• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Voltage meter is swinging from 10 to 14 volts

tampabronco

Bronco has been getting body work and painted over the past few months and has been driven sparingly. Brought it home yesterday and noticed the voltage is swinging back and forth. Battery is less than 6 months old and is taking a charge

Any suggestions on where to start?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Loose connection somewhere. Either in the charging system or voltmeter wiring. Maybe verify the voltage swing with a different voltmeter on the battery if you can. Do a visual check of all the charging/battery cables.

Dlish

is the belt tight for the alternator? If its loose it can make the readings vary during idle between idle and under power.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
Is it the old mechanical voltage regulator or a newer electronic one? The old school ones will do that in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I always say check and clean .. Hell even add a couple more ground straps. I usually run a ground from the mount of my Alt to the battery side ground.
.. I had a 1980 Bronco 300 cud that would not start with out a ground strap from the starter up. I even had to remove them an clean about every 6 months .