• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Windshield bolt broke off.

boatable

I have a 68 bronco. I have had since 77. The windshield has never been lowered. The bolt on the passenger side broke off. I was able to lower the windshield and the bolt is broken off flush. I drilled it out to tap it, but when doing so the flat metal inside the windshield came loose. Now I can not steady it to tap it out. Any ideas? I was thinking of welding it in place and then taping it, but I scared it would get to hot and melt the windshield casket.

65 mustang

You could cut that small section open,get that section out and burn it back together.(that's what I did). I didn't melt the gasket just stich a small section at a time. you could lay wet rags on the steel above that area before welding to suck some of the heat out. Scott

tml

Loc.
Ontario, Canada
There's only 2 welds that hold the nut to recieve the bolt that holds in place. So you broke the welds and the nut is turning inside? I had the same problem, I had to cut a larger hole to get nut out. You may have to do the same. Reweld a patch, grind, bondo and paint.

If you can get in there with a welder, Put some duck tape on the weather strip. The weld splash might burn it, I don't think the heat from the metal would minipulate the rubber providing you don't over weld...

got-broncos

Bronco Guru
I cut a small section open on the back side. I made new nuts out of 1/4" steel. Drilled and taped a hole,then plug welded it.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
If you fold the w/s frame down, you can cut a slot in the bottom that will never really need to be filled. If your hinge is removeable from the frame (I think most are welded), take it off first.

If you can't cut the bottom, cut low on the back so the dash & pad will hide it.

If you have to weld, spray silicone lube around the w/s gasket & then remove it. To see how, click my signature & look in the camper shell album.

When you get ready to put it back, don't use a regular nut. Make a 1/4" plate with a threaded hole & slip that inside the frame. Make it too large to spin, and you'll never have to worry about this again.

That, and use anti-seize on the threads. ;)