• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How critical is pinion bearing preload

Rickb1b

The reason I ask is, I’ve come across quite a few conflicting post on this topic. My old chilton manual says it should be 25-35 inch pounds. I initially set mine at about 25-30 and it seamed really tight. So I started reading and came across quite a few post where people said it should be 13-15 range, these are all post talking about new bearings. So after much difficulty I got mine at 15 and they feel more acceptable to me. Seem reasonable. FWIW, I always wonder just how accurate these in pound torque wrenches are?

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
You should set it to spec. The bearings break-in and loosen up. That’s why there is a break-in period where you drive short trips and allow things to cool off. Basically spec is just is before the bearing stops spinning smoothly, which feels pretty tight. For a used bearing, shooting for the lower end of spec would be fine.

Without knowing what axle you’re working on, or new/used, it’s difficult to offer anymore advice.

The bearings should be lubed, no pinion seal, and the carrier assembly removed. Yes the in/lbs torque method is accurate. As accurate as the operator anyway.

OP
OP
R

Rickb1b

I guess I should be more specific with my question, what is the spec. Multiple sources list a different spec. Some say 25-35 some say 13-15. In all cases we are talking about new bearings with oil seal removed.

OP
OP
R

Rickb1b

Ok. Guess I should read the instructions. Looks like the sheet that came with the gears says I should use 14-16 in lbs. Guess I got close.

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Torque wrenches are surprisingly accurate. I have Snap-on wrenches that are calibrated regularly due to the whole aviation thing, but I have friends who use Craftsman and they are just as accurate as my Snap-on according to the calibration lab. But, as is said above, you have to use them correctly. Steady pressure on the handle, avoid extensions if at all possible.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
15 in-lb has always been my go-to number with new bearings. My Snap-on dial gauge only goes to 100 in-pounds...it's specifically for measuring torque when setting bearing preload...so I don't worry about accuracy. ;-)

But even cheaper beam wrench will get you close enough as long as it's overall range is not excessive. I have one of those that goes to 300 in-lbs and I'd trust it to measure 15...plus or minus a few.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I prefer beam type torque wrenches because you know when they're out of calibration. They just are not the easiest to use.