• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lonesouth's Tan 77

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's the one, Gary.

Tyler, there were a few that took the bypass.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Oh, I remember that one, I was right behind you while you tried a few times. You went another way but I just floored it and made it up.

Parker, when I made it up you where standing at the top and said "you made that look easy".

Rub it in Gary! :)

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm certain to regret this, but I have to say it.

I have arrived. I am at a point where I don't really need to do anything to my bronco. Sure, there are things I wouldn't mind having, Condura seat covers, install those extra offroad lights sitting on my workbench, clean up the speaker wiring...but I really don't NEED to do anything else for now. I drive it nearly every day, and I haven't had a mechanical failure since I can't remember when. It isn't show condition, but it does what I need.

I'm certain to get to some of those and more when things cool down and my wife gets busier with preparations for opening the charter school.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Congrats, It's nice to just be able to enjoy driving it without having to work on it all the time. :cool:

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did go ahead and order some seat covers. King of Seat Covers, Black Widow Defense fabric.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Of course I spoke too soon. Rear axle seals both leaking.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Driving home yesterday and I happened upon a pedestrian crossing I have never noticed in 24 years of driving in town. Well, the crossing lights were solid red when I looked up leading me to slam on the brakes. This is as hard as I've stopped in the bronco to date and I was really surprised and happy with how well it stopped. I was much less happy that my three year old Tom Woods stage 1 stock length driveshaft separated.

Running stock springs with degreed 2.5" lift blocks may have contributed to severe axle wrap pulling the shaft beyond its limits. I went ahead and ordered some new 2.5" springs from TBP, along with 6* shims, some new inside door paddles, and 351w script valve covers. A quick call to Tom Woods and I'll have the shaft sent out for repair next week after I get the new springs installed in order to provide an accurate yolk to yolk measurement. I'll replace my fuel injectors while I've got the intake off as well.

Fun times.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It turned out I did not go with the degreed blocks, but had straight aluminum blocks. One of the blocks was broken at the pin when I pulled it out.

I sent the driveshaft off to Tom Woods for repair. My yoke to yoke measurement of 34.5" after installing the new springs is 1" longer than my shaft was. Be sure to measure for your driveshaft and don't rely on the listings on WildHorses page to be universal.

I've got the original springs and blocks removed, and new springs and bushings installed. I had to have an extended frame to axle brake line made as the PO has simply bent the hard line down and used a shorter flex line. I pulled my old driveshaft out of storage to used while waiting for the repaired shaft. That turned out to be $160 for repair. They replaced all of the u-joints, and the cardone joint. Seems a bit excessive for something with less than 2,000 miles on it, but they said it could happen with the separation of the shaft. Better safe than sorry.

Now that it is all back together, I've got substantial lean to the driver's side. I didn't expect that to happen since I did not touch the front end. I'm just going to have to live with it for now, though since I'm moving across town in three months.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm glad you got it all back together. That's odd about the lean, never had that happen with just new rear springs.

Where are you moving to?

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm glad you got it all back together. That's odd about the lean, never had that happen with just new rear springs.

Where are you moving to?

Arendell Way, one street east of Pedrick/Lafayette Oaks. Closing is set for May 8, but probably won't be moved until June.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Facebook is far too toxic and I don't want to line zucker's pockets anymore. I haven't wrenched on the bronco is a long time and it'll be longer still till I have a place to do it. Regardless, I'm back here for my daily bronco fix.

In other news, we have ANOTHER kid on the way. The bronco can't seat 6, but not a concern for a while. I can't remember the last time the 5 of us took it out. For now, it can still handle me and all the kids. My daily driver tundra crew cab, on the other hand, will be getting replaced. I'll be looking for a 2010-2013 Lexus LX570 over the next couple months. They seem to be cheaper than the Land Cruiser of the same vintage, and only slightly more than the LX470 or Sequoia.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Well Big congrats on the new addition to the family..

book of faces does have a FEW opinionated people don't it haha

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
#4 is here. Faith Anne. Figured it was a good time for new to me tires.

35x12.50r15 BFG A/T. I’ve read mixed reports on this tire size with only 2.5” suspension lift and 1” body lift. For $500, with one of them brand new, I figured I would roll the dice.

0b2b9f56690f32ffdd83f6c9732655a5.jpg

4247ba10a3649d6c21e6adfcfeef55a6.jpg

Last edited: