• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 hard top on 1972

wrenchjockey

Loc.
Morro Bay, CA.
Building a 1972 that didn’t come with a hardtop. Have a lead on a top from a ‘66. My understanding is there is some differences. Can I make it work and if so is it worth it or should I find a newer top?
Thanks in advance

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I believe the only difference is in the front rail that mounts to the windshield frame. The bolt pattern is different, you can drill new holes that match your windshield frame and make it work. I was going to put a 66 top on my last Bronco and that was the only difference I noticed, it ended up having too much rust so I did not keep it.
I think the rear handle is different as well but I don't believe it affects anything, just looks different. I am sure someone else will chime in and have better info.
Good luck!

pvtshaker

1966 top

I put a 66 top on a 1975 no problem, bolts on top of quarters will line up but you will have to drill through existing holes at the top of the windshield frame into the lip on the top.Put top on first put bolts on the sides then drill holes no problem.a few of the holes on windshield frame will line up

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Bolt pattern along the windshield frame is different between the two years. Drill the correct pattern in either the frame or top, problem solved.

Liftgate is different in terms of the handle and lock location.

Bows inside are bolted in instead of welded.

Weather stripping brackets around the liftgate are different between the years.

The only one of these that will affect it bolting on is the bolt pattern at the windshield.

A heads up, finding the right buyer for that '66 top and selling it will make you enough to buy a later top and leave a fair amount in your pocket. I've been offered $1,500 for the '66 top I have on my '69 but like the oddity of it.

Tombronco66

Loc.
Dallas , Texas
I oddly enough have a 66 with what I have been told is a 72 ranger top on it. I am needing to sell it . It does have some rust and a few dents so it might need some work. Where are you located ?