• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Money Pit - Phase III

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Not a whole lot done tonight - just keep plugging along.

I cut the back of the slider to size and capped the slider ends up tight-

After it cooled I shot more black hammerite-

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Got my slider mounted up and the cleaned up the door post and painted it.

Also hacked off the damn exhaust - it was in my way :mad:

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Well - today I spent then entire day in the garage and got quite a bit done.

Get the entire door post/kick panel replaced and made if BEEFY.

Also got the crap cut off the frame and I also removed the power steering pump, box and hoses.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Got the floors set in -

Got the door set in and lined up -

Stuck the D60 under there and got it centered -

Here is my approach angle - should be able to drive up a wall :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Got the pinion set - here is the angle ~12*. Drive shaft will be around 27" long...

Mocked up the coil buckets-

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Got rid of the jack stands -

Made adjustable buckets - mounted them to the frame. Turned out perfect!

Ended up pushing the front axle forward around 4"

Bottom of window sitting at 55"

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
looks good but how are you going to get it out of the garage? it looks too tall now.

I'm going to pile friends in the back and ratchet strap down the frame to the axle... or just air down the tires. It isn't that far off from fitting - I can still easily open and close the garage door (the arm doesn't hit the roof)

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I'm going to pile friends in the back and ratchet strap down the frame to the axle... or just air down the tires. It isn't that far off from fitting - I can still easily open and close the garage door (the arm doesn't hit the roof)

meh. Just throw her in reverse and mash the skinny pedal. It will come out! ;D

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Thx - it is a labor of love. It is going to be a little interesting on how I'll keep the front clip on after I hack most of the supports off :p

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
Nice progress. I love the look of the bogger and uncut rear... too bad it probably can't stay that way.

Is the slider welded to the frame or just bolted. I noticed the door post is now welded to the slider. how would you remove the body now?

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Nice progress. I love the look of the bogger and uncut rear... too bad it probably can't stay that way.

Is the slider welded to the frame or just bolted. I noticed the door post is now welded to the slider. how would you remove the body now?

Sliders are bolted to the frame - door post is welded to the slider. Don't really have any intentions of ever removing the body... if I need to I'll just plasma the angle off the rocker. I thought I was going to weld the sliders to the frame - but I don't think I'll need to as I can jump up and down on the rocker and it doesn't pull away from the body at all. It would be neat to try and keep the uncut rear - but there is NO way it would work.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Got a shock tower made up -

It angles off the frame because of the axle width. I am going to cut out some 1/8" tabs to weld into the top to space the shock out just a little bit more - I don't want it to rub on the tower.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I built my other shock tower and it fits great - ready to weld those on. I also took off the arms and drug the axle out for welding and cleaning.

I welded on my Cage arm mounts and my coil cup supports (welded angle to give the cup a very wide and flat spot to ride on so I don't get the classic coil cup bow)

That is a 3 pass weld - lots of heat...

I also finished welding up my adjustable coil buckets and gussets - welds don't look the greatest on camera, but they were more then enough.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I didn't get anything done tonight - but I did get a box or two :D

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Got my high steer arms installed. Took way more time then I woulda though - but I did run a tap through all the the threads, clean out all of the old grease from the kingpins, run the studs in with locktite and set the preload I wanted on the knuckles...

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Well - tonight I put the axle back together after I put new u-joints in the D60.

I also finished up welding and bracing the shock towers and welded them to the frame.

Set the truck back down - it is getting moved aside so the boat will fit in. Prepping for a fishing opener trip to Ely.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
This weekend was barely a weekend to with everything going on - bot Sat and Sun were greatly limited by scheduled events. It didn't prevent me front getting a few things done though -

Had to move the Bronco over in the garage to make room for the boat - here is a reference picture of how big this thing is... floor to roof is 7'

Got my steering all figured out and measured - just need to cut my mounts to length, angle them forwards to the axle and weld everything together.

Steering angles turned out very good -

Here is my track bar mount - Ballistic Fabrication style.

I'm thinking of trying to put the trackbar on the back side of the axle to keep everything clean... looks like I'm going to have to have one bent up to keep my up travel.

View from the front-

Frame Side-

Axle Side-

Where the trackbar comes out -

What do you guys think about the trackbar on the back side of the axle - is that going to cause problems?