• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1967 Bronco V8 "Bruce Banner" Build

thomasstemmle

Loc.
Las Vegas
Hello everyone! I have owned many 80-96 broncos, and have been active with the full size forum, but finally got my hands on a first gen bronco! My name is Tom, Im 32, married, 1 dog, living in Las Vegas NV. I used to be an engineer on ships, but randomly got sick about 7 years ago, and the virus attacked my heart. I have been waiting for a heart transplant for 5 years, and have a LVAD (Left Ventricular Assist Device); aka a heart pump. Due to my disability, I get fatigued easily, major back pain, and can no longer use welders, powder coaters, etc.
I purchased a 1967 Ford Bronco V8 3 on the tree from a member on here in June 2017. It was described as "the original 289, 3 speed and Dana pulled. Everything is there except radiator. Has a good hood, grill, windshield frame, pot metal hubs, uncut dash with speedo, vacuum wiper motors, visors. Plenty of bits and pieces."
It took me quite a while to find a carrier, but ultimately I finally got it delivered. When it had arrived, the Left Rear inner fender had ripped free of the wall and collapsed. The windshield was also shattered. Probably during transit.
I have finally begun to slowly get some work done and evaluate what I am working with. The PO must have owned stock in Bondo. I have removed at least 15 lbs thus far. I am assuming at some point in this broncos life, some POS decided to cover all the original paint, rust, dents, bumps & bruises with heavy bondo, and spray it blue to sell it. Body lines, rust holes, dents, the entire rockers, all just pummeled with bondo. The original Holly Green paint is still underneath.
My plan is for a full frame off resto-mod. I want it to look stock, but update some more modern features with power brakes, power steering, AC, disc brakes, etc. I need to have someone come weld it some supports so I can remove the top and floorpan. I am hoping to save and reuse as much original metal as possible.
I have currently named the Bronco Bruce Banner, bc there is a mean green monster hiding beneath the weak exterior. Eventually, the full Hulk will make its debut. I think that is enough of an intro.. On to some pictures!!

sl1600.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

13.jpg

20170829_165420.jpg

20170830_145543.jpg

20170830_153829.jpg

20170831_183230.jpg

20170831_183239.jpg

20170904_174343.jpg

20170829_172631.jpg

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
looks like you got your work cut out for you. is that bondo above the fender well:eek: congrats on the EB and welcome to the site:cool:

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
Back in the day, 75% of body shops used that amount of bondo. Everyone cars were junk around 100k miles, so bondo was a cheap fix till that time. You don't state what you gave for it, or what you expected, I have a very good idea who you bought this from and saw his listing and even saw the bronco in person, I know what he was asking and if you gave one dime under that you got a good deal. You had to have enough since to know it was a project vehicle, from the pictures alone. He describes his broncos very well and has sold quite a few to others here. I say jump in there and have something to do while you wait for a transplant or for after. After your transplant you will feel like a new man and. Will have a different outlook, and will be excited to begin work on it. Just to let you know I had a heart transplant 14 years ago and have restored 3 in that time and working on 2 at this time...granted it is slow on my part and I have to sub out some. I know you feel the need to vent, but I would place what complaints you have with the carrier.
I pray for your transplant and speedy recovery
Terry

Last edited:

71Broncitis

Definitely looks like you'll be busy! CJ Pony Parts just opened a new warehouse in Vegas and they have will call for parts, so that should save you some money on shipping, especially larger panels.

I posted a video of it a couple days ago if you look in the chat section.

Good luck with your project and transplant!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Welcome! You definitely have a project there, nice to see someone else getting one brought back from the dead. Sorry to hear about your health, hopefully you can get that fixed soon and be back to new so you can do the same for your Bronco! Wish you were closer I would give you a hand with the project.
Good luck with everything, keep the pics coming as well!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome for sure. Other than the obvious stuff, it's a pretty cool starting point. First, it's a '67. Next it's got a bench seat, which is kind of cool in itself.
But the special super duper and ultra rare Rear Engine option is the real winner here!;D

Have fun with it.

