• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transmission problem

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
My bronco had been running great up until a few days ago. Everything is pretty much stock on my bronco. 289/ 3 on the tree/d20. Now when ever I am starting in first gear, I have to rev it up really high to get it moving. If I am on the slightest incline then it won't move at all even when I get it a lot of gas. I have a T-shift and that doesn't seem to be the issue. I can move it to 2H or 2L and it has the same problem. Once it gets going it drives great all the up through the gears. It's just a problem getting started.

Only thing I have done to it in the last two days was play with the idle screw a little but I don't think that is the issue. I have moved it back and it's still doing the same thing.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Low on fluid? You didn't mention if you checked fluid level or not... definitely 1st thing to look at.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like an engine tune issue. Messing with the idle screw may have dislodged something. I'm willing to bet that at speed it doesn't drive as good as it did, or at least as good as it should.

A C4 (automatic) will have issues with having to rev the engine for the clutches to catch when the fluid is low. That is where the comment from Sandmann comes from. Being you stated manual transmission I can rule out low transmission fluid as the problem (not that checking it is a bad idea, just not the problem you describe). Now if you had an automatic, that would be the first thing I would check.

OP
OP
NashBronco

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
as always, thanks for the responses.

I have checked the parking brake and that is not the issue (but that was my first thought as well). and the clutch does not seem to be slipping. I do think that my clutch rod is a little long as i barely have to press the clutch for it to engage. Previous owner seems to have lengthened it for some reason. I added a 1" body lift when i got the bronco a year ago. I am thinking that this may be something to look into???

Now that i think about it, I did mess with the timing by rotating the distributor but I have put it back to where it was. I know that because my vac advance is all the way up against the thermostat housing which is where it was when it was running fine. I tried to back the timing down because i thought it was running a little sluggish. That didn't work so I moved it back. I think my timing is set about 10 deg. BTDC.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, X2. Adjust the clutch so it grabs in the middle. I think that means making the rod about 2 turns shorter, but I often times guess wrong. Good luck