• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1350 Flange CV joint w/o zerk...

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Last year when I was working 16hr/day, 7day/week on the Bronco for 5 months I didn't notice that my new 1350 flange rear driveshaft didn't have a zerk for the CV when I installed it...

How long do you think an ungreaseable CV will last? I'm guessing not long...I just found out tonight when greasing my rig...

I'm calling the builder at 7:01am who I've used for over 20 years and will ask how long a life this will have...

Thoughts? This will give me a bit of ammo when I call in the am...

thanks

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
It depends on the angle it's running at. I've seen them last a long time with no maintenance. But I'm with you I've never seen one without a grease fitting. Although many have the button type that require a needle to grease and can be tough to see and find.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I ONLY run joints that are non-greasable. The joints are far stronger and as long as you are buying Spicer Life series joints they will last a LONG time.

I ran some 760X joints in my plow truck and offroad truck for 5 years before I blew a joint in half and the grease inside was still fresh. I had D60 axle steer joints that I used on three different sets of axle shafts that still had clean grease in them, and that was running 37's on a D60 in the mud, those joints saw nothing but mud, sand, rocks and the pressure washer.

If you wear the joint out it is going to be from running too much angle ( IF it is a quality joint).

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Are you asking about the U-joint or the centering ball?

U-joint without a zerk is fine, probably better.
No zerk on the centering ball, talk to the builder.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Centering ball......they open in 1hr 23 minutes....

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Oh, yeah. That is a no-go.

It's looking like the quality Spicer 212019X is non greasable and the Neapco N3-83-019X is.

Interestingly enough the Neapco part is ~$30 more than the Spicer part.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
At this point I'm more than a little disappointed... they know (customer computer info) that I run 10K street miles and several week long Moab or Moab like wheeling trips/yr...plus all the other trail and snowbashing I do... she gets used... "-)

Last edited:

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
I had a driveline shop for 10 +yrs sold it in o7 and we used only spicer parts and for grease it was lubrication engineers (LE)some of the centering cups had a small needle type zerk and some were spec`d without but the grease on assembly was good for 70k -100k miles the more angle the less miles same with the non service u joints 100k miles and remember if using u bolts they are only 20 ft # torque ;)

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Absolutely no needle type zerk...this is a Spicer unit which doesn't have a zerk fitting. ALL my CV joint DS's over the past 42 years of Bronco ownership have had the small needle zerks. Back in '69 we made a grease tip out of a steel ball point pen filler...no joke!! There wasn't an adapter to grease them. My Dad talked to the local Ford dealership (Harris Ford Lynnwood) and they not only didn't have a tip or any way to grease one, but they were clueless.

T-case is at 7deg from vertical. Rear is at 12 deg. from vertical. Driveline sits at 11deg at rest so I'm not at an extreme angle by any means but, this thing runs in sand several times a year, is swimming in snow/ice/slush 1/2 dozen times year, rest of the year is just rock, dirt, and 10K miles/year... its not going to last... several driveline shops said it's not the type of grease in the joints or CV, it's whether there's ANY grease in the joints to determine how long they will last.

I talked to the shop this am and they are willing to replace the yoke assembly with a serviceable ball and socket... major hassle but it beats hearing the squeak 800 miles from home and then 1-10 miles later it seizes up! They usually go quick w/o much if any warning.

Last edited:

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Ouch yeah, they will probably put that Neapco part in there as I couldn't even find a 1350 greaseable center from Spicer.

Those angles aren't bad - might be worth looking into if you continuously go through joints or shafts. Obviously 1310's were not up to the task for me and I was looking at big CV's but I decided on just jumping to 1410 and I'm glad I did.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I think the 1410 would have been a good step to take...

You are right, Spicers are non-serviceable...

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I ordered a 1350 CV drive shaft for the rear of my buddies, ordered it direct from Tom Woods. He told me the 1350 CV won’t be greasable, like the 1310’s are. My first experience with this bigger stuff.

Mark

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Yeah, not sure why that is the case with the 1350 stuff. Lame.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Spoke with Troy from Tom Woods today...they can change the ball/socket over to the greaseable style, it just won't be Spicer.

High Angle driveline offers there own patented setup...not sure why or how they could patent a flange but...at least their setup is serviceable...
e
What really gets me going is I told them EXACTLY the intended use and they didn't listen and did what they wanted- even tho it wasn't the right part for the application