle off idle and reduced low speed control.

oh well, then it really is a $91 paperweight....I spent alot $ on 95% of a new crate engine(360hp), sans the manifold/carb(swapped from my original, edelbrock performer/holley650cfm carb).....i def do not want under utilizing my engines capabilties w/ stock manifold....back to drawing board....what about cobra set up?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That's a little info that would have more helpful sooner. Cobra manifold and explorer manifold are both very good and nearly identical in performance. Big difference is one is a lot cheaper than the other. Add 24 lb injectors and a cobra computer and MAF or custom tuned computer.