• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transfer case

66 1/2 cab

Had my Bronco in the paint shop and went to pick it up and the transfer case has no resistance it is just sloppy. My Bronco is a 66 .i don’t know much about the transfer case because it has been in the shop most of the time and i would like to just drive it. I need some help. Thanks for listening.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, 66 would be a 3 speed. Does it start and drive. It may be left in 2 high if you are lucky. My guess is the transfer case gear lever bolt is just loose. Good luck

OP
OP

66 1/2 cab

Yes it does start but won’t drive because of the lose transfer case. How do i fix the bolts. Thanks

OP
OP

66 1/2 cab

Yes a wrench but where . Do i take off the transfer case boot or do I go underneath the bronco.And is it just a bolt that connects the rod to the transfer case. This may seem a simple mechanical problem for most but I’m not that person. I’m just learning.

Cortez

Bronco Guru
When you say the tcase is sloppy are you talking about the shift lever? If so, then you should be looking at the assembly at the base of the shifter to see if it’s come apart or if the bolt is loose that the shifter rotates upon. Do a search on the forum for Dana 20 shifter and you should get some threads with pics. Start with the boot removal to get a visual.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
If the shifter is loose, climb underneath and inspect where it bolts to the adapter between the transmission and transfer case. It will be a tight fit up under the floor board, but can be tightened without removing anything.