• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 Rebuild Tips, Tricks and Other Stuff

70_Steve

Old Guy
In light of kaisermusic's upcoming Dana20 rebuild, I thought I'd start a thread as a collection of all the helpful tips we've found for rebuilding these Dana 20 transfer cases. When all is said and done, if I'm motivated, I might consolidate all the info into a Tech Article.

First off, here's a link to the Dana 20 Service Manual.
http://www.classicbroncos.com/dana20/dana_20_manual.html

To disassemble the T-shift front output shaft assy, the book says to pry the front bearing away from the drive gear far enough to remove the snap ring. I've had the best luck by using two large flat screwdrivers, one on each side of the shaft, and tapping them into the gap. This will drive the bearing forward enough to get at that snap ring. Accept you will distort the snap ring when removing it, but it can be straightened and reused.

Lately it has been an accepted practice to assemble the rear output shaft with a bearing preload, rather than a shaft endplay, as specified by Spicer. The torque values most often used are 5-9 inch/lbs rotational torque on the shaft, before installing the seal. This seems to help prevent the transfer case from popping out of rear low.

When reassembling the transfer case intermediate/idler shaft, it's helpful to cut a wooden dowel or piece of PVC pipe to hold the assembly as it's lowered into the case. Cut the dowel or pipe to just fit the inside of the case. Assemble the intermediat gears and bearings. Slide the dowel inside the bearings. Set the assembly inside the case, and use the real idler shaft to push out the dowel/pipe.

To seal the ends of the idler shaft I push the shaft into the case until it just enters the front bore of the case. I then clean the front bore and rear part of the shaft and o-ring with brake cleaner. Then coat the inside of the front bore, and the rear o-ring with an RTV gasket sealer. Then finish installing the idler shaft.

To seal the front output shaft shims, set the proper end play first. Then disassemble the rear flange and shims, lay the shims and flange on something (paper, cardboard, etc) and spray one side with a copper gasket sealer. Then reassemble so there is gasket sealer between each surface. I've also heard that HiTack spray works as well.

The t-shift front output shaft sucks. If you have a chance, replace it with a J-shift front output shaft. Just, remember you did this the next time you order a rebuild kit, cause the bearings are different.

Come on guys. Add what you've learned!!!!

gritz

Good tips. I am rebuilding a TC now and some of your tips will help me.

broncojo

Loc.
Lewis Run, PA
I don't remember an Oring on my idler shaft, I'll have to check into that. Maybe I just forgot but I don't see one in the parts breakdown either.

gritz

I dont have an o ring either, maybe it is on the newer models.

broncojo

Loc.
Lewis Run, PA
Ok that makes sense on the o-ring, my kit from WH didn't have a groove on the new shaft. Just a press fit to seal, I did however put some 1b permatex on the outside of the hole before pushing the pin through. O-ring would be a great idea though.

distended

Contributor
Whats the trick to getting the rear drive sliding gear up and out of the shift fork? I'm guessing you need to loosen the set screw in the shitt fork?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 255

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Need to position the shift rails just right in/out to get the fork to turn. Easier if you remove the springs/balls.

707Bronk

Whats the trick to getting the rear drive sliding gear up and out of the shift fork? I'm guessing you need to loosen the set screw in the shitt fork?

Or take out the front shift rail, then pull the detent balls and pills, after that the rear shift rail can rotate freely. The allen on my rear shift fork was soo tight that this is what I had to do, but I was taking them out anyways for the shift rail grind.

distended

Contributor
Need to position the shift rails just right in/out to get the fork to turn. Easier if you remove the springs/balls.

The detent balls and springs are out already, don't even have them actually. I can get the fork to turn with the right amount of in/out like you said, just not enough to get the gear to clear the edge of the case.

Or take out the front shift rail, then pull the detent balls and pills, after that the rear shift rail can rotate freely. The allen on my rear shift fork was soo tight that this is what I had to do, but I was taking them out anyways for the shift rail grind.

This is what I'm working on but my set screws are so tight like yours that I was twisting my allen head socket and was worried about breaking or stripping it or the set screw. I guess if I do I'll have to drill it out.

Thank you both for replying.

707Bronk

The detent balls and springs are out already, don't even have them actually. I can get the fork to turn with the right amount of in/out like you said, just not enough to get the gear to clear the edge of the case.

This is what I'm working on but my set screws are so tight like yours that I was twisting my allen head socket and was worried about breaking or stripping it or the set screw. I guess if I do I'll have to drill it out.

Thank you both for replying.

I would try tapping the shift fork with a hammer to try and free it a little. Maybe a little heat if its clean enough. Even an allen on a little impact gun, or those hammer impact tool might free it.

distended

Contributor
I would try tapping the shift fork with a hammer to try and free it a little. Maybe a little heat if its clean enough. Even an allen on a little impact gun, or those hammer impact tool might free it.

The shaft ;D moves freely, its the set screw thats tighter than a straight guy in a San Francisco drunk tank!

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them both.

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
The shaft ;D moves freely, its the set screw thats tighter than a straight guy in a San Francisco drunk tank!

My allen head stripped, so I hit it with a mini torch for a little bit. (Just warmed it up not really hot) and used a Torx head of a size that started in the hole. I drove the Torx in with a hammer, and real carefully applied pressure on a breaker bar and it finally gave it up.

distended

Contributor
My allen head stripped, so I hit it with a mini torch for a little bit. (Just warmed it up not really hot) and used a Torx head of a size that started in the hole. I drove the Torx in with a hammer, and real carefully applied pressure on a breaker bar and it finally gave it up.

Thanks, I'll kep this in mind as well.

I suppose I sjould subscribe to this thread.

707Bronk

LOL...I meant tap the shift fork with the hammer....would never recommend taking a hammer to the shaft!

PaveBronco

Ditto, Torx work great..
I'd like to see the forearm of the guy who put those set screws in...

bflippinw

Question on assembling the rear output shaft with 5-9 inch pounds rotating torque- is this done with just the bare output assembly before being installed in the case without the seal? Seems like a big difference between end play and this torque value. I have 0 play now but not near 5-9 inch pounds.