• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

F8 LUBR Build Thread

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Jefe- looking great! Love that gauge cluster...you’ve made some nice selections all the way around. Keep plugging away at it.

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
A couple Bronco brothers came over to help me put the cage in:

BMPYv06.jpg

The cage was built by Mike Dyster(Bronco Driver Magazine) and his son and it fit perfect. We put mounting plates under the tub to reinforce the upper mounting plates:

qe7GOm9.jpg

9C9HOrC.jpg

Bolted the seats/center console in and installed the new 3 point seatbelts into the welded cage bungs. The amplifier will be mounted to an elevated board under the passenger seat:

4avvSRD.jpg

For a high back seat they sit very low:

C7A74DR.jpg

Only a few more weeks until its ready for its first detail and ceramic coating:

wEkstJX.jpg

After the flooring was done I realized the rear gas tank was in the way of the mounting holes for the fold n tumble rear seat. So we had to drop the tank to mount the seat latch bracket/belts and then moved on to the auxiliary 12 gallon tank:

V5e3TOb.jpg

Here you can see the Second Skin Spectrum sound deadening, freshly painted frame and new body bushings. The tub is solid now:

PbTLHxk.jpg

Here is the custom filler neck extension my builder made to get from the tank to the original modified neck that's on the back of the quarter panel. Still need to hit the gas station to test the vent line but less turns and kinks than before so shouldn't be an issue:

fzrQnX1.jpg

The roll cage was built with the stock wiper motor in mind and since we went with smaller dual electric wiper motors we had plenty of clearance. Before coating the cage in Raptor I drilled and tapped holes for windshield stiffening heim joint turnbuckles:

TW32bfZ.jpg

Got the the rear seat bolted in with the new lap belts from Seat Belts Plus:

Z5B6zdu.jpg

Still rsearching twin stick boots. I want something custom but not finding many options:

jo3abyj.jpg

Im also working with MOJO Shades as they will be making custom bikini top for the cage. Taking measurements this weekend so Ron can get started: https://www.mojoshades.com/photo-gallery

dNL5mlO.jpg

Got the H3R Performance MX250B Fire Extinguisher mounted on the cage

9un9xd0.jpg

Last edited:

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Congrats Jefe on the successful first drive! That is exciting! Looks great!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Saturday a couple buddies came over to put the cage in.

Debating on whether to get a matching twin stick boot to the upholstery or just go black. Also had a heck of a time getting the glovebox door on. Been too long and there's a ton of adjustment

Ran to the gas station for a few gallons of gas, started it up and went for our first cruise in over 4 years. I've got a little bit of belt squeal on startup that I need to pinpoint and I need to monitor engine temps as it seemed a little hot for such a short drive but overall a success!

Always something right.. Glad it went well. I'd go black on boot, but just preference...

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
It is now 100° here in Tucson so progress has slowed but we got the doors hung with the new hinges and pins. This was the first time I shut the doors since spraying second skin inside them and they sound solid like a modern vehicle:

C6hWxEr.jpg

TtsosNY.jpg

Still needs some hinge adjustments but they are very close:

HfcyelQ.jpg

Threw a mirror on and love how it matches the door handles:

9GDgWJ9.jpg

xh7Rrxf.jpg

Still filthy but the ceramic coating has been scheduled!

jrZYyRj.jpg

Quick drive to the gas station to fill it up and inspect for leaks and saw nothing! It was 95° degrees out and the temp gauge never went above 185°:

QncNm8d.jpg

Rolled the platform ladder out and got this shot since I need a picture for MOJO Shades to build our bikini top. Wish I would have taken the tape off before:

4tfhuEb.jpg

Got the glovebox door installed. It was not easy getting the gaps to line up perfectly!

gSHYNg0.jpg

New fuse box on the left as well as a female USB cable which can charge a cell phone or play music from a thumb drive/external hard drive:

9NJ0E9d.jpg

Picked up some neodymium magnets from K&J Magnetics to mount the interior quarter panels. Much cleaner look without screws:

zAMjaQF.jpg

A little bit of pull and they pop off but will hold in place while driving. Plenty of room to store a tool bag, rags, etc behind both panels:

oEQBLhh.jpg

The original plan was to install 6.5" speakers in the panels but there is not much room for them and I didn't want all of the sound coming from the rear:

iDPjDjj.jpg

I luckily came across the guy making the fiberglass kickpanel pods and he made me a set of these and shipped them out the next day:

wff9rKa.jpg

The Hertz Mille Pro 6.5" speakers have massive magnets so I ordered some spacers to bring the speaker out a little bit more. Also had to trim the opening for them to fit snug:

gyXC5vl.jpg

The painter came over last night to adjust the doors and hood. Amazing what he can do in 30 minutes that would have taken us hours:

