• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bilstein shocks

Jakedog

I'm sorry if this has been covered before. For some reason my tablet won't allow me access to the search or tools features.
Anyway, I have a wild horses 2.5" lift with the wild horses shocks. The front end feels too bouncy. I'm wondering if the shocks might be the problem. I'm thinking of switching to Bilstein shocks. I have ran Bilsteins on other trucks and they worked great.
Anyone here ever had this issue with a cheaper shock?
I have an older tube style winch bumper with a winch.
I'm thinking I might need to double shock the front for better control due to the extra weight.
Thoughts?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Jake. No worries about it being discussed before. Because shock (and overall suspension) performance is not only a testable physical reality, but also VERY personal when it comes to an individual's opinions and experiences. So every discussion can be unique.
Fully worth bringing up then, in my opinion.

I would have to say that it is very possible they would be an improvement from your description. After all, the reason we sell them in the first place is so customers can have the option of upgrading between the three different brands/models.

I'd have to say, at least from customer feedback and reading responses here on the forums, that they've got it going on over the adjustable Ranchos as well.
The WH shocks are still a good part, and perhaps going with dual shocks up front is one way around your issue. But so far those using a single Bilstein 5100 per corner are almost 100% adamant that they ride and handle well on and off road. For those that have had their Broncos long enough too, most of them say the 5100's are the best shock they've ever had on their Broncos. That's a big deal when you realize how many varied opinions there can be about a given part sometimes.

We've been selling them for a few years now because they had some good reviews from people we trusted and they'd fall right in the middle of the price range between the WH shocks and the adjustable RS9000's from Rancho. And we (and the customers) have not been disappointed.
Seems Bilstein got the design and valving just right for Broncos.

Some people think our shocks are too soft, some think they're too stiff, and others think they're just right. The Ranchos are universally hailed for being adjustable over a very wide range, and reliable and recognizable. But many (including myself) just never felt that they nailed the valving just right. Good, but never just perfect.
But so far the Bilstein users are a bunch of happy campers.

I don't think your tube bumper is all that heavy (45-55 lbs maybe?), but the winch and bumper combo certainly add some motion to the front. Is the winch mount custom? Or is this a smaller tube "Pre-Runner" style bumper you're talking about? When you said "older style" I immediately thought of the double-tube Smittybilt style.;D
I have a very similar setup to yours. I'm driving a '68 right now that I got from another member here, with a Hanson bumper and winch on the front, with our shocks and the 2.5" as well. It actually works and handles very well, but I'd say also that it could be described as a little "floaty" under some circumstances.
It's not really bouncy or too soft for me, as it sounds like you're describing? Perhaps we're feeling the same thing and it's just wording that's different?

I also just happen to have Bilstein 5100's in the garage waiting for some time to install them. Guess for the sake of this discussion, I'll have to try to do it asap so I can give you a direct comparison opinion.
Been wanting to try them on my '71 project with 3.5" lift, but that's still a long way from happening, so looks like I will be putting them on the '68.

Anyway, call in when you can and see what feedback you get from the other guys.
How long have you had the suspension? Is this previously lifted 5.5 Bronco? What shocks did it have before?

Good luck.

Paul

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I don't know if the Bilsteins will help your bounce but I recently installed them on our '68 and I can say without hesitation they''re the best "riding " shock I've had on either Bronco.
I've had several brands including the ones DirtDonk mentioned and none were bad shocks they just didn't ride as smooth{ take out the bumps } as the bilsteins. Admittingly though I didn't play/try too many different adjustments with the RS9000s .

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I don't know if the Bilsteins will help your bounce but I recently installed them on our '68 and I can say without hesitation they''re the best "riding " shock I've had on either Bronco.

Reading up on these and leaning toward them 5100s.. on w/the thread search

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bilstein pretty much nailed it for "most" Bronco owners. But with that good ride quality must come some trade-offs in control. So if you have a heavier than normal Bronco for instance, or actually like to take it out on faster dirt roads (2-track desert paths, etc.) then the heavier valving might be your best bet. At the slight expense of some of that comfort of course.

But I still say they nailed it for most. And in the control-vs-comfort ratio especially. It's a very fine line between a good ride and safe handling.
With most shocks they're either too stiff, too soft, or too harsh (a version of "stiff" to be sure, but anyone that has experienced a "harsh" shock knows what I mean). The Bilstein 5100's are none of those. They're just darn good shocks.

Paul

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
The Rancho RS9k adjustment is Rebound only, it doesn't change the compression valving.

I've never seen anyone complain about the rear Bils valving. It is only the fronts that sometimes aren't enough. If a single 5100 up front isn't enough I think you're looking at going to a 2.5" bodied damper. Going to duals just seems like a band-aid to me.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
I did the 2.5 WH's premium with Biltsteins and I also added a front sway bar. I think it rides great compared to how it did ride with the original suspension.

Broncos will be bouncy compared to say a Suburban. I would rate the suspension upgrade as firm, but compliant.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The Rancho RS9k adjustment is Rebound only, it doesn't change the compression valving.

I've never seen anyone complain about the rear Bils valving. It is only the fronts that sometimes aren't enough. If a single 5100 up front isn't enough I think you're looking at going to a 2.5" bodied damper. Going to duals just seems like a band-aid to me.

Unless they changed something, the Rancho RS9000 adjusts both compression and rebound. The couple sets I have used in the past I checked and it was both. On full hard it was difficult to move either way, but on full soft it moved much easier in both ways. Always put on full soft to install, easier to move into position.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Unless they changed something, the Rancho RS9000 adjusts both compression and rebound. The couple sets I have used in the past I checked and it was both. On full hard it was difficult to move either way, but on full soft it moved much easier in both ways. Always put on full soft to install, easier to move into position.

/\/\THIS/\/\

But that is what kind of sucks though...
It would be really cool to find an inexpensive adjustable shock that you could control rebound and compression separately with.

But I still dig my RS9K's. Still nice to be able to adjust them soft or firm. Just wish rebound and compression were apparently separately adjustable.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
None of those I ever messed with changed in compression. At least not significantly. It has been 20+ years though.....

Bils 5100's "self-adjust", no crawling under the truck necessary.

yewhi

Loc.
San Diego
I have the 2.5” WH lift with Bilsteins and agree with every thing that has been said. I would add that dual bilsteins in front will result in a much too harsh ride. I started out that way and ditched the second set within a couple days (and I run a fairly heavy protofab bumper).

Single bilsteins on each corner are perfect.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Like old school RS9000's & RS5000's, the Bilsteins that you would use in a double shock system are not valved the same as those that you would use in a single shock system.

And also like the RS9k's & 5k's, using a double shock valved shock in a single shock system will not work either.

I bought a truck that had 8 shocks on it, all tires were double shocked. Unfortunately the guy used single shock valved shocks and it rode really, really badly. He didn't understand why. Without yet knowing what they were the first thing that I tried was removing 4 shocks and it made a decent improvement. Moving to Bilstein 5100's up front as an "AHA!!!" moment. That was shortly followed by going to Bilsteins on the rear too.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For those still considering 9000's though, and want or need to use duals, there are a few numbers that are actually valved specifically for use in dual applications. Some were obvious because they were for factory dual setups on GM and Ford trucks where duals were offered.
They used to have 6 or 7 part numbers, but I believe it's down to 4 or fewer numbers now.

Paul