Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 08/16/18, 10:28 AM   #16
englewoodcowboy
Contributor
Lick Creek Restorations

"The Duck"

Ceres, VA
I have one of the 66 Columbian export broncos in my shop. It came with the original order and build sheets. At some point in time they converted the back into dutch doors and we are working to make it look more like Ford did it vs using whatever they could find. It is a U13 factory ordered with a hard top and doors as well as a low compression export motor and 4.56 gears. So yes, you could order a U13 however you wanted it. I am thinking they may have been done this way to obtain a bench seat perhaps or they were simply pulling stock orders and changing them to fit the customers needs after they had already been serialized.

BoxWood Green Poly '73 (o===o) 347 Stroker, FiTech Go EFI, Explorer Serp,2.5" Duff SL w/Bilsteins, Duff TQ Tamer, AOD, Hydroboost, TrueTrac LS Front & Rear, 4.88 gears, 35" BFG KM3, F150 Disc Brake, Factory PS, Family Cage ctsy Nick's Trix, AC, Stereo, PWR Windows, Locks & Steps My Build.
englewoodcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/18, 10:47 AM   #17
71sport408
Contributor

Strokers make me happy

Mandan

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustytruck View Post
The aerodynamic fairing for the gas cap was made because of the whistle coming from the gas cap handle when the truck was up at ludicrous speed on a steep down hill run.
Which would make the bumper sticker make sense. Haha.

1966 Half Cab project in the works! Gone: 71 Sport, uncut, 408 stroker, kick a$$ C4, spool out back, LS up front, 4.11, 2 1/2 suspension with 30x9.50 bfg muds, power steering, 23 gallon tank, etc.
71sport408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/18, 10:59 AM   #18
JGbronc
Contributor
Bronco Maniac

3rd generation of Bronco owners. It's the first two's fault.

Hytop, Alabama
eBay: j77bronco

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by englewoodcowboy View Post
I have one of the 66 Columbian export broncos in my shop. It came with the original order and build sheets. At some point in time they converted the back into dutch doors and we are working to make it look more like Ford did it vs using whatever they could find. It is a U13 factory ordered with a hard top and doors as well as a low compression export motor and 4.56 gears. So yes, you could order a U13 however you wanted it. I am thinking they may have been done this way to obtain a bench seat perhaps or they were simply pulling stock orders and changing them to fit the customers needs after they had already been serialized.
Is it Chris's?

Those Colombian Broncos went through FIGESO, Ford's export group at the time and were modified there. I believe they built tops, cut the tops of the wheel tubs and shortened them, and some got the "barn door" tailgate. There have been a few surface with those tailgates.

The U13 had all the same seating options as a U15.

'66 U13
'67 Military
'71 Sport (Wifey's)
'76 Explorer
JGbronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/18, 12:46 PM   #19
englewoodcowboy
Contributor
Lick Creek Restorations

"The Duck"

Ceres, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGbronc View Post
Is it Chris's?

Those Colombian Broncos went through FIGESO, Ford's export group at the time and were modified there. I believe they built tops, cut the tops of the wheel tubs and shortened them, and some got the "barn door" tailgate. There have been a few surface with those tailgates.

Yes it is Chris's. We cut the gate open, the work done looked ok but far from what I would expect anything production to be. It contained parts from several different vehicles and in its life we can tell it has gone through 2 modifications post the original dutch door modification. We will be working to make them look more like Ford would have done it is the end goal for the tailgate but everything else that they did or grafted on is being removed and reverted back to original bronco parts or bronco pattern parts. We have sent the vehicle out for media blasting and will be interested in seeing what is actually hiding behind all of the filler and caulking.

BoxWood Green Poly '73 (o===o) 347 Stroker, FiTech Go EFI, Explorer Serp,2.5" Duff SL w/Bilsteins, Duff TQ Tamer, AOD, Hydroboost, TrueTrac LS Front & Rear, 4.88 gears, 35" BFG KM3, F150 Disc Brake, Factory PS, Family Cage ctsy Nick's Trix, AC, Stereo, PWR Windows, Locks & Steps My Build.
englewoodcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/18, 02:39 PM   #20
toddz69
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Phoenix/Prescott, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGbronc View Post
Is it Chris's?