BZ5bryH.jpg

The door gaps are now perfect:

qEX2ebJ.jpg

Installed the hood shocks and he got the hood gaps right where we want them:

ldSLCQX.jpg

Q3Up8Uk.jpg

JrRpywG.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Its either been raining or 105° outside but we rolled it out after the rain dried up to admire those door gaps again:

skyShga.jpg

Back to work on the sound system. Mounted the 6.5" Hertz Mille Pro MPX 165.3 coaxial speakers with a small spacer to make room for the magnets:

E545bi5.jpg

All set to mount to the kick panels:

807KRWF.jpg

The Pioneer 1,200W amp sits on an elevated plate that bolts down under the passenger seat:

2oByJpK.jpg

They fit perfectly and here they are lit up by the new under dash lights that are controlled by a door mounted switch. The stock ebrake will not fit so I need to start researching some aftermarket options:

s6N8ewT.jpg

I have the amp bridged and running at about 75% of capacity which is about 150W per speaker. Sounds great!

bPbD4u3.jpg

Put it in reverse to check out the LED backup lights and they are very bright:

fRVolKM.jpg

Not too many Broncos out there with a backup camera! The screen is motorized so you can adjust the viewing angle in case of a glare:

0FTbRoi.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
More monsoon rain so I took a quick walk around video(click to play):

I also put a mostly complete mod list in the description:

F8 PFQ Green Paint (Hellcat/Demon) with Custom Silver Flake by Sherwin Williams
Second Skin Spectrum Undercoating on the Tub, Inner Fenderwalls and Inside the Doors
Complete Rewire with American Auto Wire Harness 510317
Original/Rebuilt 302 V8 with a 2 into 1 FloPro VForce Muffler
Original/Rebuilt C4 3 Speed Automatic on the Column
Original/Rebuilt Dana 20 Transfer Case with Twin Stick Shifter Upgrade and Custom Boot
Original Speedometer Cluster Completely Rebuilt by ClassyGauges with Brushed Stainless Faces
3.5" Deaver Front Coil Springs, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, TBP Bump Stops
3.5" Wildhorses Rear Suspension Lift, Rear Axle moved back 1", Fenders Rolled
Hellwig Adjustable Sway Bar, Adjustable Track Bar, Duff Tuff Heavy Duty Heim Joint Steering
Hydroboost Conversion with Front Disc Brakes, MasterPro Saginaw Pump, Cardone Master Cylinder
Bronco Design Fiberglass Mid Rise Hood with Hood Shocks, TBP Hydraulic Liftgate Prop Rods
Forever Sharp Steering Wheel, Denali SoundBomb 12V Compact Dual Tone Horn
Custom Flush Mounted Windshield with Dual Electric Wiper Motors
Black Rock Yuma 16x8" Wheels with 265/75/16 BFGs
8 Point Custom Family Roll Cage coated in Raptor Liner, 3 Point Humvee Seatbelts
CustomBikini Top by MOJOSHADES
Custom ProtoFab Front and Rear Bumpers coated in Raptor Liner
100 Amp 1 Wire Tuff Stuff Alternator, Bosch Premium 78DT Side Terminal Battery
High Torque Mini Starter, Pertronix D134600 Distributor, Flame Thrower Solid State Ignition
Spectre 14" Air Cleaner and Breather, Bronco Script Valve Covers
TBP H4 Halogen Headlight Heavy Duty Conversion with upgraded 5K LED bulbs
Engine Bay, Front Fenders, Rear Inner Fenderwells and Under Hood coated in Raptor Liner
Dual 12 Gallon Fuel Tanks with Custom Flush Mounted Pop Out Caps
Stock Interiors Vinyl Flooring Kit with Custom Hold Down Trim Secured with Rivnuts
Custom 2 Tone Vinyl 2005 Mustang Front Seats and TBP Fold N Tumble Rear Seat
Custom 2 Tone Vinyl Door Inserts and Magnetically Mounted Inner Quarter Panels
Kenwood Bluetooth Touchscreen Stereo with Backup Camera
Hertz 6.5" Mille Pro Speakers in Custom Fiberglass Kick-Panel Enclosures
1200W Pioneer 4 Channel Amp Under Seat, Hidden AM/FM Antenna
Rampage 31517 Center Console, Hidden Kill Switch
LED Exterior/Interior Lights, including Under Dash Lights
Cage-mounted Fire Extinguisher

