• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tail light issue

Bronco1294

75bronc, new Centech harness. Headlights on, rt. Rear is dim. Dim. On brakes. Turn signal dim. All work though. ?????

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I would make sure you have a good ground at that tail lamp. If you have a multi meter you can check for 12 volts at the bulb socket. Good luck

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
99% bad ground.

Turn the hazards on and the headlights at the same time. Go back and check again. Bet you loose all light in that bulb when they both try to come on at the same time.

OP
OP
B

Bronco1294

Ground seems good. Still an issue. I did find a disconnected ground in the engine bay- it loose on one end but the other is attached to the intake manifold behind the carb. Any idea?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Not battery ground. Bulb ground. Paint, corrosion, dirt can insulate the bulb base from being a good ground. Not limited to just the bulb to the socket, but anything from the socket to the battery ground can be bad. Yes, paint is an insulation.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
If you do not have a good ground for the light then you have a voltage divider circuit. Disconnect the +12 volt cable from the battery. Then check with the multi-meter using OHM setting for resistance from the ground wire on the light to the body at a known good ground on the body someplace you can reach with the meter lead. Should be zero ohms resistance. Or sometimes I connect a long wire from the battery ground and use that as my ground reference and see if there is resistance from various locations I expect to be grounded. You are wanting zero (or nearly zero) ohms to ground from points you expect are ground. Some multi-meters will show like .003 ohms, which is essentially zero ohms. If you are seeing ohms resistance to current flow then you have a voltage divider circuit in play and the bulb will not be seeing a full 12 volts across it.

Last edited:

ransil

Bronco Guru
shitty ground x3
engine ground and frame /body ground are 3 different things.

grounds are independent of the centech harness. ( centech harness ground scheme is questionable at best)

ground scheme should be Battery- Engine , engine - frame and body.

I always weld a stud to the frame near the engine mount and inner fender.
battery goes to frame stud, then frame stud goes to engine bolt and body stud.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
A little more on grounding....as mentioned I did similar. I welded a 3/8" bolt to my frame. Also welded a bolt to the body (heads of the bolts). Then ran heavy braided ground cables from battery to frame and from body bolt to that frame bolt. The body, battery and chassis are definitely grounded together on my Bronco.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Regarding the not-charging issue though, what alternator are you using? Internal or external regulator?

Paul