• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Unimog axles (update.. Got it. mog9 build pics..)

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Pat, I'll do something like the rear axle in your build but it's not going to be right away.
Maybe do a hybrid mog/9" for the front also.:cool:

Do I need to flip the 9" 3rd member if I use it in the front with the mog ends?

Yes, you'll need to flip the 3rd in the front and rear in order for the tires to turn the right direction. Great way to get a HP on both axles! :p

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I got 2 9"s to mess with but they will need new 3rd members for 35 spline, plus new diffs, new ring & pinions, and then disc brakes....

Boy, this is going to cost me...

Yes, you'll need to flip the 3rd in the front and rear in order for the tires to turn the right direction. Great way to get a HP on both axles! :p
Pat,
What if I just flip the right side (mog gear boxes) to the left side and keep the 9" like normal, Will it work?
This is new to me and I'm thinking out loud..

why didn't you just put a bronco body on that chassis????

I thought of that but then it would be a bronco clone... Plus the motor needed alot of work and not knowing the history of the rig I just kept my tunnel vision on the axles...

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
How do you remove the axles and the hubs?
Is the big hex nut on the hub standard counterclockwise to remove?
There is a big washer bent over to retain it.

I plan to chop the ends off the housing saving the flanges with the blue-tip wrench but I want to pull the axles first.
Does the axles pull out similiar to the 9"?

OX1

Bronco Guru
How do you remove the axles and the hubs?
Is the big hex nut on the hub standard counterclockwise to remove?
There is a big washer bent over to retain it.

I plan to chop the ends off the housing saving the flanges with the blue-tip wrench but I want to pull the axles first.
Does the axles pull out similiar to the 9"?

Big nut is std right hand thread, just peel locking washer back. I used a 3/4 inch breaker bar with an 8 foot pipe attached.

To keep the axle from spinning, I made a bar that attached to 3 of the wheel studs and drove a truck up on the bar. They were still a royal PIA to get loose and the hubs were even worse (needed a 6 arm puller, connected to each stud and some decent heat).

Entire portal box hub and axle pull out as one unit, so you don't really need to remove the hub bolts off yet.

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/GREEN_DILYSI/UNIMOG/404/AXLE TEARDOWN/DCP03501.JPG
http://luxjo.supermotors.net/GREEN_DILYSI/UNIMOG/404/AXLE TEARDOWN/DCP03503.JPG

For the front, the knuckle/CV/axle comes with the whole assembly.

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/GREEN_DILYSI/UNIMOG/404/NEW HOUSING/DCP01231.JPG

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I haven't got into them yet so I'll ask those who may know..

Are the unimog gear boxes side specific?
Are the gears in the reduction boxes different left side (driver) and right side (passenger)?

OX1

Bronco Guru
I haven't got into them yet so I'll ask those who may know..

Are the unimog gear boxes side specific?
Are the gears in the reduction boxes different left side (driver) and right side (passenger)?

On 404's they are helical cut and yes side specific (some theories on why some blow them up was from using a front in the rear and not swapping boxes side to side).

attachment.php

406's are straight cut and don't matter.

Should also check out this thread.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657262&highlight=portal+box+breakage

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Mad,
I threw every tool I had at the hubs trying to get them off, since my machinist has a bigger press and bigger pullers I took them to him, he could only get one. I ended up going to a Caterpillar dealer it took them about 10 minutes (they didn't even charge me).
My point is, learn from my mistakes, those rat bastards will ruin your day if you let them, go where the big tools are first.....

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
On 404's they are helical cut and yes side specific (some theories on why some blow them up was from using a front in the rear and not swapping boxes side to side).

attachment.php

406's are straight cut and don't matter.

Should also check out this thread.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657262&highlight=portal+box+breakage

OX,
Thanks for the links. I read through all of it but none said anything about using the boxes left to right....

Just wondering if anyone tried it yet so that you could run the 9" 3rd member in it's normal position.
I'm thinking it will work and I could apply it up front for driveshaft clearance with the trans and oilpan.

I'll be back to the shop this afternoon to attempt to tear apart the axle..

OX1

Bronco Guru
OX,
Thanks for the links. I read through all of it but none said anything about using the boxes left to right....

Just wondering if anyone tried it yet so that you could run the 9" 3rd member in it's normal position.
I'm thinking it will work and I could apply it up front for driveshaft clearance with the trans and oilpan.

I'll be back to the shop this afternoon to attempt to tear apart the axle..

I sent the second link just to show you what upgrades people have come up with for the 404's.

Swapping boxes side to side has nothing to do with input/ouput rotation.
You would need 3 gears (volvo portals and portal-tek bolts on both have this I believe), not 2 like mogs have to maintain rotation.

The "inner" axle shafts have to spin backwards with mogs to get the wheels to spin forwards.

Swapping boxes using a front diff in the rear just ensures you are still running on the "strong" side of the helical gears, like ring in pinions (stronger going forward than reverse).

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Being that they are helical cut gears, thrust (side) loads on the mog boxes are my concerns.
Just wondering if anyone tried it. It would be like driving the axles in reverse all the time.

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Got the rear set home today.... Kids are always happy to help....;D

Well I took them shopping this morning...%)

Attachments

• DSC04305.JPG
    DSC04305.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC04306.JPG
    DSC04306.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC04307.JPG
    DSC04307.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC04309.JPG
    DSC04309.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 170

broncorick

What don't you find on the islands Mad---you are the Hawaiian godfather of 4x4's

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Can't find anyone locally with equipment to respline the axles. So I'll have to source it out on the mainland to get it done....

What axle company could you reccommend to get this done?

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Got some stuff done today after taking my medicine to make me all good.....%)

Attachments

• DSC04322.JPG
    DSC04322.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC04321.JPG
    DSC04321.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC04320.JPG
    DSC04320.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 87

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Can't find anyone locally with equipment to respline the axles. So I'll have to source it out on the mainland to get it done....

What axle company could you reccommend to get this done?

I had mine done a www.performancecryogenics.com. Ask for Dean, he is the owner and real good guy. Tell him that I said "Hi" if you talk to him. Are you going to respline them to 35 spline? If so, you need to find another long side rear axle shaft. The short side rear shaft isn't large enough (diameter) to respline to 35 spline. You can get 31 spline out it though.