• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Welder advice

triracer67

Contributor
I'm in the market for a MIG welder. I'm a novice welder and usually borrow a neighbors Hobart (with gas) to build exhaust and weld bumpers. I'm tired of borrowing and looking to purchase something new. I will use it for exhaust, and sheet metal repairs. I'm hoping to stay under $500, what should I get, or look for? Thanks in advance!

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
$500 is pretty low. That being said a 110V welder with basic capacity for sheetmetal and exhaust will work. The Chinese welders (all of the $500 range ones are) have pretty decent performance but they usually have shitty whips (welding cable/sheet/handle/trigger) and switches that break. You may get years of service out of them they just are not that great to work with and if you need parts you are hosed. And the duty cycle is usually 20% which you can hit pretty easily.

If I was buying in the $500 range I would try to find a used Miller or Lincoln or Hobart and get a better machine you can get parts for when they break. It may also be a bigger machine 220V opening up a wider range of projects.

I have had a Chinese $500 mig and Chinese $700 tig and a $2,500 Miller. The mig had worked but had crappy gun I could not replace. The tig is much better but again the foot control and ground clamp are junk. My Miller is a Cadillac and a work horse.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If you plan on keeping it spend the extra cash for a good one. Otherwise you'll end up wanting to upgrade later. There's some nice stuff at about the $800 range. After using my buddies tig it's hard not to want one. The welds come out so much nicer

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I really like my Millermatic but they do cost a bit more. I have been using mine for 20 years with no problems. For a lower priced welder I would probably check out Hobart. My neighbor picked one up a couple years ago and I used it a little in his garage and was able to adjust it to work pretty good. For the best welders you need to check out the duty cycle on them. The higher the duty cycle the better the welder. Should also get one with gas shielding. Ken

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Get a Miller, Lincoln, or Hobart. It is worth the money and if you need parts you can get them. I have a Lincoln SP-125 Plus. I have done tons of body work, welded bumpers, made brackets, fixed sections of my brother inlaws CJ7 frame. Its a nice machine it will do mig, flux core wire, and can do aluminum with the right gun. I have used the flux core to do the heavier stuff. It is 115volt or 220volt single phase. I mainly use the 115 because I don't do much heavy welding.They pop up on Craigslist once and a while. I think it cost under $1,000 when I got it new. I have had it about 15 years and never had a problem.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I've got an old Lincoln 110W flux core that's been through the wars and back several times. Still going strong......it's 20 plus years old.......it's been borrowed by everyone and there brother it seems.

Can't goo wrong with a Miller or Lincoln or Hobart.....

Tim

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyone have any opinions on this Miller - Multimatic 215 Multiprocess Welder?

https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welders/multiprocess/multimatic-215-multiprocess-welder-m30090

My brother has the Miller 211 MIG unit, which is essentially the same thing as the 215 minus the multi-process TIG/Stick options, and it runs great. It's every bit as smooth as my multi-process XMT304 (on single phase power), and the only thing I miss is the ability to run a full size spool of wire.

To the OP, while the 120V machines can and will get the job done, I would get a machine that at least has the ability to run on 240V input and has the ability to run a cover gas. While flux core works well and gets good penetration, the clean-up sucks IMO. Just hard wire with a CO2 cover gas can work quite well, plus it's a good excuse to get a Power Tank that can serve multi-purpose on the trail and at home in the shop.

catfan

Contributor
I'm True Blue all the way, I've had my Millermatic 250 for 22 years and still with the original gun. The nozzles and gas defusers are obsolete so I bought all that I could find.
I think I paid 1500,00 back in 1995.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I have 3 and I'm a rookie welder

xmt-304 running 30 wire and gas for general welding

Lincoln sp-135 something like that, has infinite adjustment on the feed and heat settings, I use gas and .023 wire for sheet metal.

schumaker (sp) 230v welder loaded with 30 flux core wire, general purpose welding on junk and to drag outside

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi trircer67. I would get the Lincoln 140 from Northern if I had to pick a decent quality entry level welder. It is a good welder and all the parts are available at any big welding supply house.