Paul

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
Congrats and Welcome to the best forum hands down. You got yourself a nice project there. Plug away at it a piece at a time. It will be worth it.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome, Welcome! Congrats on the project and good luck. Hope your health stays good I know that's got to be a pain to deal with. Will keep you in our prayers

since you're active over there at FSB does that you're neutral in voting, or now that you seen the light, it's all CB.com lol :)

http://top4x4sites.com/cgi-bin/arp/rankem.cgi?id=oldford

OP
OP
T

thomasstemmle

Loc.
Las Vegas
Back in the day, 75% of body shops used that amount of bondo. Everyone cars were junk around 100k miles, so bondo was a cheap fix till that time. You don't state what you gave for it, or what you expected, I have a very good idea who you bought this from and saw his listing and even saw the bronco in person, I know what he was asking and if you gave one dime under that you got a good deal. You had to have enough since to know it was a project vehicle, from the pictures alone. He describes his broncos very well and has sold quite a few to others here. I say jump in there and have something to do while you wait for a transplant or for after. After your transplant you will feel like a new man and. Will have a different outlook, and will be excited to begin work on it. Just to let you know I had a heart transplant 14 years ago and have restored 3 in that time and working on 2 at this time...granted it is slow on my part and I have to sub out some. I know you feel the need to vent, but I would place what complaints you have with the carrier.
I pray for your transplant and speedy recovery
Terry

Terry, I did not mean for anything to come across as though I was shafted. I am happy with the bronco, just was unhappy with the fact that the rear inner fenders are literally held together with solely bondo, and the fender ripped free of the wall, which probably caused the body shift and windshield breakage. I knew it was priced well according to condition. I am sure the guy I purchased it from was NOT the one to do the shoddy work. I am sure he got it this way and just resold it.

Congrats and Welcome to the best forum hands down. You got yourself a nice project there. Plug away at it a piece at a time. It will be worth it.

Thank you! Im eager to start making progress!

Welcome! You definitely have a project there, nice to see someone else getting one brought back from the dead. Sorry to hear about your health, hopefully you can get that fixed soon and be back to new so you can do the same for your Bronco! Wish you were closer I would give you a hand with the project.
Good luck with everything, keep the pics coming as well!

Thank you! I appreciate the offer, wish you were closer too!

Welcome for sure. Other than the obvious stuff, it's a pretty cool starting point. First, it's a '67. Next it's got a bench seat, which is kind of cool in itself.
But the special super duper and ultra rare Rear Engine option is the real winner here!;D

Have fun with it.

Paul

Thank you! According to the Marti report, it was not bench from the factory. No info on the VW style engine lol. I did finally get it out of the back though lol

Definitely looks like you'll be busy! CJ Pony Parts just opened a new warehouse in Vegas and they have will call for parts, so that should save you some money on shipping, especially larger panels.

I posted a video of it a couple days ago if you look in the chat section.

Good luck with your project and transplant!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I know! I saw the video of their warehouse, its amazing! I need to get the body braced so I can cut out the floor pan and get their replacement 1 piece pan. Thank you!

Welcome, Welcome! Congrats on the project and good luck. Hope your health stays good I know that's got to be a pain to deal with. Will keep you in our prayers

since you're active over there at FSB does that you're neutral in voting, or now that you seen the light, it's all CB.com lol :)

http://top4x4sites.com/cgi-bin/arp/rankem.cgi?id=oldford

Thank you! Cant we all just get along! lol

looks like you got your work cut out for you. is that bondo above the fender well:eek: congrats on the EB and welcome to the site:cool:

yea, it has 'structural bondo' lol. I would have preferred duct tape. Thank you!

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
Terry, I did not mean for anything to come across as though I was shafted. I am happy with the bronco, just was unhappy with the fact that the rear inner fenders are literally held together with solely bondo, and the fender ripped free of the wall, which probably caused the body shift and windshield breakage. I knew it was priced well according to condition. I am sure the guy I purchased it from was NOT the one to do the shoddy work. I am sure he got it this way and just resold it.

