• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 Rebuild Tips, Tricks and Other Stuff

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Question on assembling the rear output shaft with 5-9 inch pounds rotating torque- is this done with just the bare output assembly before being installed in the case without the seal? Seems like a big difference between end play and this torque value. I have 0 play now but not near 5-9 inch pounds.

Correct just the output housing not installed in the t case..I'd start with all the shims installed and tighten down until you feel it bottom out or until no free play ..with no freeplay it should take about an 1/8 turn to achieve close to the preload your looking for .

when I did the HD shaft kit on my last one I was slightly tight with all the shims installed Wildhorses sent me another shim set again great customer service..