• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holman Moody "Bronco Hunter"

Ucantafordnot2

Loc.
China Grove NC
Cool what he remembers. Any pics? Which Broncos were lined up? AC conversions or? you should totally ask your buddy about Moorsville drag strip Bronco? Where's moorsville? Is that out by you??

Yea its been in business for 50 plus years perhaps..Its a 20 min. drive from HM shop, Charlotte Motor Speedway, NASCAR museum.. Im just guessing about the following statement but I would venture to say that at least 1/3 of all NASCAR shops are set up on the Drag strips property ( Drag strip is grandfathered in so it is a great place to "set up shop" for a race team)..I am working on a business proposal that I will present to Holman -Moody(Lee) about the involvment of the HMS company and Ford Broncos..I think that a "coffee table" type book w/ history and great big 4 color/BW copy photos would be a decent seller..Sell one to every tire store in America ! Dennis put me in touch with his catalog rep. and they already have the publishing thing down pat so it shouldnt be a big deal to get this effort off the ground..Anyone that would like to contribute to this would be welcomed to do so..Any ideas about content and format is also welcomed and credit will be given to all that contribute..

Last edited:

House

Minutia Militia
I think a coffee table book would be great, but more of a one page leaflet at this point.
I find it odd that no real Bronco specific content with Holman-Moody has surfaced in the
last 45 or so years, but you will be able to find enough to write a book about?
I am all for it if you find it!

Ucantafordnot2

Loc.
China Grove NC
I think a coffee table book would be great, but more of a one page leaflet at this point.
I find it odd that no real Bronco specific content with Holman-Moody has surfaced in the

The reason nothing has surfaced has a lot to do with the nature of competative people..I was told a story recently regarding Willie Stoorpe and some of the projects he is involved in..I was told that he is involved with a shop that will not discuss what they are doing nor allow anyone in to see what is going on..When the air is thick with secrecy and clandestine activity its hard to get the "truth"..Was also told that Willie dosent talk about HM being involved in his fathers business because it would obviously put the spot light on someone else..I can understand this if it is true because we are in a world of "self promotion" so why promote others when it may shed light on the efforts of others.. A lot of folks are in the "ignorance is bliss" mold and if they can keep you in a pumpkin shell they have control on what you can see and hear..Then there are those(most) that dont like to be told something that their brains have not figured out on its own..The good thing about "perception" is it can be defeated with "reality"..I hope I can soon find some photos to back up my "perception of Bronco reality"..ha ha..

Ucantafordnot2

Loc.
China Grove NC
I would like to apologise to Clarrence for going off on a tangent with his thread..I think I am still in the vein of what he asked just a bit off center..

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
.I was told a story recently regarding Willie Stoorpe and some of the projects he is involved in..I was told that he is involved with a shop that will not discuss what they are doing nor allow anyone in to see what is going on..When the air is thick with secrecy and clandestine activity its hard to get the "truth"..Was also told that Willie dosent talk about HM being involved in his fathers business because it would obviously put the spot light on someone else.Then there are those(most) that dont like to be told something that their brains have not figured out on its own..The good thing about "perception" is it can be defeated with "reality"..I hope I can soon find some photos to back up my "perception of Bronco reality"..ha ha..

Willie works for a hot rod shop in CA - I'm not aware of any secrecy surrounding what they do but maybe there is some triple top-secret project they're working on that I'm not aware of.

I've talked with Willie about HM owning his father's business on at least one, probably more, occasion(s). It's also discussed quite openly on 2 pages in Tom Cotter's excellent coffee table book on HM and Willie is quoted in the book talking about it. It may not be the first thing he talks about when you meet him, but I've never sensed any reluctance on his part in discussing the history.

If any additional information can be gleaned on HM's history with Broncos, I'm all ears!

Todd Z.

House

Minutia Militia
In the mean time I will be sitting here in my ignorant pumpkin shell contemplating the reality of HM's large involvement in the Stroppe racing Broncos.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Gawd I hope he finds something soon or else y'all gonna be calling him an out right liar .