Hi TX SS. The Miller 215 multi process welder is a serious welder. Mig all you want. But the one you linked to has no accessories to Tig and stick. My buddy stepped up to the 215 package with all the accessories and cart. Tig gun and pedal, electrode holder, and spool gun.
The only drawback I see is you can only spool gun aluminum because it is 190 amps. You need at least 200 amps to Tig weld aluminum. We talked about that before he got it. He is very happy with the modern settings.
Good luck

TX SS

Contributor
Loc.
Houston
My brother has the Miller 211 MIG unit, which is essentially the same thing as the 215 minus the multi-process TIG/Stick options, and it runs great. It's every bit as smooth as my multi-process XMT304 (on single phase power), and the only thing I miss is the ability to run a full size spool of wire.

To the OP, while the 120V machines can and will get the job done, I would get a machine that at least has the ability to run on 240V input and has the ability to run a cover gas. While flux core works well and gets good penetration, the clean-up sucks IMO. Just hard wire with a CO2 cover gas can work quite well, plus it's a good excuse to get a Power Tank that can serve multi-purpose on the trail and at home in the shop.

Hi trircer67. I would get the Lincoln 140 from Northern if I had to pick a decent quality entry level welder. It is a good welder and all the parts are available at any big welding supply house.

Hi TX SS. The Miller 215 multi process welder is a serious welder. Mig all you want. But the one you linked to has no accessories to Tig and stick. My buddy stepped up to the 215 package with all the accessories and cart. Tig gun and pedal, electrode holder, and spool gun.
The only drawback I see is you can only spool gun aluminum because it is 190 amps. You need at least 200 amps to Tig weld aluminum. We talked about that before he got it. He is very happy with the modern settings.
Good luck

Thanks to you both for reply. B RON CO, I now see the option for the kit at $1,875. I have no welding experience but plan to take a class locally in the near future. Saw positive reviews of this unit and the multi process looked like a good solution for various uses. If this unit is something I can live with for my limited home shop use for years to come I'll make the investment.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For a budget welder I'm a huge fan of the Hobart 140 or similar series from Northern Tool. We have had one for 10 years and abused it. Does anything from sheet metal to 1/4" easy enough. FWIW it uses a Miller gun too.

Cortez

Bronco Guru
I just picked up the new one at Harbor Freight, Vulcan 215 migmax. It can be run on either 110 or 240v input. It has the synergic settings like millermatic, which so far seem to work well. They got an engineer from Lincoln to design the product line and so far the ratings have been excellent on both quality and performance. They offer a 1 year, no questions asked, money back guarantee. Wait for a coupon and their lowest price, what I paid, is $579. I will pick up a gas bottle next weekend and test with argon co2 mix shielding gas.

halfgassed

Loc.
marquette Michigan
Anyone have any opinions on this Miller - Multimatic 215 Multiprocess Welder?

https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welders/multiprocess/multimatic-215-multiprocess-welder-m30090
I bought the next step up the multimatic 200 about 2 years ago, so far no complaints. I bought it when it was on the build with blue promotion if I spent 500 in miller acc, you got a $500 rebate. That paid for my tig kit, and my spoolgun. I have not hooked up the tig or spoolgun yet (waiting on buying argon tank). So far I have used it plenty on stick and mig. The stick seems to burn cleaner/less Smokey than my old miller thunderbolt stick. I would buy it again.

halfgassed

Loc.
marquette Michigan
If your budget is 500 get the hobart 140. A buddy of mine has one and loves it. I had a buddy storing his hobart 180 at my house and I used the crap outta it, nice machines, I was planning on buying a hobart Mic but ended up with a good deal on a multiprocess machine. Another good machine would be the miller 140 with autoset, I use one at work quite a bit and I really like it. Either way id say spend your money on a good name brand machine. Hobart is made by miller, even my miller multiprocess machine came with some hobart wire. Good luck, happy welding