• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gauge cluster refurbishing

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Kevin,
The speedo on my 77 bounces wildly as I go down the road and also makes a jingling sound like a bell. Have you seen this before and can it be fixed easily?

Thanks,

OP
OP
fallingdown

fallingdown

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Kevin,
The speedo on my 77 bounces wildly as I go down the road and also makes a jingling sound like a bell. Have you seen this before and can it be fixed easily?

Thanks,

Usually what you are describing is an indication that the balancing weight has come loose. Every time the weight spins around it hits the housing and sounds like a bell this is also more than likely what is causing the needle to bounce. This can be fixed but it requires disassembling the head unit. As long I can fix the balancing weight there would not be any extra charge.

Thank you,

Kevin

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Usually what you are describing is an indication that the balancing weight has come loose. Every time the weight spins around it hits the housing and sounds like a bell this is also more than likely what is causing the needle to bounce. This can be fixed but it requires disassembling the head unit. As long I can fix the balancing weight there would not be any extra charge.

Thank you,

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,
I'll PM you later to get your address.

fatboy4211

Loc.
Ennis, TX
Kevin,
Thanks for keeping me posted.
GREAT COMMUNICATION!
cant wait for it to come back. thank goodness my eb has a 10 gal reserve tank!
fatboy4211

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
I got mine in the mail today. It looks incredible. Thanks again Kevin, your doing fantastic work.

ztoolman44

Loc.
Farmington, Utah
Dropped mine off to Kevin yesterday. He has already sent me multiple texts to let me know the status and thinks it will be done by Tuesday even though he had to order a new oil pressure gauge. This guy is on the ball and super easy to work with. Definately someone I would do business with again.

OP
OP
fallingdown

fallingdown

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
How do you do the numbers? I'd love to see a movie of how they are done. They look fantastic.

If you are talking about the odometer numbers, those are sort of a trial and error kind of thing. It took me awhile to figure out the tricks.

If you are talking about the speedometer numbers, I try not to refurbish the factory paint unless I have to. It is very difficult to match the exactness of the original numbers. I find its best to leave them alone if I can.

Kevin

jdamach1

Loc.
Tyler, Texas
Kevin, looks like you do fabulous work. I do have a question on my '70 speedometer. Mine has the bar underneath the 70-100MPH numbers and it is faded. It looks like it was orange like the needles, but I'm not sure. Do you re-paint this bar during your restoration process? Thanks

OP
OP
fallingdown

fallingdown

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I know some Mustangs of the same year had orange or red marks. For some reason the sun has a tendency to make the white look faded orange. If the numbers or indicator lines are faded or scratched I will re-touch the paint otherwise I clean them up and leave them alone. I would be happy to take a look at it for you.

Thank you,

Kevin

Last edited:

cwarren87

Mine is a 70 too and it has what appears to be a faded orange bar under the 70-100 mph markers. Kevin, my cluster has already been cosmetically refurbished but I don't know if all the gauges work. What's the best way to test them out before I reinstall it? Any help is appreciated!

OP
OP
fallingdown

fallingdown

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
A 9 volt battery works well but be very careful because 9 volts is more than enough to burn up the internal electronics of the gauge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fallingdown

fallingdown

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
34195434285_990f4e3335_k.jpg

33352978414_930daeec6c_k.jpg

Last edited:

ztoolman44

Loc.
Farmington, Utah
Just picked up my cluster about an hour ago and it looks fantastic. I tried to give Kevin a couple extra bucks for doing such a great job and he refused to take it. I definately feel comfortable recommending this guy to anyone on here. Communication was excellent as is his workmanship.

FYI-If you look closely, there is a slight difference between the needles on the oil pressure gauge. Kevin pointed it out to me, I would have never noticed. The new one he ordered came this way, but he said that he would gladly try to retrofit an old style needle on to the new gauge if I wanted him to. Not a big deal for me but may matter to those doing a thorough restoration. Just something to keep an eye on if you are ordering a new gauge for your truck. I am more than satisfied with the job he did.

One other thing, Kevin asked if I wanted the bezel the original color or the silver. I chose the silver because I have not decided on a color for my truck yet and figured sliver would match dam near anything.

Thanks Kevin. Let me know if there are any parts you need for your truck someday, I have a ton of extra stuff laying around between my truck and my parts truck.