• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone stretched their windshield frame taller?

Dirtroadjunkie

Hey Guys,

Curious if anyone has sectioned in a piece of windshield frame to make their windshield taller?? I just installed a cage that raised my seats a good 2 1/2". I haven't bolted it in yet so I haven't driven on the road, but I can't imagine seeing stoplights without having to duck way down.

Seems like it would be fairly easy. Not sure how hard the gasket would be to find. Thinking since the glass is a rectangle it should be easy to get. Anyone have any insight??

I don't run a hard top, doors, or wipers so they shouldn't come into play.

phred

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Interesting idea. Don't see anything as a problem. Since you don't have doors or a top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Have you seen the WH view finder windshield? Not available at the moment I believe but it might be easier/cheaper than chopping up yours

OP
OP
D

Dirtroadjunkie

Ya, I did look into those awhile back. They're pretty cool. Would love to get one of those and stretch it. Could run wipers then, but more $$$.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Go the glued in route on the windshield glass and you won't even need the gasket.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Get with ScanmanSteven, he's stretched the windshield frame plus more.

OP
OP
D

Dirtroadjunkie

Will do. Planning on stretching more as well as nose pinching and dovetailing eventually. Thanks!

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
6'3" tall, had to almost lay down to see out! I added a 1x3" tube to the bottom of the windshield frame, raising the frame 3", allowing me to add wipers to the bottom. Only run a safari top, thinking of having a custom made soft top, not really that bad. Doors won't fit, but could or might add soft windows, hardtop just needs a spacer, just a few challenges. Do it, I've not regretted it.

Attachments

• IMG_2320.jpg
    IMG_2320.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 405

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
It's much easier and cheaper to source a set of lower sitting seats. I am running a set of Celica seats in mine, dropped the seating position 2" over factory and with sitting lower you push back a little too. Better overall fit and comfort IMHO than raising the windshield, specially if you want to maintain use of doors, hard top etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
6'3" tall, had to almost lay down to see out! I added a 1x3" tube to the bottom of the windshield frame, raising the frame 3", allowing me to add wipers to the bottom. Only run a safari top, thinking of having a custom made soft top, not really that bad. Doors won't fit, but could or might add soft windows, hardtop just needs a spacer, just a few challenges. Do it, I've not regretted it.

Wow, I never even picked up on that mod to yours. Very cool.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

And I had never even noticed that. Nice :)

OP
OP
D

Dirtroadjunkie

That's a hell of an idea. I was debating if the bigger glass would look weird. Thanks for the input ScanmanSteven! Anything to keep in mind with this Mod? Simple as welding in a 1x3?

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Hardest part was cutting off the hinge. Basically just welded on the tubing. I'll get a few pictures tomorrow and some added features.

OP
OP
D

Dirtroadjunkie

That would be great, Thanks. I was at the yard yesterday picking up more mounting bolts for the cage. I was going to grab a piece of tubing, but couldn't decide between going 2 or 3". 3" looked too tall, but your picture looks really good. I'm going to try mocking up the different heights.

hucklburry rev2

I also thought when the stainless windshield frames came out, someone mounted it upside down which made it nicer to see out of, and made lower wipers work. But it would have only raised it like an inch.

I got a cage that raised my seats, I reworked the tie-in and got fiero seats.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru

can you post a pic of the inside of the windshield to see how the wipers work. also what wipers did you use?

OP
OP
D

Dirtroadjunkie

I second that request. I've been stuck in a few rainstorms diving into gas stations to use their squeegees.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Sorry for the delay in posting these pictures. Life is full of challenges, raising the windshield is just one of many. this project started because I wanted the wipers on the bottom. I used single wiper motors off a boat, I think from Johnson Marine. I like the look, the wiper blades swatch wipe the windshield pretty good, not real happy with the quality of the blade itself. The passenger side wipes good, no so the drivers, I need to flip them around. The synchronizing switch is less than desirable. What I've come to realize is no two motors are the same, so after a little while the wipers are out of sync. If I just switch them off then back on they're okay. If it's raining they work okay because of less drag. Use them to get dust off, good luck with them flopping all over the place. So here you go: Well, Okie said there was more, which as I uploaded the pictures I realized what it was. i also wanted to put the roll cage bar in front of the dash so all that tied into moving the wipers down and having enough room for the motors.

Attachments

• IMG_4301.jpg
    IMG_4301.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_4302.jpg
    IMG_4302.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_4303.jpg
    IMG_4303.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4304.jpg
    IMG_4304.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dirtroadjunkie

Awesome! Thanks for the pictures. You did a really clean job adding the tubing. Thanks again for the idea. I just finished up my cage install, and this is next on the list.

Sourcing the right motors and placing them looks like a bit of challenge. I'm sure I'll put that part off till the rains hit.