• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"condensate kills paper headliner"

uncut

I've run this by a few non-bronco people and they think I am crazy. But I think what has happened is this. A bronco is not air tight. It takes in the air surrounding it. When it is a humid day, there is a never ending supply of humid air which will no longer hold the humidity when the due point falls as it hits the cold underbelly of the hardtop. So my Tom's headliner has been deformed by repeated condensate soakings.

I do not have a sunroof and there is definitely water pooling up on top of the headliner. I ask myself if there is a ninja path that water follows between the front of the top and the top of the windshield that snakes its way on top of the headliner, but I look at it and can't see a way that this would happen.

I don't want to repeat the cycle so I'm wondering if anyone else without a garage has encountered this. And hoping for some suggestions. The best I can imagine is a rubber insulated backed carpet that I glue, undoubtedly looking like h e double hockey stick.

I can also imagine insulating, then replacing the liner, but I am no longer a paper headliner believer.

Thank you for any input you care to share.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Had any rain lately? Here's my take your roof has a leak somewhere usually the rain gutter and usually the seam sealer has cracked and allows water in. I've had a similar issue with mine when it rains although its really not that bad I just get a little drippage from the wiper cover. Maybe even just condesation on the outside of the vehicle is seeping through the cracks.
Not saying condensation cant happen heat and cold could do it but that seems like a lot water is getting in than should be. Do you have carpeting is it soaked as well? that could cause excessive condenstion inside. I dont really think normal humidity heating and cooling cycles would have that much build up. Worst case maybe crack a window to let some of the heat escape.

OP
OP
U

uncut

thanks for the input. i need to supersleuth the rain issue- again. thing is, once i get a little humidity on the top of the headliner, it creates its own weather system in there. like a micro-katrina. but i agree this problem doesn't get solved without correcting those door seals.

OP
OP
U

uncut

removed headliner

yes, the carpet gets soaked, but the heater core is not leaking (I put a T in the line to eliminate the core adding to the heat in the cab in the summertime). I removed the replacement headliner, which had warped and deformed over time. On the inside of the top was mold, in the pattern of the condensation beads, and also on the top of the headliner. Not a lot-just some black discoloration, but in the pattern of growth. I cloroxed the top and am going to study it for leaks before proceeding. One step closer to removing the top-garage would be nice. Anyhue, I'm on the search for materials that will combine to fix the insulated, soundproofed, waterproof headliner issue and I'll post when I've got it engineered. thanks.