Thomas,
I apologize for coming across with such a knee-jerk reaction. I think from your pictures you have done quite a bit in very short time. You do have a good project there, and I look forward to reading future updates. Both of my EB projects are far worse than yours. I may never live long enough to complete either one, but I do love the projects and tracking down parts and getting to know other members on here.
Good luck with this bronco and let me know if you have any questions on heart transplantation. Transplantation has improved wonderfully since I have had mine...less rejection and more success rate. BTW, what type of virus was it? I had Sarcoid/cardiomyopathy.
Terry

OP
OP
T

thomasstemmle

Loc.
Las Vegas
Thomas,
I apologize for coming across with such a knee-jerk reaction. I think from your pictures you have done quite a bit in very short time. You do have a good project there, and I look forward to reading future updates. Both of my EB projects are far worse than yours. I may never live long enough to complete either one, but I do love the projects and tracking down parts and getting to know other members on here.
Good luck with this bronco and let me know if you have any questions on heart transplantation. Transplantation has improved wonderfully since I have had mine...less rejection and more success rate. BTW, what type of virus was it? I had Sarcoid/cardiomyopathy.
Terry

Terry, they call it viral cardiomyopathy. They did a ton of testing in the beginning, but never found out the true cause. Im O+, and 6'4", so thats why I have been waiting 5+ years for a heart.

With that build name, you better paint it green!! Welcome!!

Thank you! Yes, it will be going back to factory original Holly Green. I will add a very subtle tan/beige/oatmeal type color to offset it and detail it. Its all in my head at the moment lol, but I know exactly what it will look like.

Here is the color Holly Green, code 'L'. Also, I finally got the engine, tranny, transfer case, etc all out of the back and degreased

Attachments

• 20170905_171245.jpg
    20170905_171245.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20170905_181559.jpg
    20170905_181559.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 75

chuckyb

Contributor
Hi Thomas - good luck with your project, it seems you and I have a similar amount of work to do and similar outcomes in mind. 67's are cool!

OP
OP
T

thomasstemmle

Loc.
Las Vegas
My future wall art lol. Tailgate is shot. I already got a replacement from wild horses. There was about 5 lbs of hornets nests inside too lol

Attachments

• 20170906_180307.jpg
    20170906_180307.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 105

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
With your health issues and inability to weld and heavy fabrication it might be better for you to consider a whole new tub. I want to see you live to enjoy your Bronco. Just something to think about.

OP
OP
T

thomasstemmle

Loc.
Las Vegas
With your health issues and inability to weld and heavy fabrication it might be better for you to consider a whole new tub. I want to see you live to enjoy your Bronco. Just something to think about.

I do understand what you are saying, and normally, I would say that if I were in your shoes as well. But, I should have died multiple times over the last 7 years, yet here I am. I refuse to give up, give in, or let adversity get in the way. I hope to inspire others to keep going, even when the odds are stacked up against them.
In an ideal world, Id get the call for a heart soon. Post transplant, the heart pump & defibrillator are removed, so I should be allowed to resume electrical work. My wife will be happy, because I cannot even use the clothes dryer lol

OP
OP
T

thomasstemmle

Loc.
Las Vegas
Well, not too much to update. And I guess I need to pull my foot out of my mouth; I stumbled across a great deal on a 1974 body tub from Broncos n' VWs. I thought I could make my tub work, but I just kept finding rot. A & B pillars were held together with paint pretty much.
I look forward to getting the 'new' tub. Not sure exactly what is different between 67 and 74.

Attachments

• 1974A.jpg
    1974A.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 1974B.jpg
    1974B.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 1974C.jpg
    1974C.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 1974D.jpg
    1974D.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 1974E.jpg
    1974E.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 100

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like a pretty good find from here.
But first I'd check the VIN (if it still exists?). It sure looks to have a Stroppe-like paint job. I see Poppy Red and White all over.
Not that you would then have a Stroppe of course. But it sure would be cool to have half of one!

Not much difference in the two bodies as far as making it fit the frame. Should bolt right on.
But the door strikers and latches on the two are different. That is actually a big deal, and either will create a new project for welding and fitting, or another project in finding some doors for a '74.

Have fun either way!

Paul

BajaFresh75

Bronco Guru
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the paint line in the picture of the WS frame and cowl. Any chance the vin sticker is still on the drivers side striker?