• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer PS Pump PSI and FLOW modification

Dlish

What was the quote to modify from lee?

Sorry for the delay, in responding.

Final price was $202 (including shipping back to me)

Motor is going back in this weekend, and hopefully have the pump back early next week to get that bolted up.

Dlish

Update to my experiment with the Explorer pump.

Put some break in miles on the street for the motor and it worked really well. Wheeled exactly 2.5 days before I lost the pump at Roundup. All of a sudden had zero power below 2500rpm.

Called Lee, and they recommended to pull the high pressure line off and check the plunger thing under it, seemed to be working fine, put the line back on and still nothing below 2500.

So my Explorer pump is in a box in the garage for another day.

(But I will say its a good thing the pump went out, looking closely at the frame under the steering box I noticed a nice 5in crack in the metal. So just need to clean that up and get some welds and a plate over the frame, and a saginaw pump is going back in)

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hopefully, I'll be doing this tomorrow. If not, then next weekend for sure.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
My oem Explorer pump sure feels strong. I just have 35's though, and no HB,...yet...

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My oem Explorer pump sure feels strong. I just have 35's though, and no HB,...yet...

Mine was pretty good to with hb. But the added flow of the ram assist...well, it all locks up when you turn the wheel too fast and MOST of the time it’s just hard to turn anyway.

Just got off the phone with the Napa store and they apparently don’t carry it on the weekend. At least not THIS weekend. No one else has anything either, so I’ve ordered a bunch of stuff from Rockauto. We’ll see how that works out for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I would rather buy a used Ford pump from a junkyard than a new chinesium pump from an auto parts store.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok I got my rebuilt pump swapped in and had zero fluid movement. Here’s some pics after I’ve pulled the pump back off.

df18384fd04099971376ae52a454dfc3.jpg

The plunger with the pin is what was working in the bronco earlier today. I put the SD spring with the flat plunger in the rebuilt pump and had no fluid movement. The pump with the pin in plunger had a slightly larger hole, which you might be able to see in the following pics. (The pin will go in both pumps so the hole size doesn’t seem necessary for the pin.)

3bb9a6ddbf3e0644c50fba54bf6929a4.jpg

74fb5a5875749203b0f67b4f82ccbfa4.jpg

Below is a pic of my homemade adapter that’s worked well for three years.

87e3e037f4786e91eece0b950f85065f.jpg

So where’s my problem?

Last edited:

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think I put a piece in backward. maybe two pieces. Anyway, gotta handle some craigslist business and then I'm back out there to install a re-rebuilt pump.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got it all back together, and the pump works. It's not MAGNIFICANT by any means, but it's fairly easy to turn my 35s at a stand still.

I'm thinking about building my own smaller pulley, but I'd like to look into one already made. i'm not finding one on Driven's ebay account. Any ideas?

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Got it all back together, and the pump works. It's not MAGNIFICANT by any means, but it's fairly easy to turn my 35s at a stand still.

I'm thinking about building my own smaller pulley, but I'd like to look into one already made. i'm not finding one on Driven's ebay account. Any ideas?
Call driven
They will make one. It works great. Save your time and buy it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Dlish

I have the Driven smaller pulley unused brand new, I can check this evening if you want to work something out.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the Driven smaller pulley unused brand new, I can check this evening if you want to work something out.

let me know. Money is REALLY tight this week, but we can talk. I really enjoy building my own stuff and the challenges it presents...until it gets in the way of OCBR. LOL. So I might be better off buying-and-bolting. (I'm being vocabularic this morning.)

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That smaller pulley seems smart.

I don't think my pump turned out like everyone else's and I still have my beadlock/37s to put on before the event... I need to see more improvement before heading out in just a few weeks.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I am still in awe of my Explorer ps pump. This one came with my brackets from Sandmann. He left it on there so I could mock-up my hoses and stuff.
But I went ahead and hooked it up. It bled the air out in less than 5 minutes.
One finger steering with 35's.
It has never been this good for my eb to steer, even with a Saginaw pump.
But I did not expect this at all. So I have subscribed to a lot of threads like yours. Glad I did too because i learn stuff like Driven's smaller ps pump pulley.
I love learning from you fellers here on CB.