Tuesday night we made another trip to the gas station but this time we filled the tanks up completely. We installed an electric valve on the frame so the switch on the dash flips the tank and the gauge together:

yPm9JQs.jpg

I found a twin stick boot that I liked from Stronghold Shift Boots. They have a CJ D300 shift boot that has nearly identical measurements to what I needed so I ordered the carbon fiber boot with black stitching and got it mounted:

https://www.strongholdshiftboots.com/product-page/80-86-cj-d300-twin-stick-shift-boot

hHyAQhR.jpg

zTghzWi.jpg

I also found an ebrake from Control Cables that I think is going to fit great on the firewall:

http://www.controlcables.com/kit-5-...ke-lever-boot-and-ring-assembly-pn-b1000b101/

esiCl6S.jpg

Weather finally cleared up so I posed with the Raptor and then took it out for a cruise:

rekZRcB.jpg

OUBalGO.jpg

Found a hill and flexed the suspension:

fWDHNVp.jpg

SjD7dcV.jpg

Check out the rear tire tucking under the fender! The new suspension was a major upgrade:

UiUiNEG.jpg

Another walk around vid(click to play):

Last edited:
OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Picked up a car trailer in San Diego and took the Bronco over to the painters shop to fix a major boo-boo. Also changed out the LUBR plate for a copper historic vehicle plate:

tjGkF9X.jpg

eHDNRCr.jpg

He was just finishing up a Coronet that he painted B3 blue:

uZERgxj.jpg

8fIKWb9.jpg

The boo-boo I made was not mocking up the mirrors on both doors. For some reason there was an extra mirror hole on the drivers door and I didn't notice it peeking out until I went to mount the mirror a few weeks ago. Shannon sanded down the paint, welded the extra hole up then repainted/cleared/buffed the door. We also got rid of the stock plastic mirror nuts and used nylocks on the back of the mirror bolts. The mirrors don't shake at all now:

4oG1xNC.jpg

Got the Bronco back Saturday and made the 35 mile trip back home. Got some rolling shots of my Dad driving it:

SYGj2x2.jpg

Monday night we went out and got some sunset photos:

oBN4ti5.jpg

H3kSQtW.jpg

w6ns50y.jpg

Last edited:

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your body man did a marvelous Job! The reflections are flawless, near as I can tell.

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
I picked up some stock Bronco floor trim and I just didn't like the look of it so I went to Industrial Metal Supply and bought some 1/8" 6063 aluminum. Cut to length and and rounded the corners. Will be painting them in hammered black:

UbMUvy5.jpg

Mounted them with RivNuts in the tub:

tydaCSh.jpg

I think this turned out pretty darn good:

18jxVUu.jpg

T8seiWA.jpg

While we worked on the trim I employed my mother to stitch in some seat belt stops. Employ = She feeds me and I let her work on the Bronco. She did a great job and now the buckles stay above the doors:

Jjqwjn7.jpg

Picked up some billet tire tread twin stick knobs:

8qati8I.jpg

The MOJO Shades custom bikini top came in. This cuts a ton of sun out and reduces a lot of wind/noise:

ROiZR0M.jpg

eeJQVEv.jpg

Drove the Bronco to the local exhaust shop and had them cut off the old tip:

Sn8Lfwp.jpg

He welded in a turn down tip and tucked it up a little higher:

D2mnfl7.jpg

Hardly even noticeable even with the Bronco in the air:

FhFLPom.jpg

Exactly what I was going for. No exhaust fumes while at stoplights either:

Gws4CPq.jpg

Also stopped at the glass shop that did the flush mount windshield and had them install the rear view mirror tab for our new billet mirror:

f5J3Lwe.jpg

Limited space in between the dual wiper motors but I got it up high enough so it doesn't block visibility:

RAAs1Ws.jpg

Last edited: