• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which crate engine and where?

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I cant see what carb and cam is on that engine. Also the part number does not relate to anything from Blueprint's web site. If it is the one I think it is I am thinking the carb and cam is a bit extreme for a Bronco. Probably nice fro fast street running but maybe not off road. May work well but you may have to change the carb eventually. Plus the pan would not work in a bronco as it is front sump. Still not a bad deal even with changing some things.

OP
OP
Tidewater

Tidewater

I cant see what carb and cam is on that engine. Also the part number does not relate to anything from Blueprint's web site. If it is the one I think it is I am thinking the carb and cam is a bit extreme for a Bronco. Probably nice fro fast street running but maybe not off road. May work well but you may have to change the carb eventually. Plus the pan would not work in a bronco as it is front sump. Still not a bad deal even with changing some things.

How do I make sure I get the right engine? Order directly from Blueprint?

Wolverine

Hombres: Is there a way to determine who's crate engine (summit, etc...) was put in? I have a bronco, fairly certain crate, the only stamping I can locate is on the front drivers side, below the valve cover. Looking to find details of what was installed.

Hotrodjohn

That 408 will be a gigantic jump in power from the a 76 302...... Its 351w based so not going to fit under a stock hood with the intake they use I dont believe. (do you have a body lift) Blueprint has some good hp 302s also. The full dress 235 hp motor is a pretty good deal for complete engine that would have a lot more power than your stock 302.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Finally getting back to my 76 Bronco. It needs an engine and I'm not getting takers on the rebuild. I'm not a mechanic myself either, at all.

I have been told to get a crate engine. The engine that came in the Bronco was a standard 302. I'd like to get a crate 302 that has a little more than stock performance. Which companies should I be looking at for this engine?

so you have gone from a mild engine to a 408 based on others advice. go back to the advice given by another member, your bronco, decide what you need and go with that. be careful with your "dollars" or your budget will be gone quickly. more is not always better if you dont need or want it. mild 302 is all i need, if i buy a 408 it will go in 'fast car" not a brick, but if your budget and needs allow it get the 408 if that is your choice. been down the road of going "more" in the end it just multiplies and grows. just my .02 cents. btw, everything i read on blueprint is good and sounds like the mild 302 would be perfect for what you want. call them directly or send a pm to the blueprint rep that is on this forum.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
so you have gone from a mild engine to a 408 based on others advice. go back to the advice given by another member, your bronco, decide what you need and go with that. be careful with your "dollars" or your budget will be gone quickly. more is not always better if you dont need or want it. mild 302 is all i need, if i buy a 408 it will go in 'fast car" not a brick, but if your budget and needs allow it get the 408 if that is your choice. been down the road of going "more" in the end it just multiplies and grows. just my .02 cents. btw, everything i read on blueprint is good and sounds like the mild 302 would be perfect for what you want. call them directly or send a pm to the blueprint rep that is on this forum.

More power can mean broken stock parts on down the line so you may need to think about an upgrade to the transmission, tcase, drive shafts and/or axles depending on how you drive it.

OP
OP
Tidewater

Tidewater

After reading, looking around on the internet some more, and soul-searching, I may go with a Blueprint or ATK 302. Actually the ATK is a little cheaper. Both are a little more powerful than what came in the truck and the cost is roughly half that of the 408. There may be some unforeseen things that come up that I may need money for and if I commit too much of my budget (over half actually) I may run into problems finishing it any time soon.

More power can mean broken stock parts on down the line so you may need to think about an upgrade to the transmission, tcase, drive shafts and/or axles depending on how you drive it.

My nephew is also a mechanic and he stated just what you did. A more powerful engine will tear up my stock transmission, transfer case, and axles.

Here are links to both engines.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-hp99f/overview/
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bp3023ctc/overview/

Is Summit or Jegs good to order from as they have free shipping on these engines?

Hotrodjohn

I just bought the Blueprint 302 HO roller long block from Summit. Apparently Blueprint doesn't sell that one directly. It comes with new oil pump and the rest of the Felpro gasket set to assemble. Using my own oilpan, intake, etc anyway. I had to get the 50oz balancer and flywheel but you can do the whole thing relatively cheap and have you a roller 302 with a long warranty. It lists for about 1800 I believe and you can sometimes find online coupon to get some off of that.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Gosh. .....i guess I got my ATK 351W in '93?.... Can't remember shit anymore....

