• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP now! Replacement Extream Custom Fab links?

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Guys I am broke on the trail. Do you know what year make and model Extream Custom Fab uses on their custom 1 ton steering linkage?
I broke the link where the steering link goes into the drag center link.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I don't know if this helps but I got on there sight and here are some of their part numbers. I don't know if they will cross over and help or not.

ES 2026R G.M. 1 Ton Tie Rod End Drag Link End

ES 2027L G.M. 1 Ton Tie Rod End Drag Link End

Extreme Custom Fabrication - ES 2233L G.M. 1 Ton Tie Rod End
ES 2233L G.M. 1 Ton Tie Rod End

ES 2234L G.M. 1 Ton Tie Rod End 7/8-18 Left Hand Thread

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I made it out of the trail but I had to ream the new link. I will make a second set to take with me next time.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great that you got out. Too bad you had to go to so much work to do it though!
Shame too, to have to keep a spare of something that you built to be pretty indestructible. You driving it hard today? This the rig with the 37's then?

Interesting rod end to break too. This is the one with the tapered hole over on the passenger side tie-rod? Break at the area where it necks down outside of the tapered hole? Or break somewhere else?
Got pics?;D

They almost always bend on the first trip out, but I have only seen a couple actually break.

Paul

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
This was with my trail rig "The Skunk" on 37 H1s.
I have a ram assist but this damage was all rock. The rock was pointed directly at my linkage and I failed to memorize the trail correctly and when you get close enough you cant see over the hood. I just picked a bad line and did not have a spotter.
I bought a spare set this morning that I will ream and keep with me.

I broke the tie rod end in between the reamed out hole at the jam nut directly on the threads. I also bent the drag link end just a bit. The DOM tubing was fine.

I got lucky to find the parts on a Sunday but it took me a couple hours of driving around. My wife had to drive 1.5 hours to bring me a drill and my tapered reamer bit. Once I made the hole I then had to find someone with a capable enough rig just to get me back to my Bronco. A very nice guide took me back and followed me out.

It sure would be helpful if I could mount a Bluetooth/wifi camera up front that would send a video feed to a tablet on my dash so I could see this stuff. I may try to come up with something.

Attachments

• Rock pic.jpg
    Rock pic.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20171015_185258.jpg
    20171015_185258.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20171015_173210.jpg
    20171015_173210.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Wow, I have bent a couple of those ends, but haven't broken one yet. I would love to figure out a better option so I can upgrade them before I end up with a broken one and avoid going to heims. I guess carrying a spare is the cheapest and easiest way to go.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are still other styles of linkage of course, but you're right. A spare $30 part (or whatever they are on a Sunday in an emergency!) isn't a bad option for right away.

Paul

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I was at an off road park a few weeks ago watching a JK crawl over some big rocks. The guy had thick aluminum steering links that bent very far after he connected with a rock. He just backed up and hit it a different way and the linkage was fine even though it bent 6" or more back. It just went right back.

That would have been nice vs a bend or break with steel. Do any of the bronco vendors sell an aluminium steering link option?
or is there some huge negative to aluminum ones?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was at an off road park a few weeks ago watching a JK crawl over some big rocks. The guy had thick aluminum steering links that bent very far after he connected with a rock. He just backed up and hit it a different way and the linkage was fine even though it bent 6" or more back. It just went right back.

That would have been nice vs a bend or break with steel. Do any of the bronco vendors sell an aluminium steering link option?
or is there some huge negative to aluminum ones?

I've built some aluminum ones. The drawback is mainly the cost of the heavy wall holobar.

snipes243

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
You can also try ironman4x4fab.com he has made a couple of
Steering setups for local broncos. He also does a lot of aluminum links too, so it should be right up his alley.