• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gumbo Monster Mudders or Ground Hawgs on the street?

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Has anyone here ran a 38" Gumbo Monster Mudder or Ground Hawg on the street with a Bronco at 70mph? How was it?

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i had a set of 14-35-15 gumbo mudders up to about 85mph on my '70 F100, wouldn't do it again. didn't feel very solid, and the only reason i tried it is because i had 21oz of semi-truck weights balancing them.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I dont plan on running 85mph, just 70-75. I am mostly interested in the Ground Hawgs.
I have always thought the Ground Hawgs looked like they could be a alright street tire.

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Id like to have a set of thorn birds if they didnt suck just for the look. A set of ground hawgs would be sweet to though.

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've ran them both over the years on F series trucks in the size you mention. The Mudder is a much better tire on the street than the Ground Hawgs. The Ground Hawg tires have their two center ribs connected to the outer lugs and I don't know for sure if that was the cause or not but they would grab every uneven spot in the road. I remember when I bought the first set , and after running them for about a week was enough for me. If you're set on one of the two , I'd recommend the Mudders. And, like some others have mentioned , they are noisy as hell. But both are great in the mud.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have found a set of 38's in both tires used in great shape. I would of thought the Ground Hawgs were better, but had to ask.

brewchief

How long has it been since either one has been made? Something about running a tire that was never known for great road manners and hasn't been made in years on a short wheelbase tall truck at 70-75 mph just seems like a bad idea.

jspurl3

Loc.
Baton Rouge, LA
Idk about the the gumbo mudders but the ground hawgs are much better on the road than boggers.

FYI: I have a brand new set of CO-OP Grip Spurs i might sell if your looking for an old school mud grip. They quit making them too. Not a mile on them. They are only about a 33 though

Broncitis

MEB Founder
1986 called and wants his tires (and bug deflector) back!

Really, with as many good options as their are out their nowdays for tires, I'd look at other options and leave those in the archives of someone doing a "period correct" show rig!

dube

Bronco Guru
Loc.
big lake Mn
Who wants to go 70 mph in a bronco? I am fine with just low speeds and juts creeping. I am in no hurry to go any where. As stated above, there are a lot of great tires out the there.

aqua_wonder

I ran 15x38.5x15 bias Gumbo Mudders on a 79 F150. They were mounted on 10" aluminum wheels. Balancing was horrible. Over 6oz on each wheel. I balanced them to around 1.5oz. Drove upto 70mph with no problem, but on a pickup.

Gumbo Mudders were soft like Swampers. Swampers grab better than Gumbos. Broke a lot less with Gumbos than TSL SX's. Never owned Ground Hawgs, but knew a lot of people who did. Hawgs are a directional tire that wears like iron.
BTW overall diameter of 38.5 radial Hawgs is 37.2.

Last edited:

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
WHATTTTTTTTTT! I cant hear YA!!!!;) Unless these tires are dirt cheep id save up for a new mud tire such as a goodrich! And by cheep i mean 25-50 bucks a tire. You will be way happier at 70 with a goodrich mud terrain. I ran my bronco a few weeks with some 37 BF muds (the new style) and there were sweet! And super super quiet.

Also as them old tires dry up they start getting worse and worse! Id say what your look at would be just for a mud rig not a street rig.

I thought id never drive 70 in my bronco either, but i always find myself going 60 and i know my speedo is off at least 8 - 10 mph. So asking about how they handle at 70 is a great question!

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Wish it was 1986, I would buy up every Grand Prix 4 wheel RVT I could find! ;D

True, then I could also find a nice new complete set of Formula Desert Dogs for the Balloon Chaser Ambulance Bronco and the Formula Desert Dog PCV (pickup camper, van) series for the Balloon Chaser F-100 I will be restoring!

Like I mentioned above, some tires are best for the period correct restorations! ;D