Anyway, she's been good to me. Still strong. Love my ATK Windsor.

But that Blue Print 408 is sure tasty.
And my tranny and axles are already built for it.....if I only had the extra cash....lol

rexorcist

fwiw I'm very happy with blueprint 347...still on break-in sub 3k rpm but as others have mentioned my c4 will need to be beefed up soon

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I am looking at these options now, how much body lift do you need for hood clearance for a 351?

I was quoted $2200 from my machine shop to build a 351W bottom end, bored & balanced and all parts included. I would provide oil pan & pickup (their option was $400) and flywheel (theirs was $300)

Then I'm looking at water pump, pulleys, aluminum heads, intake etc etc so wondering what's the better option. thanks

mustanggarage

Contributor
The Blueprint 408 is popular with this crowd here on CB and this crowd is quite the test bed. If normal people can kill an engine in 10 years with 250,000 miles on it, these yahoo's will do it in 5 years with 50,000 miles on it.
Some of these guys really walk the walk, if ya know what I mean?
They actually rock crawl and desert race, and mud drag. Real McCoys here.
The other side of it is the Hot Rod community seems to like Blueprint, sort of finicky crowd that doesn't like new comers, they are another crowd that really beats on their cars at the drag strip. High praise from that crowd.

But again Blue print has high dollar "and" budget friendly builds.
The 408 is a way to get maximum practical cubic inches in a sbf. Blueprint allows you to pick a cam and valve train that will promote low end torque. This is really important as most crate engines hang their hat on high rpm horsepower. But in an eb you want good torque down low on the tac.
My Windsor (sbf) is built for low end torque. Its pretty much done making power by 4500 rpm or less.

Low rpm high torque engines are more usable, more fun and more tractable in a short little eb.
Off road torque is king. It is fun.
Torque is what pushes you back in the seat.
The 408 is my next build. Sort of looking for an excuse.

I just bought a blue print 408 stroker. I ordered it from summit racing. I got free shipping. ordered it on monday it was delivered friday. it was supposed to produce 425 hp this is my actual dyno sheet. and to top it off, I found out after I ordered it that my cousins husband is the engine design manager, she said I could have gotten a better deal if I had ordered it direct from him. FML.

Attachments

• dyno sheet.jpg
    dyno sheet.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 206

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
...and to top it off, I found out after I ordered it that my cousins husband is the engine design manager, she said I could have gotten a better deal if I had ordered it direct from him. FML.

I don’t know what FML means but...could I get his contact information? ;D

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
I have been considering a Blueprint or Atak 347. I haven't researched a ton yet, but it makes me question why people are doing 5.0L and explorer swaps and doing all that work/money when you can get a crate 347 with 400+ HP and just (is seems) drop it in and not have a mess of computers and firewall and hood issues for engines with less power/less torque. Is the 347's HP/TQ not in a usable range for regular use of an EB? grrrrrrr…. looks like more forum searching on that issue to educate myself. But not until I enjoy my regular ole 302 this summer first. :) Seems a winter project.

pipeline010

I just bought the Blueprint 302 HO roller long block from Summit. Apparently Blueprint doesn't sell that one directly. It comes with new oil pump and the rest of the Felpro gasket set to assemble. Using my own oilpan, intake, etc anyway. I had to get the 50oz balancer and flywheel but you can do the whole thing relatively cheap and have you a roller 302 with a long warranty. It lists for about 1800 I believe and you can sometimes find online coupon to get some off of that.

to the OP, do what John wrote above. You have the 302 already, meaning you have all the dressings. Don't spend money you don't have to. Valve covers, carburetor, manifold, distributor...it should already all be there. at minimum even a non-mechanic can and should have knowledge of how to manipulate those parts.

you go bigger than that high output 302 and you'll be doing your entire drivetrain before long. Stock Broncos weren't made for 0-60; mess with that and you better be ready to mess with all of it.

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
but it makes me question why people are doing 5.0L and explorer swaps and doing all that work/money when you can get a crate 347 with 400+ HP and just (is seems) drop it in and not have a mess of computers and firewall and hood issues for engines with less power/less torque.

The OD transmission.

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
The OD transmission.

ahhh...hadn't thought of that. Good info. Well I don't really have a need or want to go over 65 mph with it nor do I care at all about MPG because its not a commuter. So if I can make my C4 take the HP/TQ of a 347 that may be the smart way (for me) to go.