• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"Back-Up" Light Switch

Tman

Loc.
Washington Twp., MI
Where on the chassis of my '76 Bronco is my "Back-up" light switch located? The lights are not working right now and when I investigate it, I would like to know where to find this switch incase it's fried. Thanks

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
Auto is located on the tranny and manual at the end of the column in the engine compartment.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
I had to replace my nss/bu switch on my auto a yea or so ago. Here to see how to dial it in. As for the manual shift, it has no nss and the back up lights can be adjusted at the switch itself.

Hawkdoc

eb66to77 said:
I had to replace my nss/bu switch on my auto a yea or so ago. Here to see how to dial it in. As for the manual shift, it has no nss and the back up lights can be adjusted at the switch itself.

Where did you get your switch? None of the local stores carries them or can get them?

Thanks

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
The NSS from an early 70's Mustang will work. It's the same unit. They all look pretty much the same, but you need to be sure you're getting the right connector (4 pin squre) I work over near a Mustang shop, so when I can get a part there, I do.

Unfortunately, the only one making that switch is Motorcraft, so it's not cheap. I've had to replace mine a couple of times over the years.

You can also get them at O-Reilly's auto supply. They have to get them in from the regional warehouse if they're not on the shelf, which takes 24-48 hours at the most.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
rednck21 said:
where on the tranny?(auto)

Driver's side. It is the switch with the wires coming out of it right where the shifter enters the transmission. It will have two bolts on either end. You will have to take th shifter lever and nut off to get it off to replace. I kept mine going for an extra year or so by cleaning it with electrical parts cleaner. However, if a liquid that conducts electricity gets in the switch say good-bye to your starter wires.

hawkdog said:
Tried them, no longer stock them

http://napaonline.com/masterpages/N...mber=NS5592&Description=Neutral+Safety+Switch

Not sure if they have them anymore either but the part number comes up. ECHNS5592

and here is parts americas link
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=GPS&mfrpartnumber=NS214&parttype=401&ptset=A

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Weird that JBG quit carrying them.

Seriously though, look at the classic Mustang suppliers. They're everyfreakinwhere.

I'm thinking you should be able to get it from the local Ford dealership as well, seeing's how it's a Motorcraft part.

mtnkraus

Loc.
Iowa
I thought the switch is on the steering column on a 3 spd.

I replaced my with a toggle switch and then I make that BEEP BEEP sound as a backup. <<< joke>>>>

Hawkdoc

Gummi Bear said:
Weird that JBG quit carrying them.

Seriously though, look at the classic Mustang suppliers. They're everyfreakinwhere.

I'm thinking you should be able to get it from the local Ford dealership as well, seeing's how it's a Motorcraft part.
Local Ford dealer does not have any "books that go back that far". Local Napa came up dry but I will take the part number in and see what happens. Thanks for the info everybody.

stlkikn

If all else fails, you could try the nss off of a bII with the c-5 trans. Same switch, different plug. all you need to do is use your wiring down to the trans and splice it in.

bcrump5252

Loc.
high point
im running an nv435 and my backup wires are not connected they are still hanging taped up in the engine compartment. when I did my twin sticks i found a switch on the drivers side of the transmission, is this my back up switch?? if not where is it im having the same issue LOL