House

Minutia Militia
Sorry, not trying to be negative. Just giving him more motivation to dig up some gold! ;)

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Sorry, not trying to be negative. Just giving him more motivation to dig up some gold! ;)

Hey I hear ya just hopping to see the pictures and new to me Bronco history.;);D

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Gawd I hope he finds something soon or else y'all gonna be calling him an out right liar .

I wouldnt do that. I too hope he can come up with some pictures as I think that will make this all the more clear.

What I will say, is that when you've dedicated a large portion of your life (26 years) to doing research, and not simply trying to promote a name or brand, and all of the sudden claims are made with little/no physical evidence and sort of out of the blue, you have to question it. Especially when it was ME doing research not a guy I know, who told me this or that. Some of what I know about the Stroppe and Holman Moody-Stroppe operation is word of mouth, but 80 percent is from vintage photos from private collections, articles from the day, race programs, entry lists, films, real tangible Broncos, and 80% of that is backed up by interviews from employees, competitors, dealers, visitors, who dont have a dog in the hunt...

Ucantafordnot2

Loc.
China Grove NC
I wouldnt do that. I too hope he can come up with some pictures as I think that will make this all the more clear.

What I will say, is that when you've dedicated a large portion of your life (26 years) to doing research, and not simply trying to promote a name or brand, and all of the sudden claims are made with little/no physical evidence and sort of out of the blue, you have to question it. Especially when it was ME doing research not a guy I know, who told me this or that. Some of what I know about the Stroppe and Holman Moody-Stroppe operation is word of mouth, but 80 percent is from vintage photos from private collections, articles from the day, race programs, entry lists, films, real tangible Broncos, and 80% of that is backed up by interviews from employees, competitors, dealers, visitors, who dont have a dog in the hunt...

We are looking at this from 2 different/polar lens..To Holman -Moody Ford Broncos were a blink in time with their history ie. Micro (lens)..To Stroope and those that see the whole of the Ford Bronco race program as being "Stroope" and only "Stroope" it would be "Macro" as in "we dont care about no stinking other history this is the history we know"..I can understand this but it is not reality..I have made none of this up and if not a single photo shows up I will not discount the word of men like Dennis Carpenter or Lee Holman as they have been at the forefront of anything and everything related to Ford and Ford racing for many many more years than most of us here on EBF.. Also I didnt mean to place anyone on this forum in a "pumpkin shell"..It doesnt take a "thinking man" to see that what I am saying has basis and maybe there is still something to be learned after all.. This all started with a little tag on a Bronco that reads" Holman-Moody" and the thread started by Clarrance, or is he telling us all a lie ? What about it Clarrance did you make all this up or do you really have a Ford Bronco with a Holman -Moody build tag in it? Did Holman -Moody own and operate HMS or not..? We shall see and anyone that has a DSO from Charlotte,Richmond etc. Bronco you might want to take a second look at your truck particularly if it has any dealer installed items or mods ..

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
proxy_1.jpg
[/url]
image hosting services[/IMG]

Way cool for '67

House

Minutia Militia
Indeed! But.. a California based rig.

Attachments

• HearstBronco2.jpg
    HearstBronco2.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 1895683-7c8874a6cabb18eb5028a095535caeb8.jpg
    1895683-7c8874a6cabb18eb5028a095535caeb8.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 79

Ucantafordnot2

Loc.
China Grove NC

You are going to buy the first copy arent you? :)

