• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Paint body first or flares and body at same time

sticknstring

I'm about done with the body work on my obviously unoriginal 1968. I've searched and not found much, what do you guys recommend? I'm going to paint the flares body color, but I'm not sure if I should paint the body and the flares separate and try to mount them onto fresh paint risking scratches and mistakes. Or would it be better to paint the flares after mounting? I don't like the idea of painting the small amount of welting between the body and the flares body color. I'm really stuck here. Thanks in advance guys!

KBUCK1

Mount the flares. Take them off then paint the body and flares separate then reinstall

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
I have a couple of loosely related questions- where do you buy the welting? Also, do aftermarket fenders, the good ones, fit right out of the box or are holes needed to be oblonged or any other fab work? Reason I ask is I am 9 years into my build, and I have two aftermarket fenders that have been properly cut for fiberglass flares from one of our top vendors. They have not been mounted up yet. I would like to carry them into a body shop and have them painted before installing them. A shop will put them on so that the truck can be driven. I would prefer not to pay to have them installed and then removed for paint...but then again I would hate to have shiny glossy fenders that need fab work to fit properly.

Thanks in advance!

Brett

OP
OP
S

sticknstring

OK, makes sense, so mount the flares, drill all the holes, buy more rivets and mount them after all is painted? Seems to carry the risk during reassembly, still may be the best option.

needsmoarturbo

OK, makes sense, so mount the flares, drill all the holes, buy more rivets and mount them after all is painted? Seems to carry the risk during reassembly, still may be the best option.
I installed mine with small stainless sheet metal screws. My personal preference over rivets

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

STalon89

Yup. Drill before you paint. Its very easy to slip up when installing the flares. And pre slice the welting before you are installing it behind the flare. Also, a heat gun makes it very easy to work with

durwood71

Another option to rivets or sheet metal screws, I used Stainless Steel allen head machine screws with nylock nuts. Rather time consuming to install but they won't loosen up and fall out.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA

We offer two options for welting. I always liked the self taping screws for ease of taking the flare on and off. The risk is scratching your new paint that is much more likely to happen if you are installing the flares for the first time. If you really want to be carful it's best to drill the holes even if you are using the self taping screws.
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_Fender_Flares

Jim

Attachments

• 7320_2710_popup.jpg
    7320_2710_popup.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 12027_5732_popup.jpg
    12027_5732_popup.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 15

STalon89

I used the stainless self tappers and drilled first. Very happy with the results. Jim is right.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
anything special needs to be done to flares to get paint to adhere, like SEM adhesion promoter or such?

thx

Hank

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also, do aftermarket fenders, the good ones, fit right out of the box or are holes needed to be oblonged or any other fab work?

What holes? You have to cut and drill everything to fit the flares, so yes they fit. But only after you've made them fit!
Of course, you should always lay them up against the uncut fender first, just to be sure the mold wasn't filled crooked or the final touch-up of the flare at the factory didn't end up with someone getting a little too rambunctious with a trimming knife!

Reason I ask is I am 9 years into my build, and I have two aftermarket fenders that have been properly cut for fiberglass flares from one of our top vendors. They have not been mounted up yet. I would like to carry them into a body shop and have them painted before installing them.

I guess I still don't understand your question. If you have the fenders, and they've already been totally cut, drilled and fitted, then what's the issue?
Or are you changing from one brand/style of flare to another mid-way through?

A shop will put them on so that the truck can be driven. I would prefer not to pay to have them installed and then removed for paint...but then again I would hate to have shiny glossy fenders that need fab work to fit properly

You don't normally need to have them installed just to drive to the shop do you? Is it that the tires stick out too far and you have a long way to drive and might get a ticket? Or is there something else?
Maybe you're talking about the pre-fitting process, if that's not already been done? Sounded like that was already done and ready to go.

Nothing aftermarket fits out of the box except light bulbs. I would definitely prefit them. Ken

True. But heck, even light bulbs don't always fit anymore either!

anything special needs to be done to flares to get paint to adhere, like SEM adhesion promoter or such?

Hey Hank. I believe that at the very least you want to add some flex agent to the paint. I'm guessing that the adhesion promoter you mention would not be bad either, but a flex agent is pretty important in the long run.

Here is what I used to Mount the flares. They are a bit of a PITA but look good went done. I put the screw on the inside with the flat out. It's a very clean look.

Those are very cool! Do you have some pics of your setup for us to see?
Kind of a strange name, and I'm sure they are a pain with the screw head inside, but I bet they give it a great and fairly unique look.

Thanks for posting that up.
Now where's the pics!

Paul

STalon89

I scuffed with a red brillo pad, cleaned with prepall, then adhesion promoter, then 3-4 coats of SEM trim black.

Attachments

• IMG_0920.jpg
    IMG_0920.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 24