• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

#$#@&$(# Ebay HEI distributor

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If it was done right it might be a little more $$ than $100 just look at the broken one at the start of this post. It appears they are grafting the 2 together and this one just happened to break at the graft point. A little shady if you ask me not sure I'd trust any of these cheap HEI's. The DUI may be made way better but you are going to pay $300+ for one.
Most if not all of the HEI dist are using standard gm parts inside so new parts can be obtained at your local parts store.

OP
OP
D

Dave St

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
The Mallory I bought was only around $170, I think the extra $70 is worth it. The pics on crtperformance.com are not really detailed enough to see how they are constructed, but at first glance it looks very similar to the Ebay unit.

It looks like the Mallory ignition module (and other parts) could be replaced with an off-the-shelf product.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
It looks like it broke at a weak spot judging by the pictures. What is that slot shape going through the center of the break?

If it were an oil pump problem I would have thought it would shear the hex drive first.

jcastellaw1

Loc.
Covington
Guys I have had the SAME PRO COMP DISTRIBUTOR and have broke two. I just broke one the other day at the same spot on the shaft. I also bought one on ebay from Procomp. I have a hi volume oil pump also. Please keep me informed here!!!!!

jcastellaw1

Loc.
Covington
By the way, they will replace your for free but it the next one will break!!! Are you running a hi vol oil pump?????

OP
OP
D

Dave St

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
Wow, I started this thread almost a year ago and it now has new life!

I did not bother with getting it replaced, as I counted myself extremely lucky that no shrapnel ended up in my engine and I did not want to take a chance on it happening again.

I do not run a high volume oil pump.

I kept the broken distributor for a spare ignition module, coil, cap, etc.

OP
OP
D

Dave St

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
Yes, the 85 series. It has worked flawlessly and you can tell the quality difference as soon as you take it out of the box.

Hazegray

Hummm...I've been running that particular EBAY HEI in my stock 351W for over 2 years now with no problems%) Maybe I just got lucky with a good unit....or doomesday is just around the corner!:-X