• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My tire leak is the Bronco's fault?

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Reading thru this thread and I can picture a bunch of KSMs Bronco brothers showing up at this shop.

That would probably work! And be much appreciated.

I'm not an expert by any means on these cars. But I want to learn and I know enough to ask for help when I need it :D I'm fortunate to have y'all to help.

BIG HUG

clarrance

Bronco Guru
Since you have stock wheels, & stock hubcaps. It seams to me that the tire shop did not follow procedure. In today's world of liability. The tire shop should have installed the correct factory valve stems in the first place. The valve extensions are a quick fix to a lazy tire shop not installing the correct length stems in the first place. I don't know of any tire shop today that will install new tires without replacing the valve stems. It is just common sense and good insurance for the tire shop. I say take it back and tell them to install the correct valve stems at no cost to you. They should have done their job correctly in the first place.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you got your tires from a chain store take the truck to another branch of that store and explain what happened and I'll bet they fix it right. Were the hubcaps on the truck when you took it in the first time?

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
These last couple of weeks I've taken the Bronco to three different tire shops.

The first was WalMart because I got to talking with a guy and he said they had the longer valve stems and could put them on easily. But when I brought the Bronco in they said they "couldn't tell" if the longer stems were longer than the ones I had in right now. I thought to myself, shouldn't they be able to tell? After three guys were out there arguing about if it would work or not they brought out these metal stems which I had to point out were pressurized and said on the label they were for something like an 18 wheeler. It got to be monkey-and-a-football scenario so I left.

Took it to NTB and that guy said I needed new wheels because the hole that the stems go in "was probably rusted and irregular shaped."

Then I was told by yet another person that the base of the new stems (that I ordered online and brought to them) are narrow and I needed a fat bottom stem to ....something I didn't understand because I was laughing at the absurdity of how difficult this has been to replace and that he said fat-bottomed.

So I took photos of everything and sent it to the specialty off-road shop that did my engine swap and am waiting for their opinion.

Can anyone add their two cents, opinions, recommendations?

Here's the photos I've taken:

Attachments

• 04cd3a6a-6ad8-4ca0-8928-b27adbc15d2b.jpg
    04cd3a6a-6ad8-4ca0-8928-b27adbc15d2b.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 90
  • e0a8dad1-3404-45ec-9217-2e74a6fa487e.jpg
    e0a8dad1-3404-45ec-9217-2e74a6fa487e.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 715GTVoY-NL._SL1500_.jpg
    715GTVoY-NL._SL1500_.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 87

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Sounds like you need to get out of town and find a farmers COOP. They'll have a bazillion valve stem lengths. This is craziness that it's this hard for a business/businesses to install a set of valve stems.

The only "chain store" tire shop anyone will do any business with around here mostly are Hibdons, looks like there's one on the NE side of Ft. Worth.

1233 Melbourne Rd, Hurst, TX‎

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Sounds like you need to get out of town and find a farmers COOP. They'll have a bazillion valve stem lengths. This is craziness that it's this hard for a business/businesses to install a set of valve stems.

The only "chain store" tire shop anyone will do any business with around here mostly are Hibdons, looks like there's one on the NE side of Ft. Worth.

1233 Melbourne Rd, Hurst, TX‎

Never heard of it but it's not that far. I'll give them a call first. Thank you.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
That's the conclusion I came to but the guy said that part of the stem sinks into the tire so he couldn't tell what the real length was......ooookay.

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
That's the conclusion I came to but the guy said that part of the stem sinks into the tire so he couldn't tell what the real length was......ooookay.

Ummmmmm, You see the ridge at the base of the valve stem? That's the part of the stem that sandwiches the rim, so anything north of that would be exposed %)

What an ordeal, I feel for ya'

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
5 pages about correct valve stem length? With your stock hubcaps in place your valve stems should extend past the hub cap surface just enough to easily accept a tire gauge or an air chuck. Too short and it's a struggle to apply a chuck or gauge, not enough stem. Too long and the stem flexes too much and is hard to handle.

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
5 pages about correct valve stem length? With your stock hubcaps in place your valve stems should extend past the hub cap surface just enough to easily accept a tire gauge or an air chuck. Too short and it's a struggle to apply a chuck or gauge, not enough stem. Too long and the stem flexes too much and is hard to handle.

Ummm yeah, that's what the 5 pages are about. We all know that but the tire shops don't seem too. You should read some of the nonsense she's been through.

Attac

Contributor
Brian (the manager at Discount here in my town) would fire everyone in his shop if this went on at his place. He would have mounted the tires so you could drive around and ordered the correct stems and then worked around YOUR schedule to have you come in so he could replace them for you when he got the right ones in. I guess I am lucky as they opened a store about a mile from me and I was hesitant on using a chain store until I dealt with him the first time. Hope you get this debockle all taken care of KSM
Chuck

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Brian (the manager at Discount here in my town) would fire everyone in his shop if this went on at his place. He would have mounted the tires so you could drive around and ordered the correct stems and then worked around YOUR schedule to have you come in so he could replace them for you when he got the right ones in. I guess I am lucky as they opened a store about a mile from me and I was hesitant on using a chain store until I dealt with him the first time. Hope you get this debockle all taken care of KSM
Chuck

Maybe they don't want to mess with a classic car because it might be less straight forward than a modern vehicle? Maybe I'm getting the run around because I'm a female. "Is this your Bronco? Well then you're my kinda girl." - remarks are getting old. Either way I'm done with taking the Bronco to tire shops. I have a Bronco brother that's going to help me swap them out at the next Bronco event in a couple of weeks.

And hopefully put a rest to this ridiculous tire valve problem!

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
This is why I bought my own machines, dealing with idiots and crooks.

One of the local tire stores couldn't get the tires off my truck due to being rusted to the hub. Got to love what they spray the roads with. I had to stop them from beating the heck out of the side of my tire. Went home loosened the lug nuts did a circle and pulled in the garage and removed the tires and swapped out to my summer tires. Got tired of taking the trailers in for leaky beads every 6 months. I guess they can't wire brush it .

I feel your pain. If your where closer it's an easy fix.

Sad they have put you through this.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
This is why I bought my own machines, dealing with idiots and crooks.

One of the local tire stores couldn't get the tires off my truck due to being rusted to the hub. Got to love what they spray the roads with. I had to stop them from beating the heck out of the side of my tire. Went home loosened the lug nuts did a circle and pulled in the garage and removed the tires and swapped out to my summer tires. Got tired of taking the trailers in for leaky beads every 6 months. I guess they can't wire brush it .

I feel your pain. If your where closer it's an easy fix.

Sad they have put you through this.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
This thread reminds me of the time when I had new tires installed on my wife's truck.
When I went to pick it up the valve stems were so long I thought they installed curb feelers!