Ucantafordnot2

Loc.
China Grove NC
I have a story(back ground)and photos of a Bronco that used to compete back in the day..If someone would post the pics I will send them over..Maybe someone here knows more than I do about this truck ..It belonged to a man named Larry Tindell out of Jax. beach Fla. back in the late 60s..I was told (second hand info) that it was built with HMS products that one could purchase from HMS ...The fella that told me about the truck said that it had a tag like the "Hunter" has and that it was named "Stormer" or "Stormy"..I have a magazine called "Dune Buggy News" vol.1 number 1 that has the pictures of the truck competing in a rally that was held in the Everglades it was called the Everglades Enduro 300(circa 68-71?)..My contact is a elderly man that again worked at HM when they were known as HMS and he did all sorts of things with the company such as truck driving, deliveries, pit crew etc. His memory may not be spot on but he does have photos and old race related Ford information.. When I meet with Lee Holman I am certian that he will have many photos and extensive info.regarding the subject..Now I am going back to "my pumpkin shell", my darling wife is calling..

House

Minutia Militia
OK, just to recap my thoughts then back to my pumpkin shell.

This I completely agree with:

They did do "dealer installed" items here on the east coast to local broncos..

But how can you say this:

Holman-Moody received every single Bronco race vehical that was let by Ford and they are the ones that were behind the whole program..

And this:

He also said that Stroppe had built a few Baja types before and after the business transactions but most were built by HMS..

And this:

Lee said that the Broncos were back and forth as far as the west coast and east coast shops..

But then say this:

Lee also told me that they never brought the program back east that it always stayed in California as that was where the interest was..

Stroppe was in California.
Holman-Moody was in North Carolina.
Correct?
Am I missing something?

Ucantafordnot2

Loc.
China Grove NC
OK, just to recap my thoughts then back to my pumpkin shell.

This I completely agree with:

But how can you say this:

And this:

And this:

But then say this:

Stroppe was in California.
Holman-Moody was in North Carolina.
Correct?
Am I missing something?

you must be allergic to pumpkin...you have created a context and now want answers to that context..Its all about comprehension ..Start at the beginning and look at my statments as a fluid and evolving culmanation of discovery..I now see that I have placed a very thick steak on some peoples plate and it will take a while to chew ..I will now collect what info I can and out of thoughtfulness to others sensibilities keep it to myself until I can present it in a format more suited to the sensibilities of such...Besides I have done my job...thank you

Last edited:

House

Minutia Militia
Now don't go picking up your toys and running off home just yet, I hear what
you are saying if what you are saying is that you are evolving your knowledge
on the subject. We all are, and we are all here to learn together. :)
The context of your posts came across to me that you were saying "this is the
way it was" each time, but each time it was different. Sorry if I took that wrong
and called you out on it... Please proceed with your research. ;D

Ucantafordnot2

Loc.
China Grove NC
Now don't go picking up your toys and running off home just yet, I hear what
you are saying if what you are saying is that you are evolving your knowledge
on the subject. We all are, and we are all here to learn together. :)
The context of your posts came across to me that you were saying "this is the
way it was" each time, but each time it was different. Sorry if I took that wrong
and called you out on it... Please proceed with your research. ;D

Thank you House...Im through sulking..I did give fair warning that maybe someone else should try to put this together though..I have been kicking the bushs(not George) and a few folks have contradicted some of the things others have said and some have even changed their stories a bit here and there but all is reported in good faith from me(which has led to the "you said this yesterday and this today problem") and I will continue to report in good faith..What concerns me is if the folks that have the info get wind of decent they may not co-operate with me ..(not saying to "blindly dedicate yourselves to what I say" either) as this could spell trouble..I think if we procede with interest in the truth it will come out and if there is no truth well it too will come out.. Lee Holman has an extensive archive/library (from what I am told) and that would be where this correct info could come from,but he has already told me that when it comes to co-operating with others " they either dont pull their weight or they steal from me" I dont want to be either one of those type partners if and when that time comes..As far as the book is concerned I agree there is not enough to write a book about(yet) so that is why I thought the table book would work(mostly pics with big color photos of cool old broncos w/narrative as a side bar with credits and source material indexed/referenced at the back) ...I have gotten lots of encourgement from folks here on EBF and from some of the guys that were at HMS at the time so it may be a viable idea to publish such a book we will see...thx. Daryl Von Cunningham