• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI swap on a 70's Block

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
Hi Folks
thinking of doing the EFI swap' as a friend has pretty much everything I need from some left over Mustang builds, that he will give me,
harness, computer,lower,upper intakes etc......
My question is if his stuff is 89-93 will it bolt to my 302
checked the castings, and looks like I have a 1971 Torino engine
Ive read that the late 60's early 70's up to 74 are stronger blocks.
this motor according to the PO is 60 over, and have found this summer that it is burning oil, need to do a compression test and I suspect the seals are gone as I get a good soot like spray on start ups
I may just swap on some TF heads
If the intakes don't bolt on and I go to a newer block, Does the C4 bolt to the newer block
thanks in advance for any info

Not going for a ton of power, first thing I need to do is re gear, as I have 3:50's on 35" tires, thinking 4"56's which in it self will give me some torque back

Attachments

• bronco1.JPG
    bronco1.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 120

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
EFI is nothing more than an intake swap as far as the long block goes, so yes it'll swap over.

.060 over is considered my most engine builders to be a futile effort for a small block Ford engine, the castings are just too thin to support that over bore. So that said if your burning oil and looking at an engine build soon, you might just want to look into a complete new engine. I wouldn't bother swapping heads either as new heads that seal better can cause blow by at the rings on a tired bottom end.

I'd recommend you swap over to efi like you want and run the current mill 'as is' and start planning to build another engine whenever you have the time and funds.

Good luck.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Bucknbronco did a mustang efi swap on his bronco recently. Keep in mind the costs of additional stuff adds up real quick. I agree with the motor being spent. My dad had a 302 bored 60 over be fore we replaced it with a Torino 351. The 302 lasted a few thousand miles but developed smoking and using up oil. My uncle said there there was a crack in the cylinder or journal (I'm not engine savy) when they broke it down. Dad was pissed that he sank a couple of hundred in a new motor so he wanted to salvage engine parts and put them into another engine. I think those parts are still in an old wooden box in his garage. The 351 he picked up for a couple hundred has been running so well for 12 plus years. Those older motors are the best. Try and find a fresher 302 and build it up with ur efi parts. Going that route will allow you to keep driving ur EB! Good luck! Take pics and keep us updated too!

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Unless you are pushing for 1/4 miliseconds, block strength is negligable - they all split around 500HP anyway...

A 302 is a 302 is a 302 - your motor mounds like a boat anchor if it is .060 over, everything from any 302 will swap over. I would find a take out engine and put the EFI intake on it. Beyond that it's a fairly simple swap, its not heart surgery like everyone seems to make it...

doran4x

Contributor
If keeping the original bottom end you will need to swap out distributor drive gears. The EFI dist. has a steel gear that will shread your flat tappet cam gear. You can order a new cast gear from Summit.

OP
OP
skerrybronco

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
Great advice, Its not a daily driver, and in the garage for the winter, I think I will look for a motor to put together on the side, as we know it never ends,Playing with the front Bumper right now
putting a winch and trying to still keep it looking stock, I will do a posting of it when I can,
The dana 20 is dripping and the drip is red so I need to pull that out and do the seals,
besides that everything is pretty much done, Oh ya Gears and maybe a Detroit
Does the C4 bolt to any 302 there are different BH's for different years no.........

techlaf

Contributor
My Ford engine rebuild book says .60 bore only on a 351 or bigger engine. It says you're asking for trouble with anything over .40 on a 302 and that .30 or smaller bore is what you want to buy if buying a reman block.

It sounded to me like a roller motor was the way to go if swapping out and didn't care about originality.

When I was looking for a roller 302 I called some of the major resellers of reman blocks and most sell up to .40 They sometimes have .20 or .30 bores, but you have to ask for it.

The 302 roller I found was out of an '86 Thunderbird and I had it bored at my local machine shop. You probably won't find an '85 mustang motor, but I think you are good as a roller with any 302 '86 and beyond.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I would go junkyard hunting for an EFI 5.0 - lower miles are better,b ut it really doesn't matter. Many have posted internal pics of 180K motors and cross hatching is still there and everything is fine.

Find yourself a motor from a 96' Explorer - GT-40 heads, EFI and the Explorer serp already on it. It's the best motor for EFI swaps for simplicity sake. I wanted more power so I yanked the heads from a 96' motor and put them on a van 351W with the Explorer serp.

OP
OP
skerrybronco

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
Well found a new old block from a 92 mustang with about 87000k, $100
looks like I'm building a motor on the side, dropped it off at the local speed shop to have everything checked, hot tanked, and probably new rings and crank bearings,
got a line on some AFR heads with about 2500k the guys upgrading,
I have a question about the flex plate which is now 28oz and if I use my old harmonic bal. am I ok, or is the newer motor 50oz specific.....

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 63

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The newer motor will require a 50oz. harmonic balancer and 50oz. flexplate. Your original Bronco stuff won't be compatible. Are you sure those AFR heads have that many miles on them?;D

OP
OP
skerrybronco

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
My friend supplying me with all the EFI stuff will pick his brain tomorrow he may even know him from the track, Mustang Guys, this is all new to me as Ive mainly been a GM guy and built a CJ7 from the ground up wasn't much jeep left when I finished, dana 300 and the 30 in the front
any way had sold the jeep this summer and came across the bronco and had to have always liked them, I think they are awesome, trouble is you don't find out here
thanks for the info, will keep posting

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Swap the efi on your old motor and get it running right and then swap in your rebuilt motor. Much better to fire up a new motor on a proven fuel and ignition system. This also spreads your money out so you dont take as big a hit all at once.

OP
OP
skerrybronco

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
My Mustang buddy is recommending TF stage 2, I dont want something to to radical
any opinions welcome, Going for more bottom end, street and trail

Godwick

Loc.
Santa Barbara, CA
subscribed. Think you'll get a lot of RV cam type selections, but i think you're going to first have to decide if you're going roller block or not. Maybe you already mentioned that though, I dunno....
What tranny you running?

OP
OP
skerrybronco

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
EFI swap on a 70's Block+ 5.0 build

Well building the 5.0 on the side have a couple questions
will probably do the efi on the old motor first
1. for you cam experts block is 30 over, AfR 1420 heads

SB-Ford Outlaw Street Cylinder Head
185cc Intake Ports
Stud Rocker Arm Mounting
72cc Combustion Chambers
69cc Exhaust Ports
1.290'' Hydraulic Dual Valve Spring with dampner
135lbs. Seat Pressure
.600'' Max Lift

woud this cam be to radical, My Mustang guru is saying to go with it
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-compcams-xe270hr-stageii.html

2. Oil pan, should I use 5.0 or the original old eb one
Mine has silicone on it where the stick comes out, and the dip stick bends under the headers toward the front Pain in the u know what,
does not leak but really dont like the design.

3. Oil pick up strainer bolt is on the centre main. passenger side of new block,
does this work with eb pan.

thanks in advance will obviously have more questions later

Attachments

• 306a.jpg
    306a.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 306b.jpg
    306b.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 42