Was FIGESO more than a sales office? I've seen plenty of references to it with regards to export Mustang sales but I've never seen anything that would have indicated they did body work like the Colombian Broncos.

Todd Z.

Todd Zuercher
69 Bronco and half of a Stroppe Baja racing Bronco
Phoenix/Prescott, AZ
toddz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/18, 03:54 PM   #21
JGbronc
Contributor
Bronco Maniac

3rd generation of Bronco owners. It's the first two's fault.

Hytop, Alabama
eBay: j77bronco

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddz69 View Post
Was FIGESO more than a sales office? I've seen plenty of references to it with regards to export Mustang sales but I've never seen anything that would have indicated they did body work like the Colombian Broncos.

Todd Z.
Maybe, maybe not. If not, there must have been a company they sent them to. I've seen nearly identical work on several Colombian/South American Broncos. Wheel tubs, custom tops, tailgates, etc that all look identical. Sure, an owner could have modified them but like I said, nearly identical work multiple times.

'66 U13
'67 Military
'71 Sport (Wifey's)
'76 Explorer
JGbronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/18, 03:57 PM   #22
okie4570
Contributor
Bronco Guru

NW OK
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by englewoodcowboy View Post
Interesting info, how does the build sheet state that a top and doors were ordered? Just asking out of curiosity because it might be the only existing sheet out there still and not likely to ever see another one lol.

1971 U15 302/np435/twin sticks
1966 U14 Born 9/65'
1966 U15 Born 10/65'
1966 U14 Born 9/65'- SOLD
okie4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/18, 07:34 PM   #23
ChrisC74
Contributor

Sugar Hill, GA

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie4570 View Post
Interesting info, how does the build sheet state that a top and doors were ordered? Just asking out of curiosity because it might be the only existing sheet out there still and not likely to ever see another one lol.
I have a few inches of paperwork, photos, etc. that came with the truck. Copies of the original import paperwork when it was shipped over in 1966, etc. It is all in Spanish which I don't read so I had someone read parts to me a few years ago.

It was originally yellow and it also had the full rear barn doors like Joe Cardi's that he brought over at the same time. Mine were cut down to half doors at a previous resto over there.

I cannot tell you where the rear door mods were done. Here, there, who knows...

One thing that I thought was cool was that the truck was we believe coming down the ford production line as a U13 with a 8 cylinder engine. At some point it was pulled for export and a low compression straight 6 was installed instead. They overstruck the 8 cylinder engine code with the straight 6 low compression number on the VIN.

We ran this by Marti and while now one can prove anything they concurred that is what it looked like.

I like the split tailgate and will keep it if we can.

Chris

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1966 U13 - brought back from Colombia South America, soon to have built 5.0, 4R70W trans, 4.56 gears, and TBD color paint
1974 U15 - 331 Stroker engine, NV3550, 4.30 gears, BC Soft Top
ChrisC74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/18, 08:30 PM   #24
okie4570
Contributor
Bronco Guru

NW OK
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC74 View Post
I have a few inches of paperwork, photos, etc. that came with the truck. Copies of the original import paperwork when it was shipped over in 1966, etc. It is all in Spanish which I don't read so I had someone read parts to me a few years ago.

It was originally yellow and it also had the full rear barn doors like Joe Cardi's that he brought over at the same time. Mine were cut down to half doors at a previous resto over there.

I cannot tell you where the rear door mods were done. Here, there, who knows...

One thing that I thought was cool was that the truck was we believe coming down the ford production line as a U13 with a 8 cylinder engine. At some point it was pulled for export and a low compression straight 6 was installed instead. They overstruck the 8 cylinder engine code with the straight 6 low compression number on the VIN.

We ran this by Marti and while now one can prove anything they concurred that is what it looked like.

I like the split tailgate and will keep it if we can.

Chris

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Awesome that you have all of that documentation still!! I looked at it at SC at couple of years ago, and have to admit I was pretty fascinated with the rear doors lol.

1971 U15 302/np435/twin sticks
1966 U14 Born 9/65'
1966 U15 Born 10/65'
1966 U14 Born 9/65'- SOLD
okie4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/18, 06:25 AM   #25
asappin
Contributor

I would like to see more pictures of Roadster Broncos with full tops. I go back and forth on whether or not I want a hardtop on mine. Sometimes roadsters with a full top look odd to me.

Sorry for the threadjack
asappin is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat