• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Master cylinder on an angle

Wolverine

Guys, I just started a detailed inspection of my new (old) bronco. Today I noticed a slight leak from the master cylinder. Wiped it off, and so (few hours) far no leak. But my actual question is; the cylinder sits at a slight decline angle (15 degree). The housing/connection is not bent. I've looked at several CB engine pictures and all seem to be straight horizontal. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Wolverine

Wolverine

Seems weird. When I open the cylinder, the small front compartment is full, the rear brake level is lower, since the fluid runs downhill from back to front. That angle would seem to put stress on the front rubber seal.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, many cars have the master cylinder at an angle. The fluid level should be about 1/2 " from the top. Make sure the gasket on the lid is clean, as well as the cast iron housing, and the rubber space shape things are pushed back into place. If you have disc brakes, the larger compartment is for the front brakes. Good luck

suckerpunched

do you have the 45 degree angle bracket between the firewall and brake booster? I do but is also angles down like that. I corrected it a little with a washer on each of the 2 lower studs between the bracket and hydroboost.
I think the downward angle is intentional, If it was square to the firewall I am pretty sure it would hit the hood. On the leak, mine did too, seeping out of the top seal. I noticed when I bled the brakes it didn't suck the seals in the cap down as I used up the fluid in the reservoirs. I first thought it may have been a poorly stamped cap, but after not really being able to come up with a billet one, I took a closer look. cap "looks" ok, but the top edge of the master cylinder (which I bought new, not rebuilt) was not so great. I ran a fine flat file across the top sealing edge and problem became immediately visible. I took me about 20 minutes to file it down to where I thought it might seal. it was a pain in the ass to try and file it without getting metal dust in the master cylinder. there where high spots and low spots but also some parts filed easily while a couple spots were so hard you could hardly get the file to cut. also I slightly tightened the spring bail that holds the cap down.
All that being said, I am not completely sure I cured the problem because I just did it and have not really driven it much since then, But I think there is a good chance it is fixed.

I think my lesson is to check this before installation of the master cylinder next time.

suckerpunched

one more thing,
I just measured mine with a digital level. it is 5 degrees down, My truck sits a little high in back, probably 1 degree right there. is yours actually 15 or is that a guess?

OP
OP
Wolverine

Wolverine

Thanks for the comments. The 15 degree is a guess, but think I am close. Based on the comments, I won't lose sleep over this.

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
Mine had the original master cylinder in it, ( which was angled down). I replaced it and the booster and actually had to angle the new one down so it wouldn't hit the hood.