• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where to get urethane bushings for cage to frame tie in brackets?

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Hi,
I am thinking about making cage tie ins on my frame. Is there a place to buy urethane bushings by size? I was thinking about using 1.75 inch O.D. .120 wall tubing 2 or so inches long for the bushing sleeves. So far I am not having any luck finding just the bushings. I am not hung up on the tube size either so if there is a better size to use I am open to ideas. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Autofab is the king of stuff like that. Autofab.com.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks for the replies and the links, I will check them out! You guys are Awesome!

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
Years ago when I did mine I used .120 wall 1 and 3/4 dom tubing designed as a T fitting into a couple of tabs with a bolt going through the tabs securing the T with the opposite end welded to the frame. Not sure if you are following the same design??

For the bushings I used leaf spring bushings from a full size jeep---Cherokee Chief, J-10 etc. They fit into the dom with a little persuasion and they are available from most any parts house.

IIRC leaf spring bushings from a s-10 truck will work too.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks for the info. I will check that out at the parts store, local parts would be a lot more convenient.
Have a good one!

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My cage has 2x3 tubing under the body, sitting on body mount bushings on some body mounts I welded to the frame.

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Ok dumb question here.... Why do you need bushings? Most of the photos I have seen on this board and from the kits I have seen for tying the cage to the frame are: weld to frame a bracket then bolt the cage to that bracket....

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Ok dumb question here.... Why do you need bushings? Most of the photos I have seen on this board and from the kits I have seen for tying the cage to the frame are: weld to frame a bracket then bolt the cage to that bracket....

Various schools of thought on this topic. Many of the Bronco kits are as you describe.

In the off road racing/prerunner world, cages are usually welded directly to the frame but for a daily driver/frequent driver, the solid mounted cage transmits a lot of noise and vibration to the cabin.

It's not seen as much anymore but back in the day, cages were mounted to the frame via tabs and bushings as I think the OP is planning to do. This accomplished several things - if your vehicle rolled or was in a crash and part of the cage needed to be replaced, it was easier to remove and replace if it was mounted via bushings. And secondly, the bushings tend to absorb a lot of the road noise and vibration which makes it a more tolerable design for vehicles that are operated on the road a lot.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the responses. I will look into all of the suggestions before I decide on the finished product.
As Toddz said, I was trying to eliminate as much vibration as possible by using bushings. At first I was not going to tie my cage to the frame. I have several floor bars that would prevent the cage from pushing through the body if there was a roll over. After thinking on it a while I have come to the conclusion that the frame mounts will be a better idea. I like to " Hope for the best and plan for the worst". I have come this far, so a little more fab work is worth the risk in the end for me. Just my opinion of course.

I appreciate all the help, this Bronco Community is Awesome!

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I should have added that my Bronco will be a daily driver and I will use it off road in the mountains ( hunting trips and family outings, etc). This is not intended to be a rock crawler but I do have a soft top and want all the protection I can provide myself and still be comfortable when I am on the pavement.

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
I am at this stage myself, and would like to see some pictures of both types of tie ins if possible, so, lets post up some pictures please :cool:

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
I am at this stage myself, and would like to see some pictures of both types of tie ins if possible, so, lets post up some pictures please :cool:

I can share a couple from my 77 that my buddy that is a race car chassis builder did for me:

SzYmcW8.jpg

dfN8XyM.jpg

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
I'm not sure if tying the cage to the frame provides a tangible benefit or not. Seems to be a hot issue of debate in the 4x4 world akin to which off road tire is best or the auto vs manual transmission discussions.

In my thoughts it was worth it. The reason I used bushings was not to help with noise issues or reverberations but I know the body will twist and move some while off road especially in extreme flex positions. My thinking was it allows the body to have a little bit of room to move around and not pop body mount bolts and such.

I have a six point cage custom built. I did not tie the the cage to the frame at the very rear. The spring hangers on the frame introduced some challenges and the fill tube for the gas tank did as well.

If it helps anyone I can take some pictures and post them up.