• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gauge cluster refurbishing

OP
OP
fallingdown

fallingdown

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
32476749690_96fd28dcdc_k.jpg

Last edited:

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
Kev,
I still like the white on black (reverse of oem) but this one is different, nice. Isn't the oem alu? Just painted differently than this 1... Some 1 must stamp them out like the big body panel machines?
Keep up the great (& fun?) work?

dgold_881

Contributor
Another Awesome rebuild by Kevin

Thanks Kevin.. Awesome work heres the pics of the before and after.

I went with the white face gauges and total black face plate.

Attachments

• IMG_4020.jpg
    IMG_4020.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 136
  • gold 6[1].jpg
    gold 6[1].jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 231

jasonv

I just finished refurbishing JasonV's gauge cluster. Jason was having an issue with his speedometer doing warp speed and being wildly inaccurate. When I opened it up I found that the rear portion of the speedometer (the part the cable screws into) had completely separated from the rest of the cluster. I was able to fix the broken rivets and repair the damage.

Thanks,

Kevin Capito

I received my cluster back a few weeks ago and just got around to opening it to look at it (yes, I have been that busy). It looks GREAT! Now all I need is the truck back from the painter to put it in.

Thanks,
Jason

seismic

Loc.
Grantsville,Utah
Got my gauge back from Kevin last week and it looks great.

Before I found out about his work, I was thinking about the aftermarket gauges to put into my rig but the $450.00 Dakota price tag turned me off. My speedo needle was bouncing around was the reason for looking into the aftermarket. Fifty bucks was cheap for cleaning and repairing and like I said,Kevin did an excellent job on it.
One more thing-the stock Bronco gauge cluster is way more cool and classy than the aftermarket gauges.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
LEDs seem fine Kev. Why no white faces for day time (I'm closer to 60 than 50 yrs old)?
May B that's why? 8-0

OP
OP
fallingdown

fallingdown

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
hey kevin
i put the leds in mine sure like em too.
how did the led on the gear selector work out?
thanks

Fatboy,

I'm getting ready to install the LED in the gear shifter this weekend. I am so happy with the LEDs in the gauge cluster, radio and dash controls light bars. I would highly recommend the LEDs to anybody considering them.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you using a specific brand/type of replacement LED bulb?

Paul

fatboy4211

Loc.
Ennis, TX
Fatboy,

I'm getting ready to install the LED in the gear shifter this weekend. I am so happy with the LEDs in the gauge cluster, radio and dash controls light bars. I would highly recommend the LEDs to anybody considering them.

what do i need to do to get to the light bars?
got my set from toms. be gentle with the wired ones they will twist off. TOMS BRONCO replaced it for me. they just added it on my next order for free!!!

thesnake

Bronco Guru
Kevin, I can't wait to see the cluster in the dash. I've toyed with different variations of this over the last year, aftermarket or factory. Once Kevin first posted his refurbishment of the stock cluster, I knew which way I wanted to go. Kevin has been great to work with and has breathed life into a kernel of an idea I had. Thank You Sir :)

JD

muddog899

kevin,
the gauge looks really good cant wait to get in the bronco and the voltmeter gauge should work great with my new wiring and 3G alt.;D

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
Another silly question

Kevin - I'm trying to change out my cluster you did. Have old one unhooked and screws are out - Doesn't seem like it will pivot out the back with dash in place. Should it? Do I have to loosen or partially remove the dash??

OP
OP
fallingdown

fallingdown

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
You dont have to remove the dash. Make sure the wire harness and speedo cable are out of the way and it should slip right out.

Dogdare

Kevin - I'm trying to change out my cluster you did. Have old one unhooked and screws are out - Doesn't seem like it will pivot out the back with dash in place. Should it? Do I have to loosen or partially remove the dash??

Took me a few minutes to persuade mine to come out, but it did come out fairly easily. It took me longer to lable each wire as I removed them, than to remove the gauge cluster once it was completey disconnected.

Kevin has my gauge cluster now and I can't wait to get it back! Kevin's doing a custom gauge overlay for me to match my tach.

Herb