• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tin and Tar - First Time 68 Bronco Resto

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
looks great, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a train;D

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
Well last week was a mad dash to get the bronco ready for the show n shine portion of the take over. I got my license plate light hooked up, fuel gauge, and my urban camo bikini top on as well. I was a little upset that my hood wasn't sitting flush with the fenders. I took a saw and cut a relief point in it and it seemed to do the job until I mounted the grill and I still had spots where its 1/4" off. I ended up cutting a few more relief points to get it to sit a little better and finally gave up. I got everything back together and it's ok but not perfect. It's going back for a final touch up on the paint next week so I'm going to et the pros do a little tweeking on it to get it looking better.

471A78B4-.jpg BCBAFEC5-.jpg

36CC9631-.jpg BADA9152-.jpg

8FE7B445-.jpg 1A7081E8-.jpg

I wanted to take it for a drive on Friday the day before the event but it RAINED ALL DAY and I really didn't feel like getting her dirty before the event so the longest drive it's had were a few short trips up and down the dirt roads around the shop. Anyways, day of the event I follow my dad into town about 10 mi to fill her up at the station. The bronco drove great the whole way there! My dad hops out, puts 15 gal in the tank and is talking about how impressed he is with it and is about to get back in when......FAAALUUUUSHHH!!! SHHHHHHHssshhhhhhh....... god damn cap I re soldered on the original over flow tank blew off the body and puked radiator fluid every where! The spring in the old cap must have been bad because it never released the pressure or my solder job wasn't good enough. Mind you its 7:45 am and we're supposed to be at the event by 8am lol. Luckily NAPA opens in 15 min and is 5 miles away. We run to the store and grab a flexible length of radiator hose and by pass the tank. Boom back in business and made it to the show by 9am.

IMG_6210.jpg IMG_6211.jpg

I finally got a chance to drive it after everyone cleared out as my dad was concerned that the brakes were a little stiff for the hand controls. He was right, after about 20 minutes my arm was tired but man it was worth it. I need to make a few tweaks on the location of the controls but overall I'm really pleased the way it drove!

[youtube]sj_tiTFL9uE[/youtube]

Game plan is to vac boost the brakes and see how that goes, it's the cheaper option at this point compared to hydroboost as I'd have to convert my ps pump to a Saginaw set up. The old school overflow tank I still plan on keeping but I'm going to cap the inflow and out flow ends and turn it into a plain overflow tank. Once that's done, its going back for final touch ups!

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
little update, parts ordered for vac assisted brakes and slightly installed. I just need to reconnect the lines, put a 5 way vac port on the manifold so i'll have enough ports to run, the trans mod, vac advanced on dist, power brakes and wipers. Then get the brakes bled and I should be good there. I'm also re-routing and by passing the radiator over flow tank and blocked off both ends of the over flow tank and making it just strictly an overflow tank. We did manage to get it in the annual town home coming parade which was cool. My dad loaded up the track chair, threw the AR on the side, and completed it with a nice American flag! I wanted to drive it but the brakes were just to tough to depress with the hand controls and with no boost there's a lot of stopping and going, did not want to hit anyone or anything! i'll have pics up of those set ups next post. Hunting season is here and a much needed brake from working.

IMG_6643.jpg IMG_6646.jpg

IMG_6644.jpg EEE1A093-.jpg

IMG_6655.jpg EBED1F2C-.jpg

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
Not much of an update but I updated the brakes to a vac assist which makes things way easier with the hand controls. I rerouted my coolant lines and turned my surge/over flow tank into specifically an overflow tank after the miss hap at the gas station where the cap and fitting blew from the tank itself. I need to figure out a cleaner look but for now it suffices. Since then she's been sitting at the shop waiting for her final touch up. When I get it back I'll put my transfer seat in, hook up the heater cables, get all the exterior trim on it, glass in the doors, and the stereo hooked up so I have some tunes to listen too on the way to Super Cel!

IMG_7705.jpg IMG_7721.jpg

IMG_7729.jpg IMG_8988.jpg

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
Well, the shop tried to save the original hood but it was just warped and not fitting right. I had a brand new hood I was going to use for mold making purposes but ended up bringing it to my friends at the shop... What a difference and it looks great! They also brought back the original seams on the rocker and taillight post I filled in. It's going in for final paint this week and will be 95% done. Just need to hook up my tunes and a transfer seat!

IMG_9990.jpg IMG_9985.jpg

IMG_9992.jpg IMG_9991.jpg

Rocko1012

Windshield bolt plate

When you fixed your windshield, was the original bolt plate welded in? I may need to cut mine out had bolt break off when removing.

Attachments

• 100_4799.jpg
    100_4799.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_4809.jpg
    100_4809.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 100_4801.jpg
    100_4801.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
When you fixed your windshield, was the original bolt plate welded in? I may need to cut mine out had bolt break off when removing.

There's two spot welds that hold it in place. It's actually about 1x2" plate with a threaded hole. You could cut a small section off the side of the frame and slide it out like I did. Mine was already rusted out there so I didn't need to cut it to get it out. the bottom of this page explains more how I fixed it!
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249119&page=7

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
The truck should be back from the shop this week and I still have a list of things to do! I need to hook up my heater cables, Ill do this when installing my speakers as I'll need to run all the wires and bundle them nicely under the dash. I also need to figure out a transfer seat. I was donated one but its a passenger side model and cant be converted. Theres 3 styles available that I think would work but the price on them is ridiculous (about 8-10K) so I'm going to design and build my own. Heres's a few pics I'm leaning towards the middle one. I wont loose any ground clearance and it will offer the most space to slide on in

bruno.jpg xl-seat.jpg xl-base.jpg

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking good! I think I snapped a pic of your ride at last year's BTO.

xmrmrcbYb5ancuQpT_AWFn3mW8URUajX3_GZAtrcp3NkoMs7ET6Vh0ltZbsyr15XBnQBn5ALPJMFayTpYRdapktNRZkil8S95Dy9r2vLl5MlsFSuVjzZ-numxfsrnWIDtsYfYmCIeEQ84U5R6VIqGNpMW4jHgDpMaokrdqQtNuGMn-B9rJUBU9YsaE0UFFBia3co-KevR0ukZfVkjue-hXOHqAhq_dfbIP8phK7TP0L1LKfaWclue2-yT54m0-PjwXY19veDHwlNV7OmmvBX2VOXmKnS96U_TW_PH6rwJayltqCyp33uy7it7fh_VqvevlBL-iyT6AQt56FohzTEWcRfvD1mvx3lKLC3Q15x3RenTAzY3PLfyQbI_LPBG9V4KfPZG1hvzw-9s0SU1zentvE2CbfQY2EOoUfHHA38usoTT5UEA5WJmo8RMjS2IZUjKRN_pfL2xo_-ApI7ztH00LthPUaOos1SMqWpLiJaM7n9iY4iMInAkpOhlMKqrgo8NoNWXqRWnDHOsMT6IQtM-MIrBbG96Hn8rm3oegXNWCcZFz9Ic5Fk9jlgc4jCEHWmiXYvX_nVY5wlJBnLray7putgHf_84pgaiWLJF2xb=w1024-h768-no