• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Selling a built Bronco

OLD BOB

Loc.
ODESSA, TEXAS
I am restoring a 76 with a half cab top and need opinions as to whether or not to use a stock front bumper or a black winch bumper.
i would like to use the one that is most popular since I will sell the bronco when completed.
thanks, Robert

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Depends on what the rest of the bronco is built like?

If all stock ..stock bumper etc.

If modded ..winch bumper.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Robert, welcome!
Did you already own the Bronco? Or did you buy it more recently with the intent of selling it on?

Either way, stock is what I say. It's not the "bumper" that is popular these days. There's no consensus in that department. And not likely to be anytime soon since most new owners are not buying these rigs to go off roading in anymore. Strictly street rigs in most cases.
It's the overall Bronco that sells. Plenty of examples of stock, or near-stock EB's selling for way more than highly built ones. So unless you're building on spec, or have a known audience that has money and likes to buy rigs from you, I would save money on the fancy stuff and stick with stock. Go for rust repair, drivetrain reliability, and stuff like that.
You likely won't get back the money you spend on the aftermarket bumper, especially if you put a winch on it.
Don't bedliner the interior unless you take copious photos of the sheet metal first, to prove to a prospective buyer that you're not just covering up swiss cheese floors.
Good paint and body goes a long way in selling Broncos these days.

For a winch type bumper, you're probably looking at spending between $700 and $1000 bucks or so. Plus shipping if you're not near a vendor.
For a non-winch type HD bumper, more like $300 to $600 or so.
For a stock bumper it's $100 to $140, assuming you even need new ones. Do you have to buy bumpers no matter what? Or are yours in decent shape?
If you're building just a nice Bronco to sell, and expect to make money on it, then spend as little as possible.
If you're building a nice custom off-road rig that actually calls out for a winch-type bumper, go for it. But by the time you're building that much of a custom you're not looking at making much money anyway. At least not on the normal market I think.

Unless you happen to be really good at building Broncos that is. And the Bronco ends up being really special.
You're starting with a pretty popular year, so that's good. Not sure that a half-cab is more popular than a full-cab in the resale market. But if you were missing a top completely, or already had the short top, then it certainly makes sense.

Good luck.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Make it look "good" and it will sell.. if it's original, yeah stock..

modified, etc go w/that looks good

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
can't go wrong with stock, and a winch bumper (with winch) will cost 10x more $$$ Win-Win, save money where you can ;)

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree with rodeo, especially with a half cab. Stock looks more balanced, new owner can add winch bumper if they want.

OP
OP
O

OLD BOB

Loc.
ODESSA, TEXAS
Thanks for all of the advice. I have had numerous broncos but never a complete build like this one. Most have been low milage clean desert vehicles with little rust. This will be an un-cut stock bronco with a new engine, floors, fenders and quarters. I have nice half cab and a winch bumper but have no problem with buying new bumpers. It should be close to a total restoration when I finish, probably some time next year.
My wife thinks that I should keep it and sell my 77, but since I hunt out of it I will be better off selling the 76. And I have had the 77 for 24 years and put 30,000 miles on it all off road.
Thanks for the advice, Robert