• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which power steering is best?

Jkman67

Trying to decide which power steering setup is most economical and easiest (less hassle) to setup.

The 4x4x2 outside mount box or the 4x2 inside mount box, thoughts?

Current rig is 75 with manual steering.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The long F150 2wd inside mount box is a nightmare to set up. Drilling holes in the frame, messing with the radiator, etc. It is an old school conversion that hardly anyone does anymore due to the large number of better options out there. It will also only work if you have a suspension lift due to the length of the box. It is however, the cheapest way to get power steering due to the inexpensive box that you can find hundreds of at any decent junk yard.

The 4x4x2 is a much better choice but again, not an easy bolt on. Drilling holes in the frame or a conversion plate are necessary. Both of these create their own issues to deal with.

The simplest is finding an OEM power steering setup and simply bolting it on. The only difficulty here is figuring out the best way to modify the manual steering shaft, but you'd have to do that with any of the other conversions as well.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I really like how my '77 power steering box drives, but plan to upgrade to the 4x4x2 since I have those components on hand and plan on going ram assist, so I can port it when I rebuild it. That said, I've toyed with the idea of sticking with the factory box and just adding the ram assist to help with the 37's I'm putting on since I like the feel of it. I have the same box in my '77 F150 with 35's and it drives relatively nice...I actually like driving it more than some newer rigs.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
A prefer the 4x4x2 box and upgrade to a Saginaw pump while you're at it.

^^^^^ This is exactly what I did, for the shaft I built my own with Double D stainless fitting on one end and a new rag joint on the other. Bought a collapsible shaft on this forum, WildHorses has all the sizes you can choose from. ;)

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Need more info on what you expect..
I'll say the easiest is the stock Bronco Box bought from a member in the For Sale section. Most used unit here cost about 250.00...
I BOUGHT ONE FROM a diesel forum. The guy was PUTTING IN A HIGHER CLASS MODEL. so I bought his old Bronco unit for $65.00 . It's what he ask me for it.
Now Here's another one that will work. I have a 1980 IH ScoutII
GEAR BOX. BUT While it's the same box iT'S 3 HOLE ...Only 2 of them match . You have to drill a new 4th hole. .& All the same gears will fit in it that fit in the Stock Bronco box. I've had my IH Box for about 7 year.
.... & There was an old Nissian box that would work but It was all metric.& If your like I am I hate metric stuff. So it was out for me.
..... I still think the best deal is to just wait until some one has a stock Ford Bronco box to sell......

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 70's 4x2 (long sector shaft) box only had fame since it was the first "kit" power steering conversion. Beyond that, it is a horrible choice. If it wasn't for kits being sold and people being able to get power steering easy (without trying to find an original Bronco box or building there own conversion with junkyard parts) it would be nothing more than another random junkyard swap.

So many better choices exist now.

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
ps box

I use a factory ford bronco box up to 33 inch tires; 35 or larger, I use 4x4x2 box

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 70's 4x2 (long sector shaft) box only had fame since it was the first "kit" power steering conversion. Beyond that, it is a horrible choice. I.

The very first PS upgrade I did, many years ago, was with the 4x2 box. Never had any problems with it, although it was well mounted on a reinforced plate with a lower strut/brace that connected to the bottom of the box casting and over to the opposite side frame rail.

I agree though...too many better options out there today.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Most everybody agreed there are great options to upgrade to now...

BMC69 mentioned and this is really important, it doesn't matter which box you go with but it's extremely important to reinforce the frame as all strg boxes can cause cracking in the frame area where they mount.

Some kits offer reinforcing as part of their kit.

Seattle66

Contributor
I can't speak to other setups but I am really happy with the 4x4x2 installation I did. I can steer my Bronco with 1 finger. And I like knowing that I don't have to worry if I want to go up in tire size etc... it's going to handle pretty much anything I want to do.

redfishtony

Loc.
Thomasville GA
OK, I'm gonna ask. If I go to my local u-pull-it yard and try and find a power steering set-up what should I be looking for? I would like to be able to focus on just a few options. Vehicles that will work etc... I have access to several older ford trucks but not sure what will work.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru